PDA

View Full Version : Around the world stringing

watungga
03-26-2012, 12:51 PM
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/9823/headliquidmetal4.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/707/headliquidmetal4.jpg/)

My racquet is a 19x16.

is this the correct single string job?

(1) Head tied in first
(2) Tail tied last

Irvin
03-26-2012, 12:57 PM
Actually your racket is 16x19 but what kind is it? Most 16 main rackets skip either grommet holes 7 & 9 or 8 in the head and throat or a combination of the two. Not all require an ATW pattern. Most ATW patterns require a starting clamp do you have one?

watungga
03-26-2012, 01:46 PM
My racquet is a Head Liquidmetal 4.

I don't really get to understand the "skipping of grommet holes". I could not pinpoint those holes in my racquet.

I have 2 flying clamps, and I can manage to use 1 as a starting clamp.

The drawing is what I just created by using common sense :)

Irvin
03-26-2012, 04:58 PM
Here is an old video for the LM 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLxImgtDsFM

Wikky
03-26-2012, 09:14 PM
The video Irvin showed is a great example for a two piece string job and shows how to handle the throat piece of the racquet.

If you still want to do a 1 piece ATW pattern the easiest thing i can suggest is this: Pull just enough to do the entire short side and string all the mains except for the last main on the long side. Tie off your short side and weave the SECOND cross to the top, NOT THE FIRST.

When stringing the crosses you will notice that instead of starting over and finishing under (or the other way around) you will start under and finish under. Don't worry this is correct because you have one less main. You will have to make sure you remember to alternate starting over and under or else you will misweave. After stringing all of the crosses you will find yourself finishing on the side where you left a main on your long side. All you have to do now is weave up the main and then weave the top cross you left open and you're done.

If the racquet was 16x18 or 18x20 you would have started on the top cross so that you would end up on the correct side of the racquet. I hope this helps out, a lot better than stringing bottom up IMO.

Irvin
03-27-2012, 03:13 AM
If you're looking for the easiest ATW pattern here it is. If you have a starting clamp make your short side 3' longer string all the the two outside mains and hold the short side with a starting clamp. Using the long side to run in the second cross down to the next to last cross and tie off. Now use the tail on the short side to run the ATW stringing all the outside strings.

If you don't have a starting clamp tie off the short side and string all the the four outside strings as above. When you get to the bottom use the tail on the long side to run in all the outside strings.

watungga
03-27-2012, 09:13 AM
The video Irvin showed is a great example for a two piece string job and shows how to handle the throat piece of the racquet.

If you still want to do a 1 piece ATW pattern the easiest thing i can suggest is this: Pull just enough to do the entire short side and string all the mains except for the last main on the long side. Tie off your short side and weave the SECOND cross to the top, NOT THE FIRST.

When stringing the crosses you will notice that instead of starting over and finishing under (or the other way around) you will start under and finish under. Don't worry this is correct because you have one less main. You will have to make sure you remember to alternate starting over and under or else you will misweave. After stringing all of the crosses you will find yourself finishing on the side where you left a main on your long side. All you have to do now is weave up the main and then weave the top cross you left open and you're done.

With your above method, I could not tell big difference in compare to my drawing. I can't tell which one is more effective or safe. Maybe at the ending part, my drawing will hit a problematic holes to get in than yours....

This is how your method looks like to me:
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/264/lm4tw.png

.... After thorough analysis, I see your method having last cross on top makes it prone to much reduced tension during tie up.
.... Mine is perfectly stable coming from mains then crosses... (I'm not thinking of repercussions here yet...)

watungga
03-27-2012, 09:42 AM
If you're looking for the easiest ATW pattern here it is. If you have a starting clamp make your short side 3' longer string all the the two outside mains and hold the short side with a starting clamp. Using the long side to run in the second cross down to the next to last cross and tie off. Now use the tail on the short side to run the ATW stringing all the outside strings.

If you don't have a starting clamp tie off the short side and string all the the four outside strings as above. When you get to the bottom use the tail on the long side to run in all the outside strings.

Sorry, my head in pain trying to paraphrase and analyse your post. Seems like it has good spread in tensioning, but still could not get how I could draw it out like the one above.

Irvin
03-27-2012, 10:40 AM
Sorry, my head in pain trying to paraphrase and analyse your post. Seems like it has good spread in tensioning, but still could not get how I could draw it out like the one above.

Your drawings do not show an ATW pattern. You are showing how to string your crosses from the bottom to the top. The whole concept about an ATW pattern is to allow string from top to bottom which is safer for the racket.

The Head LM 4 has 16 mains at starts at the throat. There are 8 mains on each side and the mains will end at the throat of the racket. If you only string the center 14 mains the two ends will end at the head of the racket.

Now that you have both ends of the string at the top you can run in the 2nd to the 18th cross with the long side and you will have all your strings in except for the two outside mains, top, and bottom crosses.

Now comes the ATW you use either the short side or long side to run in all the outside strings. It will depend on whether you have a starting clamp, fixed clamps, or flying clamps as to which end is easiest to use to do the ATW (four outside strings.)

watungga
03-27-2012, 11:53 AM
Your drawings do not show an ATW pattern. You are showing how to string your crosses from the bottom to the top. The whole concept about an ATW pattern is to allow string from top to bottom which is safer for the racket.

The Head LM 4 has 16 mains at starts at the throat. There are 8 mains on each side and the mains will end at the throat of the racket. If you only string the center 14 mains the two ends will end at the head of the racket.

Now that you have both ends of the string at the top you can run in the 2nd to the 18th cross with the long side and you will have all your strings in except for the two outside mains, top, and bottom crosses.

Now comes the ATW you use either the short side or long side to run in all the outside strings. It will depend on whether you have a starting clamp, fixed clamps, or flying clamps as to which end is easiest to use to do the ATW (four outside strings.)

Now I got your point clearly now.

But, my drawing is indeed showing from top to bottom crosses. Look at the mains (2nd to the last main from rightside of paper) its going upward then it went to the 1st cross going leftbound.

Irvin
03-27-2012, 12:08 PM

But, my drawing is indeed showing from top to bottom crosses. Look at the mains (2nd to the last main from rightside of paper) its going upward then it went to the 1st cross going leftbound.

Yes you are right but what if you had an even number of crosses?

Irvin
03-27-2012, 12:10 PM

Yes you are right but what if you had an even number of crosses? Your pattern is not an ATW it is an up the side (and across the top,) and if you had an even number of crosses it would be across the bottom and up the side. What is the reasoning for leaving the top cross until the end?

watungga
03-28-2012, 10:11 AM
Yes you are right but what if you had an even number of crosses? Your pattern is not an ATW it is an up the side (and across the top,) and if you had an even number of crosses it would be across the bottom and up the side. What is the reasoning for leaving the top cross until the end?

Pretty good explanation. I didn't know why it was called ATW, as I had only known before that I use a single string. ATW is it.

barry
03-29-2012, 02:20 AM
The old 50 50 method is easier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QJxPjoH1_I

Irvin
03-29-2012, 04:46 AM
That is not the old 50/50 stringing method that is the two piece 50/50 method. And if you've ever used it you would know it is not easier.

EDIT: Just watch the way 'Yulitle' strings that racket and you will see how easy it is.

EDIT: Just in case you're interested here is the old 50/50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs6r8wZHPUk&feature=plcp&context=C4d02b22VDvjVQa1PpcFO8JJPJb1mvo72J1XqEfz48 sVPcsGw5N5c%3D

barry
03-29-2012, 11:17 AM
That is not the old 50/50 stringing method that is the two piece 50/50 method. And if you've ever used it you would know it is not easier.

EDIT: Just watch the way 'Yulitle' strings that racket and you will see how easy it is.

EDIT: Just in case you're interested here is the old 50/50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs6r8wZHPUk&feature=plcp&context=C4d02b22VDvjVQa1PpcFO8JJPJb1mvo72J1XqEfz48 sVPcsGw5N5c%3D
I used this pattern doing a one piece string job for years. If you do one piece stringing 50% of the string goes on each side of the main post. Very easy to learn and use, never had any complaints from customers. Much easier than 2 piece stringing since you eliminate coming up short. Sometimes still use it to break up the boredom of stringing.

This video is the one piece 50 50.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs6r8wZHPUk

Irvin
03-29-2012, 11:28 AM
I used this pattern doing a one piece string job for years. If you do one piece stringing 50% of the string goes on each side of the main post. Very easy to learn and use, never had any complaints from customers. Much easier than 2 piece stringing since you eliminate coming up short. Sometimes still use it to break up the boredom of stringing.

This video is the one piece 50 50.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs6r8wZHPUk

Yes that video is not bad but I like mine much better. LOL

Steve Huff
03-29-2012, 07:29 PM
I use a different ATW pattern altogether. I have hard weaves, but I don't mind. Stringing 1 ahead helps. The strings seem to lock in place better too. Have no evidence fo that except what my customers say.