PDA

View Full Version : How hard is to break a knot?

Xpherex
03-27-2012, 01:54 PM
I played with my friend, and he broke a knot or somewhere there, I use wilson pro knot when stringing but if I'm not wrong he broke the starting one, It happened around 10-15h of playing with the current racket. He hits with frame a lot but still is that possible?

coachrick
03-27-2012, 02:23 PM
I played with my friend, and he broke a knot or somewhere there, I use wilson pro knot when stringing but if I'm not wrong he broke the starting one, It happened around 10-15h of playing with the current racket. He hits with frame a lot but still is that possible?

(K)not hard at all, especially with framed shots.

Irvin
03-27-2012, 02:23 PM
I don't use starting knots and that's one reason. A pro knot is not designed to be used as a starting knot if that is what you mean.

Xpherex
03-27-2012, 02:47 PM
I don't use starting knots and that's one reason. A pro knot is not designed to be used as a starting knot if that is what you mean.No I don't use a wilson pro knot as a starting knot it's pattern is 16X19 and starting from head so the main ties are at top and as the starting knot also starts top somewhere near one of the knots, I just guessed. Well it happened after he received a serve. it's not truly frame shots but somewhere near as the ball usually have side kicks from the ground. Also I'm not 100% sure as I haven't saw the racquet close. I was just wondering if that's even possible as I haven't ever saw this happens.

seekay
03-27-2012, 03:05 PM
It's hard to say for sure without seeing pictures of how it broke.

But the players I know who consistently hit near the frame also tend to hit (overly) hard -- it's just part of that stage of stroke development. When they break strings right at the grommet, it's pretty clear what happened.

It's possible that the knot was tied in a way that weakened the string it was tied to. It's also possible that your friend hit the ball such that it would have popped the string whether or not there was a knot there.

It's hard to say without seeing it. I'll be curious what you learn if you get the chance to examine it.

kato669
03-31-2012, 12:25 PM
I've broken a string at the knot before. All with lower priced gut strings (Gaucho, Global, etc.). Learned the hard way you have take it easier than you would a syn gut when tying knots.

However, it's just as easy to shank the shot and break a string, especially at the knot area (for basically the same reason..lots of stress in the knot area)

However, ymmv

tball
04-06-2012, 12:59 PM
It happened to me several times. When I was just learning stringing, I would make mistakes with knots. Once, I pulled too hard, and broke the string it was tied around of. Since then, I eased off on hard-pulling, and this is no longer a problem. But the point is: if you pull too hard, you can compromise the anchor string. The second mistake I used to make is I sometimes would construct the knot incorrectly, then I would notice, undo and re-tie it. Certain strings cannot tolerate re-tying. I had that knot break on the second day. The point is: the knot has to be tied once -- you cannot redo it.

Leaving the knot problems aside, I sometimes had 2 mains break together -- strangely, right at the grommets, where they enter the frame. I have no explanation for this. This has nothing to do with the stringing technique, clamps, machine, knots, etc. I believe it was caused purely by a mis-hit, suddently putting too much sideway shearing pressure on the string which it could not handle. In other words, this is just natural and normal, and nobody is at fault.

PBODY99
04-06-2012, 06:05 PM
Most strings are weaker at a knot than in a straight line. A mishit at the top will load the knot beyond its breaking point.

ted619
04-13-2012, 10:32 PM
I don't use starting knots and that's one reason. A pro knot is not designed to be used as a starting knot if that is what you mean.

I haven't been using them either. I use the starting clamp and then just tie off the cross. Maybe I learned this in one of your videos? I think this is easier, neater, and better in general. It is really hard to screw this up. No?