PDA

View Full Version : 15 years old, looking to make a small amount of cash

vivekf
05-01-2004, 08:17 PM
I am 15 years old and am wondering whether it would be a good idea to buy a stringing machine to string my rackets and maybe a few others'. I probably only have up to 500 dollars to work with. what machine would be accurate as well as dependable and easy to work with. thanks, vivek

Rod K
05-01-2004, 09:34 PM
I commend you on your ambition. I would definately buy a machine. I don't think you can find a job where you'll make as much $ per hour as stringing (until you've got some post high school education or training under your belt). Definately go for it!

I'll leave it to others more knowlegable to advise you on which stringer to get. I've got a used Alpha for $200 if your interested. rkoehler@jps.net

Smashlob
05-02-2004, 06:40 AM
I am not a huge fan of flying clamps, so you should try to get a machine with fixed clamps.

There probably is not enough money for a standing machine, so a table-top is probably best.

There is the Alpha Revo 4000 for sale at TW for 599 (you could find it cheaper, elswhere, but TW gives you a 1 year membership to the USRSA, a great thing for any string to have), if this is too high, then perhaps a dropweight such as the Gamma Progression II 602FC would be good for you.

Any machine in that price range will pay for itself over time.

iamamultitasker
05-02-2004, 07:26 AM
This is a good idea for a small business particularly at your age.

My suggestion is to buy a cheap stringer such as a Klippermate just to start. I have one and it does the job fine although there are certainly much faster stringing machines. I can do a quality job in about 30 minutes if I work hard and 35 if I go leisurely.

My reasoning in starting with the cheap stringer is that you can find out if you like stringing and if you can get enough clients to warrant a move to a higher level stringer. Stringing gets pretty boring after a while and doing it a lot doesn't appeal to me although some obviously like it enough. If you start out with the Klipper, you can use the profits to move up to a faster model as the situation dictates. If you don't like stringing, you can always use the Klipper to do your own racquets and the money will still be well spent.

Good luck.

Gaines Hillix
05-02-2004, 07:50 AM
Several good posts here already....IMO, if you opt for the cheaper option, I'd go with an ATS SS II instead of a Klippermate. They are about the same price and the SS II is easier to use because of the ratcheting tension head. You can resell it for 3/4 of what you paid for it if you want to upgrade or decide you really don't like stringing. The Revo 4000 deal on TW is a good one. You get a good machine, good customer service from Alpha and the USRSA membership is worth every penny, IMO. You might also want to contact Mark Gonzalez at Alpha, mark@alphatennis.com, if you decide to take a look at that machine.

PrestigeClassic
05-03-2004, 01:50 PM
With your $500. buy someone's lawnmower that they want to get rid of, and other lawncare tools, and start mowing lawns. Tennis is so dead these days, but lots of people have lawns, and in some areas, they most all pay outside services to cut them.

chang10is
05-05-2004, 12:25 PM
How many racquets do you plan on stringing each year? If you string racquets often enough to justify getting a better machine, I would probably go that route instead of getting a Klippermate or ATS-SS2. You'll get a machine with features of higher quality, like a better mounting system and better clamps. It'll be easier to use, easier to produce a good string job, and it'll also probably be safer for the racquet. If you do go with a cheaper machine, though, I agree with Gaines that the ATS-SS2 is a better choice.

Rod K
05-05-2004, 07:27 PM
Mowing lawns could be an alternative, but don't forget to also buy a power edger/whacker, wheelbarrow, brooms, rakes, and a truck to haul it all around it.

The whole reason I PLAY tennis is to AVOID yard work! Get a stringer.

i.Radical
05-07-2004, 05:51 PM
I was just wondering, how hard is it to learn/use a stringing machine? I'm also thinking about getting one...

PHSTennis
05-07-2004, 09:39 PM
I dont know but sounds like anyone can learn it. Im about to order a Alpha BLU DC Plus :)