PDA

View Full Version : hybrid machine

mr. stevo
05-01-2004, 10:11 PM
hi, i'm a newbie at this but i really like to do extensive research before i buy anything and i was just wondering, if i am a handy man, would it be possible if i bought a drop weight machine that holds a racket quite firmly then construct a base that will support the wise 2086? Reason for this is that i am willing to spend around 1000 on a new stringing machine, and i was looking at the alpha revo4000 but i stumbled on the wise 2086 not too long ago. And this idea stirred up. The wise 2086 seems really appealing to me and i thought if i could buy a drop weight and somehow fix up a base that supports both of the machine i would save a bunch of money and have a great stringing machine. Any opinions would be gladly accepted to help me decide if i should buy the alpha machine or just build a hybrid. thanks for you time.

Smashlob
05-02-2004, 07:42 AM
I do believe that the machine has to be a crank/lockout to use a Wise 2086, and no amount of modification that you do to a dropweight will make a difference, because it needs the tensioner track.

Gaines Hillix
05-02-2004, 08:55 AM
I agree, I don't think this would be practical. The Wise head is designed to fit on a crank machine's tension head arm. Anything is possible, but I don't think it would be worth the effort.

mr. stevo
05-02-2004, 10:22 AM
okay thanks for the reply's, it was just a thought. i will go ahead a purchse an alpha revo 4000.

rich s
05-02-2004, 03:18 PM
Sorry but my thoughts are just the opposite.

I have a Progression 602FC and I have been toying with the idea of doing just what mr. stevo is talking about.

If you can weld or know someone who does and have a little bit of mechanical inclination it would be quite easy to do.

rich

Xanataos
05-02-2004, 06:11 PM
How much is the Wise Tension head?

mr. stevo
05-02-2004, 06:30 PM
yep rich, all you needed to find was a peice of metal that is closely matched to the tensioner, i thought it would be easy since i looks like just a long peice of metal and all you would need to do is weld it on to the base. I am very interested in this idea but i don't know anyone that owns welding eqiupment. And i live in canada which stringing equipment are rare. I know it can be done but just wanted to see if anyone has done it.

Hawaii 5.0
05-03-2004, 12:57 AM
I think myself or someone could fabricate some kinda of custom track or mounting system for the WISE head.I've done custom fabriaction for different kinds of things and I've seen some incredible things done and know that very few things are impossible.If you have the time to make this happen then go for it,as long as it's worth it to you.The problem with this is that few stringers have done this if any,and it voids the warranty and is unproven.Also any problems from then on need to be custom fixed since you fabricated everything.Take your time and see what needs to be done and plan,then do it.If not don't stress over it because it was a good idea and someone will probably end up doing it.

jdcal
05-03-2004, 12:31 PM
I own a Alpha Pioneer III drop weight machine in which I made various upgrades.
One of simplest was to adapt a Wise 2086. One very simple piece done with 2 steel plates of 2 x 1/4 inches welded in a mechanic repair shop and attached to the machine base by screws solves the problem. Here in Brazil I spent with this part about 20 dollars.

Gaines Hillix
05-03-2004, 03:46 PM
Let's see a picture of one of these hybrid machines...

mr. stevo
05-03-2004, 11:38 PM
jdcal, yes could you please get a pic somehow in? and yes i know it would viod the warrenty.. but i guess that's a risk, but if anything would break on the stringing machine, it would break once you receive it and within the first couple uses you would notice it. As for the wise 2086, i dont think it be would considered voiding the warrenty if you just mounted it on a customized machine without changing/adding the actual machine...

Steve Huff
05-04-2004, 07:18 AM
You really don't need the long arm tension track that they're referring too. All you really need is a base to mount it to. You could actually make a base out of an ironing board if you wanted. First, you'd have to drill a couple of holes in it to mount the Wise Tension head. Then, you could either remove the entire mounting system from a drop-weight machine and mount it to the ironing board, or you could just remove the drop-weight and mount the rest of the machine to the ironing board. Just measure the distance so that the furthest mounting arm barely clears the Wise tension head. Also, you may have to build up either the mounting system or the tension head so that you'd get a horizontal string pull (this would be best anyway). If the ironing board isn't sturdy enough, get a 1" thick slab of cultured marble or slate or 1/4" piece of flat iron, and bolt it to the top of the ironing board to act as a base for both your systems. You could even make a height adjustment using the fold down legs. Who irons these days anyway. You may have the perfect use for that obsolete piece of equipment yet.

jdcal
05-04-2004, 08:37 AM
Tomorrow I will receive my digital camera back from the repair shop (it fell on the floor). Soon I will post some photos.

mr. stevo
05-04-2004, 09:19 AM
steve! that was what i was going to write down EXACTLY but not from an ironing board, i was thinking in terms of someting more solid but anyways, i was going to say that but for some people portability would be an issue =/

jdcal
05-10-2004, 02:33 PM
At the link http://www.terra.com.br/fotos/album.cgi/585791 there are some photos of Pioneer III with Wise 2086. This adapter was made on 2000. If I would make it today, it would be much simpler, as in the two last photos.

mr. stevo
05-10-2004, 03:23 PM
wow, now that is really cool. thanks alot jdcal. Props to you for making that.

Gaines Hillix
05-10-2004, 05:36 PM
Looks like a nice job of converting it!

Steve Huff
05-10-2004, 09:14 PM
Looks like quality to me. Looks clean and sturdy. Nice job.

Wondertoy
02-01-2007, 10:35 PM
Has anyone else made this conversion of the Wise to work on a drop machine?