PDA

View Full Version : Stringing EXO3s with or without grommets

Korso
03-29-2012, 07:58 PM
Any time I string the the Prince Rebel EXO3 without the grommetts one of the mains tends to shear very quickly. If I string the mains with the grommets in and take the grommetts out on the crosses how will this perform? Is there something I am doing wrong while stringing that is causing this issue? It is the only raquet I have had any shearing issues with.

Korso
03-30-2012, 07:43 AM
After doing some research through the forums I have answered my own question. The shearing is common in the EXO3 and tubing is one method of eliminating the problem. I am still curious if the racquet performs with the grommets inserted on the top and bottom but not on the O-ports

esgee48
03-30-2012, 11:05 AM
The purpose of the ports according to Prince is to widen the sweetspot. Having grommets for the mains will contract the sweetspot. Having ports in the crosses will widen the sweetspot. This would be similar to stringing a bed with 50# mains and 45# crosses.

PBODY99
03-30-2012, 11:25 AM
I insert a small pad under the tubing for Port players who have shearing troubles at the top of the frame.
I have no knowledge about the diminished sweet spot. I only used this set up with natural gut mains and I did not notice a difference in power,vs when i did not use tubing with gut.

Korso
03-30-2012, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the replies. Everything you are saying sounds logical.

Irvin
03-30-2012, 12:39 PM
I am not really sure what you means when you say grommets. Here is picture of and EXO3 with grommets:
http://www.imaccani.net/lato%20a%20posto%20black.jpg
Inserting tubing around the string will not do the same thing. Because of the point at which some string bend (at the outer edge of the frame) in the ported rackets the strings do have a tendancy to shear and putting tubing in there helps.

Korso
03-30-2012, 02:25 PM
I am not really sure what you means when you say grommets. Here is picture of and EXO3 with grommets:
http://www.imaccani.net/lato%20a%20posto%20black.jpg
Inserting tubing around the string will not do the same thing. Because of the point at which some string bend (at the outer edge of the frame) in the ported rackets the strings do have a tendancy to shear and putting tubing in there helps.

From what I understand if you do not use the grommets the racquet becomes more forgiving for this reason a lot of customers request the raquet strung without them. Are you saying the tubing will cause the racquet to play the same as it would with the grommets? If this is the case there is no point in using them over the grommet inserts. What I am thinking is that if I string with tubing where there is issues with shearing that the racquet will still perform as if it did not have the grommets in. Please tell me if my logic is wrong.

Clintspin
03-30-2012, 08:17 PM
The way I understand your question is would it work fine if you used only the grommets in the head of the racquet and not on the sides. Sure it might even suit you better. Why not give it a try?

Irvin
03-31-2012, 12:05 AM
From what I understand if you do not use the grommets the racquet becomes more forgiving for this reason a lot of customers request the raquet strung without them. Are you saying the tubing will cause the racquet to play the same as it would with the grommets? If this is the case there is no point in using them over the grommet inserts. What I am thinking is that if I string with tubing where there is issues with shearing that the racquet will still perform as if it did not have the grommets in. Please tell me if my logic is wrong.

I believe you are correct.