PDA

View Full Version : Stringing Machine for a beginner

rb__11
03-31-2012, 02:07 PM
I live in Europe so it can't be any Stringing Machine. I don't want a bad Stringing Machine but i can't afford a too expensive one.
So, give me your thoughts please

loosegroove
04-01-2012, 10:20 PM
You should probably mention a budget, and how frequently you'll be stringing. Also, are there any features you definitely would like ie. crank tensioner, fixed clamps, six point mounting, etc. Or maybe you don't even know and that's why you're here asking in the first place.

Kam2010
04-02-2012, 02:08 AM
I was in a similar position as you about 8 months ago I think.
I personally think it depends on how much you are going to use it, if you want one for personal use or one you would look to may some money on telling players at the club or even friends etc etc.

I decided to buy a cheap one but one that I know others do have and recommended it to being a good one,
Tyger Eco45 is the one I went for it costs about 240 and does it's job very well indeed.

rb__11
04-02-2012, 05:44 AM
You should probably mention a budget, and how frequently you'll be stringing. Also, are there any features you definitely would like ie. crank tensioner, fixed clamps, six point mounting, etc. Or maybe you don't even know and that's why you're here asking in the first place.

i know what that is (of course). I was thinking about not spending more than 300 dollars.

loosegroove
04-02-2012, 07:08 AM
i know what that is (of course). I was thinking about not spending more than 300 dollars.

I'm sure you know what those features are. I meant that maybe you weren't sure which features you wanted.

rb__11
04-02-2012, 07:19 AM
I'm sure you know what those features are. I meant that maybe you weren't sure which features you wanted.

oh sorry. i'll string my racquets and my racquets only which means i'll string about 2 racquets in 3 weeks

kengan
04-02-2012, 10:27 AM
I'm in the same boat as you, and 2 machines that fit the bill is gamma X2 and klippermate. I'll probably get the gamma x2 just cause it's available from amazon, and maybe order some separate clamps if the ones included are as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

rb__11
04-02-2012, 12:28 PM
I'm in the same boat as you, and 2 machines that fit the bill is gamma X2 and klippermate. I'll probably get the gamma x2 just cause it's available from amazon, and maybe order some separate clamps if the ones included are as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

klippermate is terrible from what i've been hearing

ATP100
04-02-2012, 12:37 PM
Buy a Gamma, it will do the job. The clamps are fine.

beernutz
04-02-2012, 12:50 PM

You should talk to some people who have actually used one.

rb__11
04-02-2012, 02:24 PM
You should talk to some people who have actually used one.

do you think is good? 'cause i've seen reviews of it saying that it's terrible
and i want 6 mounting "pieces" (xD)

kengan
04-02-2012, 02:30 PM

Where did you hear that from? Klippermate looks just as good as any of the entry level stringing machines to me. They avg out at about 4.5 stars on amazon reviews with a total of 7 reviewers. Normally I wouldn't trust such a small sample size but amazon reviews have never let me down before ;)

rb__11
04-03-2012, 01:56 AM
Where did you hear that from? Klippermate looks just as good as any of the entry level stringing machines to me. They avg out at about 4.5 stars on amazon reviews with a total of 7 reviewers. Normally I wouldn't trust such a small sample size but amazon reviews have never let me down before ;)

thanks. i guess i went to the wrong spot :P

cknobman
04-03-2012, 09:03 AM

You've heard wrong. I love my Klippermate and it is built to last, not a single cheap part anywhere on it.

If you get one I highly recommend getting the stand with it.

gmatheis
04-03-2012, 02:29 PM
If you want just the bare basics a klippermate and gamma x-2 are both fine machines, much of the difference between them boils down to preference between composite gamma clamps or metal klippermate clamps.

I know a former Div1 player that strung on a klippermate and loved it.

If you aren't comfortable with the 2pt mounting you can step up to the Gamma progression 2 602 which gets you your 6pt mounting but is about $350 (and you said your budget was $300) OR you could keep watching the auction site and try to get a used machine.

Personally if I were only going to string 2 rackets every 3 weeks I think the x2/klippermate is a good way to go as it will leave you enough money for almost 2 reels of string (at least for me it would as the BHBR i use is $80 a reel)

rb__11
04-05-2012, 02:57 PM
thanks to all.
PS: next time i hear things i'll double check. sorry if i ofended anyone

G34
04-05-2012, 04:02 PM

You've heard wrong. I love my Klippermate and it is built to last, not a single cheap part anywhere on it.

If you get one I highly recommend getting the stand with it.

My first and last machine will be the Klippermate. I've own this machine since 1990 I think I paid $100 for it. It paid off the first year I started using it. This was the best investment I made. Just my two cents.

QuadCam
04-05-2012, 06:02 PM
the klipper is a good unit. like G34, I bought one in 1989 or 1990. I used it solely to string my own racquets and it was great. I could string it consistantly for my setup and it would take me about an hour without rushing it.

I never had any problems with the 2 point mounting system either. I would even string my mains 1 side at a time which people will tell you that it warps or cracks frames.....don't tell my frames that! I never broke any of my frames that I strung on my old klippermate.

Unfortunately, I threw my klippermate out one year. I hadn't played tennis in several years and I got sick of it taking up space in the garage. I did keep the vise grip/clamps. those things are great. I never knew how much better those KM clamps were than the other flying clamps on the market. So simple and so effective!