PDA

View Full Version : absolute beginer

joshthefisher
03-31-2012, 06:14 PM
Never had a machine never srung a raquet, watched mine get strung a couple of times at a pro shop but tired of paying and waiting for stringing.
Looking for a decent machine & would like to avoid flying clamps. I dont know if drop weight is more or less complicated but thats why i'm asking.
Looking to spend around $500, looking for recomendations.
Thanks
Josh

oldcity
03-31-2012, 06:48 PM
Gamma and alpha have machines in that range with fixed clamps. Read the sticky at top of page lots of good info. :)

joshthefisher
03-31-2012, 08:38 PM
ive seen some of these at decent prices any thoughts on them

joshthefisher
03-31-2012, 09:25 PM
Eagnas: Flex 840, GBII, Challenger I, Flex 740 or Gamma: Progression II 602 FC. Any recomendations or complaints about these machines?

COPEY
03-31-2012, 10:19 PM
Eagnas seems to be kind of a hit or miss proposition. Some guys have had no issues or only minor issues while others have reported a variety of problems ranging from flawed workmanship to very poor customer service. They (Eagnas machines) are appealing, however, because when you look at their prices compared to similar machines it seems like a no-brainer.

As for the Gamma you mentioned, I don't recall seeing any complaints. The customer service at Gamma is supposedly topnotch, and from what I've read (which has been considerable) people are very happy with their Gamma machines.

I own an Alpha, and their products/customer service is superb as well. Stringways are also highly regarded.

My advice is to read as much as you can. Lots of good info on these boards with a number of people posting their experiences - good & bad.

EdVin70
04-01-2012, 06:58 AM
Eagnas: Flex 840, GBII, Challenger I, Flex 740 or Gamma: Progression II 602 FC. Any recomendations or complaints about these machines?

IMHO, if you can find an well kept Gamma or Alpha for under 500 with tools, etc. you should go for it. If you go the Eagnas route, like I did, I'd say to stick with the Combo 810 or 910. I've had zero issues with mine and they seem to be the more solid machines in the crank line up.

Just be forwarned that their customer service is spotty. They've been easy to deal with from my perspective but its only been on the ordering side; no returns or warranty issues.

beernutz
04-01-2012, 08:40 AM
Check the used marketplace via craigslist or the bay. Try searchtempest.com for more effective craigslist searching. Personally I would (and did) rather take a chance on a used but still in good shape machine from Alpha, Gamma, or Prince (or other respected manufacturer) than buy a new machine from Eagnas.

joshthefisher
04-01-2012, 10:20 AM
Ag 602s, Ag 60408s

FLYTYER1964
04-01-2012, 07:41 PM
The Gamma Progression 602 FC or the X-6 are both really good machines in the under $500 price range. The only difference between these stringers is the bases and the cosmetics.

fortun8son
04-01-2012, 07:46 PM
I Have an Eagnas Combo 810 but it's over $500. Stick with Gamma or Alpha.

COPEY
04-01-2012, 09:19 PM
IMHO, if you can find an well kept Gamma or Alpha for under 500 with tools, etc. you should go for it. If you go the Eagnas route, like I did, I'd say to stick with the Combo 810 or 910. I've had zero issues with mine and they seem to be the more solid machines in the crank line up.

Just be forwarned that their customer service is spotty. They've been easy to deal with from my perspective but its only been on the ordering side; no returns or warranty issues.

Great post...and from an actual Eagnas owner. You see a lot of people bashing Eagnas based soley on what they've read. I was never tempted to get one, but I definitely understand the allure given their prices. I think for someone who's never strung before, knows absolutely nothing about stringing machines, and possibly not very adept with machinery (not saying that's you, Josh), buying an Eagnas could potentially be a very frustrating experience if the machine has issues. On the other hand, if you roll the dice and spring for one and never have any issues, it's a heck of deal. Still, as many have already said, the safe route is with an Alpha or Gamma.

Never had a machine never srung a raquet, watched mine get strung a couple of times at a pro shop but tired of paying and waiting for stringing.
Looking for a decent machine & would like to avoid flying clamps. I dont know if drop weight is more or less complicated but thats why i'm asking.
Looking to spend around $500, looking for recomendations.
Thanks
Josh

Stringing, regardless of machine type, isn't a complex task. That said, there are definitive methods/practices that separate good stringers from bad stringers. As for the machine type, there are quite a few people with Klippermates, X-2s, and Progression 200s who are very content with their machines. Drop weights are a little more labor intensive, but they're definitely not any more difficult to string on in my opinion. If you're only doing a few racquets a sub-$200 machine makes sense when you consider it'll pay for itself in less than a year.

My suggestion is to buy as much machine as you can afford, and even if you overshoot your budget it's certainly not a bad thing. Again, stringing your own racquets saves money*, so the machine will eventually pay for itself. How long it takes depends on how much machine you buy. ;-)

*Saving money - it's also possible that at some point, well before the machine you buy pays for itself, you end up spending more money as a result of having your own stringer. What happens is you start reading the string section of the forum, maybe trying a few different strings here and there based on the comments of others, and before you know it you're off and running--buying different strings every chance you get. There are just so many flavors, and you simply have to sample them all! Now, if it turns out you end up stringing for a small group of friends or locals, you can offset the money you're spending on your string habit (an apt description really) to some degree.

That's possibly more info than you want/need at this stage, but I'm telling you, once you have a stringer and get to the point where you're proficient, it doesn't take long to get hooked on sampling various string types.

Best of luck in your search. Keep reading, and keep asking questions!

RetroSpin
04-02-2012, 07:39 AM
I Have an Eagnas Combo 810 but it's over $500. Stick with Gamma or Alpha.

I'm curious if you had issues with your Eagnas, or if you're just being cautious? I totally get the risk with Eagnas, but the Combo 810 and 910 look like a heck of a machine for the money.

EdVin70
04-04-2012, 09:40 AM
I'm curious if you had issues with your Eagnas, or if you're just being cautious? I totally get the risk with Eagnas, but the Combo 810 and 910 look like a heck of a machine for the money.

Just as a FYI ,I have the 910 and had zero issues and its been pretty accurate at lockout using a digital scale. Then again, I only string a few times a month for myself, my son and a couple of friends.

LanEvo
04-04-2012, 09:55 AM
I have an older version of the Gamma Prog. II FC. It works really well, I enjoy it, easy to use the only concern were the plastic clamps as they can wear out, but the machine has been used for over 10yrs. Through countless stringings and it's all held up and continue to work.

gmatheis
04-04-2012, 02:21 PM
I have an older version of the Gamma Prog. II FC. It works really well, I enjoy it, easy to use the only concern were the plastic clamps as they can wear out, but the machine has been used for over 10yrs. Through countless stringings and it's all held up and continue to work.

For an extra $20 you can go with the Gamma x-6fc which I believe has all metal clamps.

pvaudio
04-04-2012, 03:26 PM
I started with an Eagnas Flex 940. It's still being used today, having changed hands a few times and works like when I goti t years ago. The customer service truly is hit or miss. Their pricing is also very questionable. The machine was a bit under $500. I wanted to upgrade to the spring assisted clamp bases (available on a machine which costs about $40 more with all else equal) instead of the cone locks. They wanted $200 for the clamp bases. Not $20, $200. It's this sort of ridiculous practice that earns them a bad name, but the machines themselves are more or less fine. The paint isn't as flawless as a Gamma or Alpha nor is the feel of the machine. But it will string a racquet, consistently, and for a long time. To contrast, when I got my Silent Partner Aria, the turntable felt like butter in comparison. My sister had the Eagnas first after me, and then got a Gamma 5003. The feel of the parts while stringing is like going from an economy car to a Mercedes. Will still get you where you need to go, but the difference in quality is immediately obvious. Makes the process all that more enjoyable as well.

joshthefisher
04-04-2012, 05:08 PM
Progression II 602 FC and x6 fc. so the clams on the x6 are better?