PDA

View Full Version : Prince Neos String Crimping Problem - Beginner

ahoomira
04-04-2012, 08:51 PM
Hi All -
I just started stringing with a Prince Neos 1000. I'm pretty new to this so please bear with me and I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong here or its just the machine. I would think I'm doing something wrong.

Well when I tension the string, then tension head (jaws) always leave crimp marks on the strings. I don't know how to not do this. My procedure is, I put the string in between the jaws and crank. The jaws grab the string and tension it, I always get marks (crimping on my strings). Today I strung a racquet with a 16 gauge poly at 60lbs and the string snapped within 15 minutes. I can tell it snapped where one of the crimps were from the tension head. By the way it was Volkl Xplosion strings. However, I also noticed on another racquet of mine I strung with Volkl Cyclone and on a part of the string where it was crimped by the tension head, you can pretty much see the string is splitting.

SO....I know I'm doing something wrong here, so can someone enlighten me on the things I need to do/need not to do?

Thanks guys!

zapvor
04-04-2012, 09:07 PM
sounds like you got the clamps too tight. adjust it so its a bit looser, but not too loose so the string slips when you pull tension

sstchur
04-04-2012, 10:09 PM
Sometimes what I would do when I was starting out was take a black crayon, or a grease pencil (something that wasn't permanent) and mark the string between the teeth once I've clamped it. That way I could visually see if there was any slipping and adjust accordingly (and if you're seeing indentations on the string, you can loosen the clamps and still be sure it wasn't too loose if you have the pencil mark as a guide).

Usually you don't have to do this for very long. You being to get a feel for the right amount of pressure over time.

But I still use the trick every once in a while, especially if I'm stringing on a machine that I'm less familiar with or which has clamps whose feel I'm not familiar with. It's a nice way to to attach a visual to the learning process for getting the right feel for clamping pressure.

ahoomira
04-04-2012, 11:06 PM
Thanks all. It's not necessarily the clamps but the strung jaws that are doing the damage. It's the jaws that secure the strin to pull tension. Is there a way to adjust how tightly the jaws grip the string?

dancraig
04-05-2012, 12:56 AM
Thanks all. It's not necessarily the clamps but the strung jaws that are doing the damage. It's the jaws that secure the strin to pull tension. Is there a way to adjust how tightly the jaws grip the string?

Turn the screw that extends out from the gripper plates. Screw in to grip less, out to grip more.

Irvin
04-05-2012, 01:32 AM
When adjusting that screw on the back of the gripper it is important to know it is a stop screw. When you screw it in the gripper travels less and will not grip the string as tight screw it out and it travels more and grips tighter.

But I do not think that is your problem. You will have more ghosting if it grips too tight but I don't think it will be bad enough to really damage the string like you're saying. I would check the string gripper for any burrs or rough marks.

Try placing a business card around your string when you grip it. If it does not damage the string then you know you have a rough gripper as the business card will make it squeeze together even tighter but protect the string from the gripper.

EDIT: It could also be that your gripper is just really dirty. Try cleaning it with alcohol and put a drop or two of machine oil on the bearings to see if it helps. If the string slips through the gripper it will cause damage.

Clintspin
04-05-2012, 03:34 AM
Unless this is a brand new machine, the problem is not one you are likely going to fix. The guys at Tennis Machines fixed this problem for me. Some of the grippers were made with grooves that are too deep. They milled them down and it was all paid for by Prince.

Gamma Tech
04-05-2012, 04:52 AM
Try experimenting to see if your problem is caused by the gripper being set too tight or if it’s something on the surfaces of the gripping jaws. I agree with sstchur’s suggestion of marking the string with a crayon. Use a section of scrap, but the same type, of string you have had problems with. Intentionally set the gripper to the point where it leaves marks. Using the crayon mark the string and make several pulls with very minor adjustments backing off on the gripper pressure. Keep making pulls until the string starts to slip a little. Make sure when gripping/pulling you move to a “clean” spot on the string each time. You will establish a point of reference for finding the spot where the string is being held just enough so it won’t slip, but not too tight.

If, while going through the process above, the string continues being molested by the gripper, then as Irvin's suggests the problem is in the surface of the gripper itself.

ahoomira
04-05-2012, 01:22 PM
Yeah I finally got it. I didn't realize that screw tightens the jaws. I looked at it carefully for a while before my original post but just didn't think that's what it did. Anyway, THANKS to everyone! Problem solved!

dancraig
04-06-2012, 12:02 AM
Yeah I finally got it. I didn't realize that screw tightens the jaws. I looked at it carefully for a while before my original post but just didn't think that's what it did. Anyway, THANKS to everyone! Problem solved!

You're welcome. :rolleyes:

nutcase
09-18-2012, 05:04 AM
Just curous, how much tension are you stringing the racquet to using the Cyclone?

Roger Wawrinka
09-18-2012, 05:09 PM

Chotobaka
09-18-2012, 07:26 PM
As the others pointed out, your most likely clamping the string to tight.

Well, now that's officially settled.