PDA

View Full Version : Better racquet/string selection program

DinkKillSlice
04-05-2012, 06:26 AM
Dear TW Staff,
I believe that I am something akin to your average customer. I am not a stickophile/grommetophile/stringophile like many of your technical users. I am in my 50s, play at a 4.0 NRTP rating, reasonably intelligent and I desire a more straightforward way of identifying a new racquet. I’ve spent many hours on your site reading racquet specs, reviews, and demoing racquets. Even though you offer some of the best services available, it is still very difficult to sort through the vast amount of information and make logical choices about your products. My goal is to encourage you to find a better way of presenting all your information. In fact, my desire is to make finding the right racquet/strings much more like going to an optometrist than a tarot card reader. In an ideal world, any player should be able to pick up a two racquets, and identify which one is better, and than follow a logical progression to find a racquet that is right for each individual (is this better or that better, now is this better or that better, etc…).
So here would be my vision, you use crowd sourcing (I can supply a couple of good sites for this) to develop a program that combines all the data on each racquet and string that you sell. This info, coupled with some good tennis knowledge (what factors make a racquet more powerful, or what factors make a racquet easier on tennis elbow, etc…) would allow me to come into your site and put in some parameters of interest; your site would than give me a list of racquets to demo. After demoing those racquets, I can further refine my search; I liked this about racquet A, or didn’t like this about racquet B. The program takes this info and provides some other options. The answer might just be to use different strings on B, or it may take me to racquet E, F and G to demo. Additionally, you could build in modifying the racquet into the program. So if I liked this racquet, but it was not as heavy or stable as I would like, the program could recommend other related racquets, or adding lead tape to the current choice.
My best guess is that the program could probably be made for $5000-10,000 through these crowd sourcing sites. I think that the average user of your site would find this type of information extremely helpful. Once the program is complete, you could use your racquet testers to begin working out the kinks in the system. Additionally, you can use your vast customer base to continue to refine the programming via feedback from the demoing. In the end, you could have a tool that gives anyone interested the best chance of identifying the right racquet/strings for their style of play.
I thank you in advance for taking the time to read this and at least consider the possibilities.
DKS

eleventeenth street
04-05-2012, 10:27 AM
or you could just use these tools which actually seem to cover a lot of what you're talking about.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/RacquetHelp.html
http://www.racquetfinder.com/

the problem with this "program" you've developed is that many of the choices we make in terms of tennis gear is subjective. a program can't account for that aspect of what "works"

a "program" can only give you so much information about what you "need"

also, most of what this program of yours seems to do are things we as tennis players already do without the aid of a computer tool.

i don't really need a third party computer program to tell me what to do if i want more stability or power. or how to customize my racquets or whether i need to use different strings. only i can tell myself those things by experimenting and hitting.

this sounds too much like babolat's play and connect robot racquet of the future.

a little self education and demoing/experimenting goes a long way

TW Professor
04-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Don't forget the TWU "Racquet Selection Guide Specs-tacular" program that does all of this and much more.

http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/cgi-bin/racquetspecs2.cgi

Just make sure you click on all the options and highlighted mouse-over items to see all the levels of information and comparison available.

Also, for string, the TWU String Comparison program:

http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/stringselector/stringselector.php

...and the TWU String Performance Database:

http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/reporter.php

DinkKillSlice
04-06-2012, 06:03 AM
I have tried all these resources, and none have helped me find a good racquet. I only really engage in thinking about racquets once a decade. Last time I looked into racquet technology was 8 years ago when I started getting tennis elbow. At that time, the best rated racquet for tennis elbow was the Prince Original Graphite. So that is the racquet I play. Now that I have been moved to 4.0 this year, I need more from my racquet than just protecting my elbow. I have demoed 8 racquets, and don't feel any closer to finding the best racquet than when i started. Each racquet I have demoed, has things that are better than my POG and things not as good. Since all the specs are there for each racquet, i feel that if I spent a significant amount of time comparing and contrasting, I probably could figure it out on my own, but that is why I mentioned developing a new program. I don't really want to become an expert in racquets, I just want to find a great racquet and keep playing.

ollinger
04-06-2012, 07:23 AM
I too have been unable to find a good racquet. But I'm considering the possibility that it might be my level of skill.