PDA

View Full Version : Experimental Patterns


tball
04-06-2012, 10:52 AM
I read the spaghetti stringing thread with great pleasure.
This is kind of contination of that, but will discuss different patterns.
I thought I'd post some experiments of mine and results. If someone else has done anything interesting like this, I'd love to read.

tball
04-06-2012, 11:03 AM
I do not know how this is called, or whether it has a name at all. I'd call it double-skip. The crosses are woven not over/under/over, but over/over/under/under. I know it is not legit, but I do not play in those tournaments where it matters. So, t his is how it looked when new:

http://i40.tinypic.com/14xjexx.jpg

The ideas was to liberate mains to move freely, similar to what spaghetti stringing does.

The strings there are TF RedCode 17 @ 44 X Gamma TNT2 17 @ 42.

For a long time, since I had this, I was not impressed by it. I did not feel the spin being any superior to many other racquets. So, I was just going to ignore this, and forget about it ... until 4 days ago.

tball
04-06-2012, 11:23 AM
4 days ago, I put this in. Again, not sure what's the name for it.

http://i40.tinypic.com/n2o68o.jpg

This is WC Mosquito Bite 18 @ 46 x Head RIP Control @ 46.

The idea here was to
(1) neutralize hot spots in the center of London;
(2) increase the sweetspot and make those off-center shots salvageable;
(3) keep the spin as high as possible.

Both strings turned out to be quite "dead", so 1 is achieved.

(2) is overarchieved. On day 1, the difference between hitting on the poly, and hitting on the multi was breath-taking. It was "dead!", "live!", "dead!", "live!". Quite incredible. Especially considering that this is coming from one and the same racquet. While this was exactly what I was aiming for, the effect turned out to be a bit too dramatic. Luckily, on day 3, the stringbed neutralized itself, and the differences between the red zone and the black zone evened out. Off-center shots are still lively. Shots on the center stip gained a bit of power. And I get a nice sound difference to tell me where I hit. The sweetspot is bigger now, and I am almost happy.

(3) -- sadly, spin turned out to be very weak. I picked Mosquito Bite because it was highly reviewed for its spin, but compared to what I had in this raquet before, it's very weak. What I had before is Wilson NXT, TF X1, TF X1/Gamma TNT2, TF Red Code/Gamma TNT2. Also, feel is not great either.

Overall, I feel this pattern has a promise; I just need to pick better strings.
Maybe even combine it with pattern #1.

Pattern #1, which I initially dismissed as nothing special, turned out to be better in spin, and feel.

Irvin
04-06-2012, 03:26 PM
look real close notice the two colors of string?

http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp304/Irvin44_2008/HPIM28271.jpg

Wikky
04-06-2012, 09:03 PM
I'd love to see a picture of the outside of that racquet Irvin, it has to be a mess

Irvin
04-07-2012, 01:39 AM
I'd love to see a picture of the outside of that racquet Irvin, it has to be a mess

Actually it was pretty neat looking there were a lot of crossovers but not bad.

brownbearfalling
04-08-2012, 12:12 AM
There is a thread of someone stringing a Wilson Kfactor 90 with a diagonal string pattern. (powerangle racquet like)

Some things that you might consider trying:
1. Skipping holes. The prince graphite midsize's 14x16 is inspiration for this. I presume it would give you more power.

2. Incorporating 3 different strings into 1 racquet. Maybe even 4 different strings.

3. On a racquet with big grommet holes, like an over size racquet or maybe a wilson six one 95 Team version, you might try 2 string to every grommet most likely you need to use 18 or 18L gauge.