PDA

View Full Version : Tension Help

Hominator
04-06-2012, 05:30 PM
I normally get my racquets strung with natural gut at 57 lbs. by RPNY, which uses Wilson Baiardo machines. I'm out of town and my local stringer uses a Neos 1000. At what tension should I ask the stringer to string my racquets if I want to emulate my RPNY tension? Thanks.

esgee48
04-06-2012, 06:58 PM
Estimate that you will need to up the reference tension by at least 5-7 pounds. Problem with LO is once they lock out, the string starts to lose tension. CP will pull until they are clamped off. Other issue is at what speed the CP pulled the string. That can be set on the Wilson, but will be dependent on the stringer using the Neos. HTH.

mikeler
04-07-2012, 03:15 AM
General rule of thumb is up it 10%, so esgee48 is right on the money.

Hominator
04-12-2012, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. I'll try it out this weekend.

KerryR
04-13-2012, 06:15 AM
Another method for getting a LO tension to be more similar to a CP is to pull tension, release and move the clamp into position but don't clamp the string, then: hold the LO arm in position with one hand so that it won't move with the next step, release the LO with the other hand, and apply pressure to the crank 'til it locks out again, then clamp off quickly, which is easy because the clamp is already in position ready to go. This minimizes dramatically the drop in tension as the string relaxes.

Irvin has a video which demonstrates this, and Guts and Glory Extra has a blog article about the method as well...