PDA

View Full Version : Tension jaw leaves marks

BlxTennis
04-08-2012, 08:23 PM
I just noticed that the tension jaw makes these tiny vertical marks on my strings(not gut). I can feel it scrapping against my finger. They are not deep cuts. So far they are not a problem on my Poly, Multi or Synthetic strings both 16g & 17g. I don't think that will be good for natural guts. I adjusted the gripper so it's not too tighter but not slipper but the marks are still there. Is there anything I can do?

TennisNinja
04-08-2012, 09:25 PM
Try folding a business card or index card and have it on each side of the string.

BlxTennis
04-08-2012, 09:31 PM
Try folding a business card or index card and have it on each side of the string.

You mean make the business card U shape and insert into the jaw so that the card wraps around the string when pulling tension? Hm...I guess I can try that as long as it won't slip. Thanks for the tip. I will try that next time stringing.

Irvin
04-09-2012, 05:55 AM
Your string is slipping through the gripper. Clean it and use something to mark the string with to make sure it does not slip more.

MAX PLY
04-09-2012, 07:20 AM
^+1

And note, I recommend that you always clean first, then look to adjust. Slippage is almost always the result of residue that builds up in the gripper from the coating on most strings these days. Good luck.

BlxTennis
04-09-2012, 03:58 PM
I did check for slippage first and that does not appear the case. I adjusted the back screw to tighten or loose the jaw and in both cases, I felt the marks afterward.

BlxTennis
04-09-2012, 04:03 PM
I did check for slippage first and that does not appear the case. I adjusted the back screw to tighten or loose the jaw and in both cases, I felt the marks afterward.
I will try to clean the jaw and check again. Is it alchohal with cotton swap?

fortun8son
04-09-2012, 04:05 PM
An old shoelace dipped in alcohol works nicely for this.
Swabs leave fuzzies.

Ronaldo
04-09-2012, 04:25 PM
What is the best way to determine slippage?

Irvin
04-09-2012, 05:43 PM
What is the best way to determine slippage?

Mark the string with a sharpie before you pull and see if the mark moves.

Ronaldo
04-09-2012, 06:15 PM
Mark the string with a sharpie before you pull and see if the mark moves.

Ty, local stringer suggested backing up your clamp with a paper clip.

BlxTennis
04-09-2012, 08:18 PM
Ty, local stringer suggested backing up your clamp with a paper clip.

How does a paper clip back up a clamp?

retlod
04-09-2012, 08:33 PM
I think others may have misunderstood you. The marks are caused by the ridges in your tension gripper, right? They keep the string from slipping. If they leave marks, it's normal and won't damage the string.

BlxTennis
04-09-2012, 09:03 PM
I think others may have misunderstood you. The marks are caused by the ridges in your tension gripper, right? They keep the string from slipping. If they leave marks, it's normal and won't damage the string.

Yes, I think you know what I mean. If I get a chance, I will try to take a photo of what it looks like. They are tiny vertical marks on the string. I peaked inside the jaw and I can see that the jaw has these tiny groves as well. So even for natural gut that's not a concern? You all get that on your string from the jaw? You can definitely feel it when you run your finger across the area. The thing I noticed is that, the marks only happens from the front of the jaw closest to the mounting post. No marks on the string on the other end of the jaw. So if the jaw is 2" long, the marks is about 1/2" long with tiny scratched marks toward the front of the string where it's being clamped by the jaw.

Irvin
04-10-2012, 04:42 AM

If you can feel the roughness on the string after clamping it is not normal. Ghosting is OK but not marring. Maybe there is one burr somewhere.

Irvin
04-10-2012, 04:43 AM
How does a paper clip back up a clamp?

You place it about 1/4" away from the clamp if the distance changes you have slippage.

Ronaldo
04-10-2012, 06:53 AM
You place it about 1/4" away from the clamp if the distance changes you have slippage.

Maybe thats what he meant. My clips are a bit heavier, http://www.stringway-nl.com/afbeeldingen/acc/groot/flying-clamp10.jpg

dode
04-10-2012, 10:05 AM
My old alpha machine (15 years old) was that way. It was just the texture of the gripper that left marks on the string, and there was no adjustment for it. I used the business card trick and never had an issue.

John

BlxTennis
04-17-2012, 03:53 PM
Yup, business card trick took care of this although I can still feel on the string area where the gripper grips. If not for the card, it will leave tiny groves in a small area of the string.