PDA

View Full Version : Help? ATW with flying clamps on Aero Storm Tour

tovli
04-09-2012, 09:17 AM
I'm trying to figure out how to duplicate the around the world pattern my pro shop uses on my Babolat Aero Storm Tour but with flying clamps (and perhaps I need to add a starting clamp but I can't see how that will help.)

Here is the pattern so far. The numbers inside the frame are clamp sequence, and outside the frame are the respective pull.

Link to Aero Storm Tour Around The World with flying clamps pattern (http://www.4shared.com/photo/cTS7NL4f/Babolat_AST_Marks_Pattern.html)

This is a true, total ATW / box pattern not split into two.

Am I on the right path, or do I need to alter the pattern to be able to do a true ATW with flying clamps?

Is there a way around the double pulls at the
bottom-cross-plus-short-side-main, and
the top two crosses?

(I thought maybe pull the first half of each double pull to prestretch that segment without moving the clamp, let it down and then pull the full double would make the double pull better?)

Irvin
04-09-2012, 12:06 PM
If it were me I would do the ATW with the short side and never the long side.

Run the center 14 mains and you will end up with both ends at the top of the racket. Use the long side to run the second cross but don't tension yet. Use the short side to run in the top cross but only weave through the first three mains to reduce friction. Tension the top cross and hold with a starting clamp. Tension the second cross and clamp it to the top cross. Do all the crosses except for the bottom cross and tie off. Now remove the top cross and run in the outside main on the short side bottom cross outside main on the long side and top cross and tie off. That way you never double pull two strings and you can use your flying clamps. If you don't have a starting clamp use one of your flying clamps for the starting clamp.

tovli
04-09-2012, 09:29 PM
With age comes wisdom, so it is said. I am very pleased to see a reply from a "Legend". I saw another stringing legend comment that he hesitates to reply because it always draws a second set of questions; thus, I apologize for my impertinence to ask that you debate with two prior comments of yours which I found in the archives and put in my notes:

=== ATW with flying clamps, no starting clamp, no double pulls (Irvin) ====
Very simple when you think about it. I think you are better off to use 2 piece stringing but here is how you can do it.

String the mains except for the two outside mains.
Tie off the short side and use the long side to run the top cross.
Pull a scrap piece of string in 2nd and 3rd cross and clamp them on the outside of the frame with the short side clamp you freed up.
You are not going to have full tension on those two cross but good enough to hold the top cross you don't have to weave them either.
Tension the top cross and clamp it to the second cross (scrap string.)
Then run the outside main, tension, and clamp it.
Run the bottom cross (make sure you weave it right.)
Now move the scrap string down to the bottom for the 2nd and 3rd cross tension and clamp them.
Tension the bottom cross and clamp it to the 2nd to bottom cross.
Run the outside main up the racket and you should be good to go.

===

The Babolat pattern for my racquet shows a one piece pattern stringing crosses from throat to head, and also indicates the two piece tie offs.

I was originally thinking to use the pattern as two piece but string the crosses head to throat but could not figure out how to avoid a double pull start. Does adding a starting clamp to the process solve it, making the two piece your recommendation over the ATW?

Between your two ATW posts, I am guessing that your latest recommendation is preferred over the post I dredged up from the archives?

Irvin
04-10-2012, 03:36 AM
I prefer to string all racket now two piece. But I have two players that always want their rackets strung ATW so I do it that way. When using an ATW pattern there is always going to be a short section of the racket support a main and cross within a small span of the racket.

If I am doing ATW I prefer the method I pointed out in post #2. The basic method is to run in all but the top and bottom cross and the two outside mains. You will use one of the tails to run in all the outside strings. But there are some variations:

If using Flying clamps Use the short side to run in the top cross so you can clamp the second cross to it and eliminate your double pull.

If using fixed clamps no starting clamp tie off the short side at the top and use the long side to run down to second to last cross them do the ATW from the bottom.

If using fixed clamps with starting clamp use the starting clamp to hold the short side at the top until all strings are in except for the outside strings. I use this method and and I prerun the short side before tensioning the second cross down. This way I never have a blocked hole. Sometimes I will use the short side to run in the top two crosses at the top and use the long side to run the third cross to next to last.

Depending on how many strings you are going to running with the short side the length will vary. The longer the short side the shorter the long side and the easier and faster it is to string the racket.

EDIT:
W...The Babolat pattern for my racquet shows a one piece pattern stringing crosses from throat to head, and also indicates the two piece tie offs.

I was originally thinking to use the pattern as two piece but string the crosses head to throat but could not figure out how to avoid a double pull start. Does adding a starting clamp to the process solve it, making the two piece your recommendation over the ATW?...

Babolat allows one piece bottom up but they prefer two piece.

If you want to avoid the double pull run in the top two crosses and clamp your string with a flying clamp inside the frame where the string loops from the first to second cross. Tension the top cross and hold on the outside the frame with a starting clamp. Tension the second cross and hold with a flying clamp. Just like or similar to the Yusuki method for starting mains.

tovli
04-10-2012, 10:31 PM
Thank you so much.