PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with dropweight dropping after unclamp(Pioneer DC Plus)

orbit
04-10-2012, 12:54 PM
I just bought a new machine, the Pioneer DC plus, however I've strung maybe 2-3 rackets on a older machine...poorly. I've been trying to learn the correct way based off the instruction dvd that Alpha had supplied with the machine, however I've been having trouble. I thread in the mains with the loop starting at the head of my racket, going down into the two grommets on the bottom. I proceed to clamp one of the sides of the string as close to the head as possible. Then I pull tension on the opposite string and proceed to clamp. Once that is done, I decide to do that side again but on the next main, so this time I pull tension once threaded through and this is where two problems arise. First I try to clamp as close to the head as possible, but the anchor clamp on the other string is kind of in the way so I can't get as close to the head as I'd like. I'd say I'm maybe an inch away from the head but I clamp anyways. Then I proceed to pull tension on the anchor clamp string and unclamp and clamp near the throat. Then this is where the second problem arises..(this happens everytime I try) I decide to do the next main, that is next to the anchor clamp so that I'll have an even 2 mains on both sides. So I pull tension and then as SOON as I unclamp, the drop weight falls all the way down to the bottom, or a good chunk so that it ruins the string job. After that I have to take the string out and start all over again. Does anyone mine explaining to me what's happening so I can correct it? Sorry for the wall of text, but I'd like to explain it in detail! Thank you for any help!

rich s
04-10-2012, 01:04 PM
The first problem is solved by attaching the anchor clamp to the string and leaving a clamp width of space between the anchor clamp and frame so that you can clamp the other string/clamp adjacent to the frame.

Your description of the second problem is a little confusing...... have you tried looking on Y o u T u b e for videos by YULitle?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIIWRTGTx1Q&list=UUWP__pn7nOBLDgTK_dP56TQ&index=13&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEIArXy-_nw&list=UUWP__pn7nOBLDgTK_dP56TQ&index=14&feature=plcp

orbit
04-10-2012, 01:33 PM
Sorry if it got a bit confusing. Pretty much, I'll pull tension on one main, then clamp, then move on to the next main, and pull tension, but when I unclamp the drop weight drops a significant amount. I'm not sure whether I can just clutch it more or if that will break the frame of the racket?

rich s
04-10-2012, 01:37 PM
Is your anchor clamp at the top of the frame next to the loop or at the bottom of the frame next to the throat?

If it (the anchor clamp) is at the bottom of the frame next to the throat, that is your problem....

oldcity
04-10-2012, 02:26 PM
Take both ends of the string , put them in the gripper together and pull tension. Then clamp them both. Make sure your clamps aren't slipping. I then repull tension on the the main with the clamp closer to the frame, reclamp. Then do a couple more mains on that side. Now u have space to get that clamp closer. Repull tension on that other main with the clamp further away , clamp it closer to the frame. then you can proceed and shouldn't loose tension. A starting clamp is handy for starting. :) I don't know if that is necessary but it works for me, until I got a starting clamp

orbit
04-10-2012, 02:46 PM
I'm clamping near the loop which is the head of the racket since I'm starting there. However, now another problem arises!!! I wanted to mount my racket, so I decided to twist the knob on the bottom so that I could move the arms closer to the general area of my racket. I tried so hard to tighten the knob (honestly, as much as I can!) as much as I could, but now everytime I pull, it's actually pulling the arm with it and I don't want to cause stress damage to my racket!

oldcity
04-10-2012, 02:51 PM
I'm talking about pulling both ends to start and clamp both as close to the tensioner as possible, then as I described.

oldcity
04-10-2012, 02:57 PM
I would take the racquet out and check this out. Hopefully not stripped. It shouldn't take too much effort to snug it up. You are talking about the tightening knob on the bottom of the two big mounting arms correct?

oldcity
04-10-2012, 02:59 PM
Also the six small mounts that hold the racquet should only be snugged finger tight or you might damage the frame.

orbit
04-10-2012, 03:34 PM
Yes, that is correct. I swear I tightened it to the point where I can't anymore... so I don't know why. I'm trying to find something I can grip with to get a better handle on it.

gotwheels
04-10-2012, 06:14 PM
orbit, I can help you out, if you still have an issue. I was going to e-mail you some information; however, you have not activated the e-mail. Let me know if you still need assistance.

Irvin
04-11-2012, 03:04 AM
To me it does not sound like your clamps are slipping it sounds like your string is stretching. It is normal level the bar and continue. You may want to let the weight settle a little more before you move the clamp when you tension your strings.

Ennismt
04-11-2012, 06:28 AM
I have used a dropweight quite a bit. From what I understand, I second Irvin's recommendation.

QuadCam
04-13-2012, 07:22 PM
As irvin said, just lift the bar up and add some tension so the bar is parallel to the ground again. Nothing to worry about.

orbit
04-13-2012, 08:34 PM
Thanks all for the help. The mounting arm was moving on me no matter how much I tightened it by hand, but I managed to take a wrench with a cloth over the knob and tighten it that way. It doesn't seem to move anymore. Also, thanks for the advice of just lifting the drop weight. I didn't know that if I pull the clamp off and the dropweight drops, I figured by correcting it would cause stress damage to the racket. I guess not. I strung my first successful racket the other day. (i've done a few before but always with a lower tension.) I think I'm getting the hang of it... but i really need to learn the snaking motion. The crosses are killing my time badly.

oldcity
04-14-2012, 06:37 AM
Look up the bead method. It has really helped me in the crosses. Shoul be some info in here on it. Maybe even video link

Irvin
04-14-2012, 09:12 AM
Look up the bead method. It has really helped me in the crosses. Shoul be some info in here on it. Maybe even video link

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=406749