PDA

View Full Version : What kind of knot should I use for stiff string?

tennis4
04-10-2012, 04:31 PM
I had a hard time on RPM blast last night. Twice I broke the knot when almost finishing the job (used two strings as the result). I was using the Parnell knot there. Somehow I find the string not as flex so the single hitch was hard to close the loop ... Should a starting clamp be helpful in addressing the problem?

On the other hand, when I strung Gosen Polylon 16, it is even more stiff, I was able to complete without this kind of mishap. Maybe Gosen is tougher than RPM, ?

Any opinion on what kind of knot I should use on stiff string like RPM blast and Gosen Polylon 16?

Thanks.

Irvin
04-10-2012, 05:09 PM
I use the Wilson Pro knot and have never had a problem with RPM or Polylon. I also use a starting clamp to tie all knots except for natty gut.

Wikky
04-11-2012, 12:30 AM
Did you break the loop on the outside of the parnell or did you actually the anchor string?

If you're using pliers its very easy to break any type of string, a starting clamp can easily reduce the stress on the string.

Squidward
04-11-2012, 01:20 AM
I also use the Wilson Pro Knot with stiff poly's. (Actually all the time). Plus I make my pulls with a starting clamp. No issues to date.

tray999
04-11-2012, 07:47 AM
I use the Parnell knot and a starting clamp for 99 percent of all my knots without issue. I have learned the you do not need a great amount of force to cinch up your knots, you kinda just get a feel when they are tight enough. I have not had a Parnell knot fail on me yet....

tennis4
04-11-2012, 08:08 AM
It broke at the very end of the parnell knot because I used the dropweight to pull it tight. I hope it will stay.

I am getting a GSS starting clamp, I think it will help to pull it tight. Man ... it is annoying.

Did you break the loop on the outside of the parnell or did you actually the anchor string?

If you're using pliers its very easy to break any type of string, a starting clamp can easily reduce the stress on the string.

jim e
04-11-2012, 08:34 AM
It broke at the very end of the parnell knot because I used the dropweight to pull it tight. I hope it will stay.

I am getting a GSS starting clamp, I think it will help to pull it tight. Man ... it is annoying.

You need to review you knot technique.
You never use the tensioner to cinch up the knot.
If you use the Parnell knot just think about it.
You cinch it up with the loop not the tail at the end, and the loops secure it when you rock it tight to cinch it up as it does no good to overpull the tail end as that just adds stress to the string.

Irvin
04-11-2012, 08:41 AM
^^+1 no wonder it broke.

eagle
04-11-2012, 11:02 AM
I use the Pro/Parnell knot exclusively. It is fast, easy, and very secure.

http://www.keohi.com/tennis/misc/knots.htm

r,
eagle

Tennis in Hawaii: http://www.tennisinhawaii.com
Gonna Love It Tennis: http://www.gonnalove-it.com/tennis
Keohi Tennis: http://www.keohi.com/tennis

tennis4
04-11-2012, 11:15 AM
Absolutely. Without a starting clamp, it would be difficult to close the loop by hand, with a stiff string. It should be here by the end of the week, I am anxious to give it another try.

You need to review you knot technique.
You never use the tensioner to cinch up the knot.
If you use the Parnell knot just think about it.
You cinch it up with the loop not the tail at the end, and the loops secure it when you rock it tight to cinch it up as it does no good to overpull the tail end as that just adds stress to the string.

bigmalik76
04-11-2012, 03:47 PM
I use the Wilson Pro knot and have never had a problem with RPM or Polylon. I also use a starting clamp to tie all knots except for natty gut.
+1 I only use the Wilson Pro knot

pvaudio
04-11-2012, 04:51 PM
Dr. Irvin's vid on the Wilson Pro taught me how to tie it, and since then, I've not used any other knot for anything.

jim e
04-11-2012, 05:26 PM

Pro knot or Parnell knot, it does not matter, as long as you learn to do it correctly is what matters.
I still can't believe that you used the tensioner to cinch it up, and then wondered why it broke!

BTW, a starting clamp is not a necessity to cinch up a knot. I have 3 starting clamps and I will only use a starting clamp to cinch up when I have a few racquets to string in one day, otherwise I use my fingers to cinch up all knots.Its all a matter of preference, and your technique of tying knots.

nalvarado
04-11-2012, 05:42 PM
If the wilson pro knot is the same as the PC knot I also use it exclusively.

pvaudio
04-13-2012, 04:44 PM
Pro knot or Parnell knot, it does not matter, as long as you learn to do it correctly is what matters.
I still can't believe that you used the tensioner to cinch it up, and then wondered why it broke!

BTW, a starting clamp is not a necessity to cinch up a knot. I have 3 starting clamps and I will only use a starting clamp to cinch up when I have a few racquets to string in one day, otherwise I use my fingers to cinch up all knots.Its all a matter of preference, and your technique of tying knots.
I did this too when I first started :|