PDA

View Full Version : TW, reviews of Dunlop 100 series??

ProPlayer
04-10-2012, 10:09 PM
ive been tempted to try these, but id like to see a review and see how they compare to the Prestige mid and Wilson 90's

TW Staff
04-11-2012, 08:41 AM
ProPlayer,

Unfortunately, we are not going to playtest the Dunlop Biomimetic 100. However, Chris hit a lot with this racquet and can answer any questions if needed.

Brittany, TW

ProPlayer
04-11-2012, 12:37 PM
they really should, you guys review the wilson 90's every time, yet you haven't done the dunlops even once!

could you post a mini review here?

jorel
04-12-2012, 05:20 AM
they really should, you guys review the wilson 90's every time, yet you haven't done the dunlops even once!

could you post a mini review here?
thats cuz the 90 is a big seller (some guy named Federer uses it)

ProPlayer
04-12-2012, 08:34 AM
thats cuz the 90 is a big seller (some guy named Federer uses it)

WAIT A MINUTE!!!

are you saying people buy a racket because someone else uses it???
has that guy tried the Dunlops? can he post a review?

jorel
04-12-2012, 08:44 AM
WAIT A MINUTE!!!

are you saying people buy a racket because someone else uses it???
has that guy tried the Dunlops? can he post a review?
im going to assume ur being sarcastic and no i have never tried the Dunlops cuz Fed Nadal nor Novak uses it

but if this is the same one from a few years ago,,,it was discussed at length on the boards that it is a phenomenal frame with a few pros actually using it (not some paintjob)

CRWV
06-18-2012, 02:55 PM
I would like to bump this;

Would it be too much trouble for Chris to give a quick write up on the Biomimetic 100? (maybe a quick paragraph summing pros and cons and quick off-hand rating? i.e, groundstrokes, volleys, serve, return, comfort, power, etc.,.)

TW Staff
06-18-2012, 03:04 PM
It has been quite a while since I last hit the racquet so will need to string it and hit it again. I will try to get out with it a couple of times this week.

Chris, TW

CRWV
07-11-2012, 04:31 PM
It has been quite a while since I last hit the racquet so will need to string it and hit it again. I will try to get out with it a couple of times this week.

Chris, TW

I didn't want to bother you with the Wimbledon or hurry you, but have you had a few minutes of free time to hit around with the bio 100 again? (If you haven't, I don't want to trouble you further - in that case, could you just give your memories of the stick?)

TW Staff
07-12-2012, 09:25 AM
Yes. I hit it side by side with the Aerogel 4D version shortly after my last post, but spaced on posting back (sorry about that).

I had two of each with me, and the Aerogels were swinging heavier and felt better for it. The Biomimetic 100 feels too light and too head light for its weight. For me it feels best on faster swings like groundstrokes and serves. As soon as tip speed decreases (volleys, drop shots and chips shots etc) the racquet doesn't feel solid enough for me. It would be an easy fix with some lead tape to get this racquet more in line with my desired spec. I struggled to find the groove timing wise with it, and not sure if that was entirely due to the weight/balance.

On the feel and control front I really liked it. I felt like I was getting lots of feeback on volleys and precision shots. I immediately knew when I was off slightly and felt very connected to where the ball was going.

To be honest, I didn't find the connection that would prompt me to want to invest the time to customize this racquet. I prefer the 200s and the 300 Tour in stock form over this one and would be more inclined to play around with one of those. The 200 is pretty spot on for me in stock form.

Hope that helps.
Chris, TW.

Bartelby
07-12-2012, 09:32 AM
Bit of an unfortunate typo in the last paragraph.

TW Staff
07-12-2012, 11:10 AM
Bit of an unfortunate typo in the last paragraph.

What typo? ;-)

Brittany, TW

CCH4TENNIS
09-08-2012, 06:46 AM
Hi Brittany

ProPlayer,

Unfortunately, we are not going to playtest the Dunlop Biomimetic 100. However, Chris hit a lot with this racquet and can answer any questions if needed.

Brittany, TW

Why are you and your team not planning to playtest the Bio 100 ?

Thank you

TW Staff
09-10-2012, 09:54 AM
CCH4TENNIS,

It is for a variety of reasons and unfortunately we can't review every racquet on our site. We do however make sure at least one or two playtesters hit with every racquet and are able to answer any questions needed.

Brittany, TW

CCH4TENNIS
09-10-2012, 11:43 PM
CCH4TENNIS,

It is for a variety of reasons and unfortunately we can't review every racquet on our site. We do however make sure at least one or two playtesters hit with every racquet and are able to answer any questions needed.

Brittany, TW

Hi Chris

Where would you put lead tape in the case of Bio 100 ?
@12 ; @ 10 and 2 ; @ 9 ?

Thank you

TW Staff
09-11-2012, 08:29 AM
I would add lead at 10&2 and then counter with the same total amount at the handle to retain the balance.

Hope that helps,
Chris, TW

CCH4TENNIS
09-11-2012, 11:34 AM
I would add lead at 10&2 and then counter with the same total amount at the handle to retain the balance.

Hope that helps,
Chris, TW

Hi Chris

TQVM for validating what I had done last Sunday on my Bio 100 strung with Black Widow 18g @60lb (actual avg tension @55lb)

Cheers !

CCH4TENNIS
09-14-2012, 06:54 PM

Hope that helps,
Chris, TW

Hi Chris

Where would you add weight to
a) Bio 200
b) Bio 200 Lite
c) Bio 300

TIA

TW Staff
09-17-2012, 08:50 AM
1) I would not add any lead to the 200 since I like it in stock form very, very much.
2) Unfortunately I have barely hit the 200 Lite since I was not on that playtest. It was very popular back when we were testing it and every time I tried to grab it for a hit, someone else had beat me to it. It actually came a bit of a running joke at the time.
3) I would go 2-4 & 10-8 with lead and then counter at the handle. That might sound like a lot of weight, but would likely only bring it in line with the 200. For me, the 300 is too underpowered in stock form and needs a fair bit of lead to juice it up.

I'd put a leather grip on all of them.

Chris, TW

CCH4TENNIS
09-17-2012, 07:59 PM
1) I would not add any lead to the 200 since I like it in stock form very, very much.
2) Unfortunately I have barely hit the 200 Lite since I was not on that playtest. It was very popular back when we were testing it and every time I tried to grab it for a hit, someone else had beat me to it. It actually came a bit of a running joke at the time.
3) I would go 2-4 & 10-8 with lead and then counter at the handle. That might sound like a lot of weight, but would likely only bring it in line with the 200. For me, the 300 is too underpowered in stock form and needs a fair bit of lead to juice it up.

I'd put a leather grip on all of them.

Chris, TW

Hi Chris

TQVM for you valuable feedback. Currently, I have 10g at 9 N 3 but it does not feel right. I am looking forward to try out your recommendations !

Cheers

ae11
02-19-2014, 11:13 AM
Any reason TW never reviewed this frame? (while all the iterations of Wilson Tour 90 and a lot of other Dunlops were reviewed)

Not bringing this up so that it can be reviewed (it has been unavailable for quite a while now), but rather to gain some insight into how racquets are chosen to be reviewed. Was it
because it wasn't deemed like it's going to sell well? Or too much of a niche frames (lightweight mid)? etc

CHOcobo
02-19-2014, 11:21 AM
Any reason TW never reviewed this frame? (while all the iterations of Wilson Tour 90 and a lot of other Dunlops were reviewed)

Not bringing this up so that it can be reviewed (it has been unavailable for quite a while now), but rather to gain some insight into how racquets are chosen to be reviewed. Was it
because it wasn't deemed like it's going to sell well? Or too much of a niche frames (lightweight mid)? etc

Summary: Federer or anyone doesn't use it.

ae11
02-19-2014, 11:40 AM
Summary: Federer or anyone doesn't use it.

How many people use say Gamma RZR 100 T?!

Outside the pro tour there are lot of people out there who use midsize
racquets. Dunlop 100 filled a void were you could get a light (and
customizable) frame.

Even Black Ace 93 (another lighter mid that I can think of) got reviewed.

That made me wonder what was the reasoning (if any) on skipping the 100!

CHOcobo
02-19-2014, 11:57 AM
How many people use say Gamma RZR 100 T?!

Outside the pro tour there are lot of people out there who use midsize
racquets. Dunlop 100 filled a void were you could get a light (and
customizable) frame.

Even Black Ace 93 (another lighter mid that I can think of) got reviewed.

That made me wonder what was the reasoning (if any) on skipping the 100!

I wonder the same thing too. But thats the disadvantage of the frame being more customizable. The initial lower SW, mass, balance, and other attributes that makes it a more customizable decreases the overall stability in stock form. Even leading up the 4D100 up to a frame spec of your choice (for example the Fed stick) isn't the same as having the frame of your choice in stock form with the same specs. The twist weight of the 4d100 is the lowest of all rackets; yet doesn't play like it.

And plus the market doesn't care about people outside the pro tour.

TW Staff
02-19-2014, 12:28 PM
ae11,

We choose racquet playtests based on several different criteria. We try to get a wide range of racquets from each brand and sometimes we don't have time for every racquet. We do try to come back and review racquets that we missed the first time if we get requests. For example, we are currently playtesting the Head Graphene Prestige S and Prince Tour 100 T (and ESP version) which were requests from Talk Tennis members, customers, and/or Youtube and Facebook users.

Brittany, TW