PDA

View Full Version : Cyclone Strings Question

Blitzball
04-14-2012, 05:16 PM
So I've heard a lot of buzz regarding these Cyclone strings, and I guess they're the Volkl Cyclone 16g. I'm interested in ordering some, but would like to know some details on how they play before ordering. I think Chris plays with them, but TW can you give me some info. on spin potential, power, durability, etc. Thanks!

CRWV
04-16-2012, 09:56 PM
PVaudio tested it (17g though) in his playtest megathread (good read if you've the time).

Just reread it myself and while he was blown away by it (full bed at 53 lbs, iirc) it died almost immediately on him and was pretty awful. His closing statement was that it was only good if you can cut it out and restring after nearly every session. Shame too, because at 8$ a set it's damn tempting (and the black string just looks damn sexy...)

Blitzball
04-16-2012, 10:10 PM
PVaudio tested it (17g though) in his playtest megathread (good read if you've the time).

Just reread it myself and while he was blown away by it (full bed at 53 lbs, iirc) it died almost immediately on him and was pretty awful. His closing statement was that it was only good if you can cut it out and restring after nearly every session. Shame too, because at 8$ a set it's damn tempting (and the black string just looks damn sexy...)

I just read his review, thanks! Wow, I'm even more interested now but I'd probably go with the 16g instead. Yeah I'm not surprised to hear about a cheap, effective polyester dying quickly lol. But I can't resist trying it...and black strings are always classy!

Hi I'm Ray
04-17-2012, 06:02 AM
The string played pretty well when I tried it, lots of spin, good control, and surprising pop, the only knock for me was the feel. As a hybrid with syn gut in the crosses I got more time out of it than PV did. Perhaps the syn gut helps with longevity. I will be trying this string out again. Crossed with a stiffer poly and stung too high it totally sucked.

coolblue123
04-18-2012, 09:09 AM
ordered some 18g cyclones. I wonder how it'll hit? Any tension recommendations? Was thinking about hybriding it with a syn gut 16g. Figure it'll take some time for the cyclone mains to cut into the syn gut. any thoughts?

TW Staff
04-19-2012, 09:20 AM
I use Cyclone 16 and it is my current go to string. I like the control and spin I get from it and I have not had issues with it going dead quickly. It is the string I used when I did the low tension experiment so I have hit it all the way down to under 5lbs (hand pulled). For the price, it is a great string in my opinion.

Hope that helps,
Chris, TW