PDA

View Full Version : starting clamps vs parallel pliers

coolblue123
04-15-2012, 08:26 PM
thought I will ask this again since I didn't hear anything last time.
I saw the use of some pretty vintage parallel pliers used in a YouTube vid demoing yusaki method.
I was wondering if there is difference in using the two? does a starting clamp grip the string better? thanks for any response.

zapvor
04-15-2012, 09:36 PM
what machine do you have

coolblue123
04-16-2012, 05:05 AM
Got my trustee SP Hip Hop.
Whatcya dooooing? wanna buy my bc30? =)

Thinking about getting another starting clamp because my current one doesn't seem to clamp as tightly as when it was new. Just considering the options.

zapvor
04-16-2012, 08:55 PM
i dont know the hip hop.

i went broke buying rackets last week. fml how much you selling it for

coolblue123
04-17-2012, 04:29 PM
i dont know the hip hop.

i went broke buying rackets last week. fml how much you selling it for

love me hip hop. which sticks did u get? did monk give u a great deal?

zapvor
04-17-2012, 04:44 PM
haha not from monk. i got 2 filas, 2 beckers, and 1 prince

pvaudio
04-23-2012, 06:10 PM
Please just use a starting clamp. The word pliers, unless prefaced by needle-nosed and postfaced by getting a string through a grommet are simply asking for injury.

tennis4
04-23-2012, 06:48 PM
Just got my starting clamp last week and I restrung mine over the weekend. What a difference! While I don't want to question there might be viable substitute, I just know having a starting clamp is a HUGE plus, especially for knots.

mikeler
04-24-2012, 05:33 AM
Please just use a starting clamp. The word pliers, unless prefaced by needle-nosed and postfaced by getting a string through a grommet are simply asking for injury.

What he says.

Irvin
04-24-2012, 07:10 AM
I'm not sure which video you were talking about but parallel pliers are not spring loaded so you have to supply the force. While you are starting your mains if you have one hand on the pliers holding the string it will be hard to start your mains. Maybe if you included the link to the video your were talking about it would make more sense.

A starting clamp is spring loaded so it is like a third hand holding your string. All Yusuki was trying to do is apply some back pressure on the anchor clamp while tensioning the the first main.

fortun8son
04-26-2012, 05:09 PM

Postfaced? LOL

pvaudio
04-26-2012, 09:07 PM
I didn't know the opposite of prefaced :D

Wuppy
04-27-2012, 11:30 AM
Wouldn't pliers damage the string excessively? I'd love to use some locking pliers from the hardware store for $5 but their grip would cut the string rather drastically. Maybe you could glue some fine-gauge sandpaper on the inside of the jaws.. :D

seekay
04-27-2012, 02:18 PM
Wouldn't pliers damage the string excessively? I'd love to use some locking pliers from the hardware store for $5 but their grip would cut the string rather drastically. Maybe you could glue some fine-gauge sandpaper on the inside of the jaws.. :D

When I started stringing, I got some vice grips and ground down the gripping surfaces so they were close to parallel. I never had problems with them slipping off the string, but a real starting clamp is faster, easier to use, and safer (grips better). I haven't used my vice grips since I got a starting clamp.

Wuppy
04-27-2012, 09:19 PM
send me your vice grips ;)