PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the Gamma Progression II ELS for a newbie stringer?

loosegroove
04-16-2012, 09:09 AM
A buddy is looking to start stringing his own rackets, and I haven't used one of these myself. Can users/owners comment on this machine? Personally I may have gone with the Neos 1000 or 1500, or the Gamma 6004 with the SC mounts and super quick base clamps. But he likes the idea of the constant pull electronic tensioner.

How are the clamps on the ELS? Is mounting on the 6 point a little tedious, and do the arms tend to get in the way when doing the crosses? They look a little beefier than others. Thanks all!

max pl
04-16-2012, 11:00 AM
i bought one last summer in August, but as its my first stringer I cant give a comparison to others, only what I've experienced with this machine.

clamps feel fine, but could possibly be better as I havent used any other machines. they work and thats all i can tell you as far as clamps go.

6 point mounting is very simple. The arms do get in the way a bit when doing crosses as you mention, but i wouldnt give them up for less structural stability.

my biggest issues with the machine are the rotational tension head and one memory issue.
the rotational tensioner is good like 95% of the time, but sometimes if i'm running low on string when stringing a racquet ive never done before, i cant wrap those last few inches of string around to grab tension. i think this could be avoided with those linear tensioners, but also with more experience in stringing various pattern racquets.
the memory issue is with the machine not putting into memory the tension rate(slow, medium, or fast). its not a big issue but i'm forced to choose my preference each time i turn the machine on.

GlenK
04-16-2012, 11:12 AM
I've had the X-ELS for over a year and love it. Have had no issues at all with mine. All aspects work great and it has stayed calibrated perfectly. I check it once a month and it always pulls the precise tension.

mchjhn
04-16-2012, 11:13 AM
i bought one last summer in August, but as its my first stringer I cant give a comparison to others, only what I've experienced with this machine.

clamps feel fine, but could possibly be better as I havent used any other machines. they work and thats all i can tell you as far as clamps go.

6 point mounting is very simple. The arms do get in the way a bit when doing crosses as you mention, but i wouldnt give them up for less structural stability.

my biggest issues with the machine are the rotational tension head and one memory issue.
the rotational tensioner is good like 95% of the time, but sometimes if i'm running low on string when stringing a racquet ive never done before, i cant wrap those last few inches of string around to grab tension. i think this could be avoided with those linear tensioners, but also with more experience in stringing various pattern racquets.
the memory issue is with the machine not putting into memory the tension rate(slow, medium, or fast). its not a big issue but i'm forced to choose my preference each time i turn the machine on.

coming up short is a measuring issue, not related to a rotational gripper. the rotational gripper uses less string than a linear pull, as its close to the string bed.

good point on the memory of the machine.

GlenK
04-16-2012, 11:18 AM
^^The pull rate is on fast each time the machine is turned on and I change it so much that it wouldn't matter to me what it was on. Would still have to make adjustments depending on what string I'm stringing.

arnoldr
04-16-2012, 11:50 AM
So the memory issue is with pulling speed and not pulling tension. I think they have 9 memory slots for pulling tension if I'm not mistaken.

arnold r.

mchjhn
04-16-2012, 12:47 PM
^^The pull rate is on fast each time the machine is turned on and I change it so much that it wouldn't matter to me what it was on. Would still have to make adjustments depending on what string I'm stringing.

agree 100% with this. it would be nice to have the machine in the exact same position as you left it.

max pl
04-16-2012, 01:42 PM
coming up short is a measuring issue, not related to a rotational gripper. the rotational gripper uses less string than a linear pull, as its close to the string bed.

good point on the memory of the machine.

linears use more string? didnt know that...
and yeh, i know its a measuring issue, but i thought linears use less string and couldnt help with the issue, but i guess not.

86golf
04-23-2012, 02:10 PM
I've used the Gamma for 4 years. It has served me well, but I would argue that it is not a true constant pull. It will add tension but not release. For example, when you tension a cross and if you were to pull down on the string (adding tension) it won't release tension, but as soon as you let the cross loose, the tension head will ratchet tension on the excess in effect adding too much tension.

I'm not sure if other electro's do this too.