PDA

View Full Version : Klippermate question

TLy963
04-16-2012, 02:45 PM
I have a used (bought used, obviously i use it though) Klippermate. When i string with it the strings slip while tensioning in the circular jaw thing (dont know proper name). I clean it with a shoe lace and isopropyl alcohol and its okay for a while but it starts slipping again way too early than it should. I have to clean it twice or thrice per racket. Why is this happening? Am i doing something wrong? Is there any way to fix this problem? It's annoying to have to do this when the manual only suggests cleaning that circular jaw thing and clamps once per 5 string jobs.

dancraig
04-16-2012, 11:09 PM
I have a used (bought used, obviously i use it though) Klippermate. When i string with it the strings slip while tensioning in the circular jaw thing (dont know proper name). I clean it with a shoe lace and isopropyl alcohol and its okay for a while but it starts slipping again way too early than it should. I have to clean it twice or thrice per racket. Why is this happening? Am i doing something wrong? Is there any way to fix this problem? It's annoying to have to do this when the manual only suggests cleaning that circular jaw thing and clamps once per 5 string jobs.

You may need to take the gripper jaws off to clean them well enough. As I recall, it is held together my two hex screws and it comes apart in three sections. Take note as to how it goes together before taking it off, as it can be confusing when putting it back together.

jgrushing
04-17-2012, 03:49 AM
Beware of oily strings. I use lots and lots of Gosen OG Micro, a couple of polys and a multi or two. Never have the problem and virtually never clean the cam or clamps. My KM's 20 years old and I've never taken it apart. My guess is your string choices since there's no real adjustment to the cam gripper.

KerryR
04-17-2012, 05:31 AM
Are you loading the gripper correctly? The string wraps around once, and then through the gripper. Some (but very few) strings will slip no matter what. For thoseYou can wrap the 'barrel' twice and then into the gripper.

As dancraig mentioned, it's best to remove the gripper from the tensioner to clean it. No idea why it doesn't work very well to clean in place, but it doesn't...

cap.phillips
04-17-2012, 07:11 AM
Actually with the Klippermate the string does NOT wrap around once as most other drop weights do. (At least I never used it that way). As earlier mentioned the slippage may be due to the string you are using. With my old Klippermate I used to have a big problem with Head PPS string. It would slip no matter what I did. Most other strings were not a problem. I used to clean the jaws every few string jobs.

KerryR
04-17-2012, 07:20 AM
Actually with the Klippermate the string does NOT wrap around once as most other drop weights do. (At least I never used it that way). As earlier mentioned the slippage may be due to the string you are using. With my old Klippermate I used to have a big problem with Head PPS string. It would slip no matter what I did. Most other strings were not a problem. I used to clean the jaws every few string jobs.

Ooops. You're right-- been a while since I used my K-mate, and I just took a look at the manual.

But, with strings that slip even after cleaning, you CAN wrap ONCE and then through the gripper, at which point the string will no longer slip. This is a handy trick if your gripper reaches it's 'dirtiness' threshold mid-job, or if you're using a 'greasy' string...

max
04-17-2012, 07:23 AM
OP: why not call Kmate directly at the 800 number. They would be much more specific and knowledgeable. I own a Kmate, and use them as a reference all the time: great help there at your service.

TLy963
04-17-2012, 02:20 PM
Thanks for commenting folks. It slipped while stringing cyberflash mains, and again with gosen og micro crosses. the bolts securing the jaws are very tight, possibly beyond my meager strength to handle.

max
04-18-2012, 04:37 AM
Talk to Kmate. This shouldn't be happening; something's up.