PDA

View Full Version : Third Clamp needed with Klippermate?

tacoben
04-17-2012, 12:17 PM
O.K. guys, did my forth string job yesterday and am getting better at it, but sometimes the starting clamping sequence throws me off a bit. It seems to me that a third floating clamp would help where one needs to hold/maintain tension in certain situations? Any of you had this same problem when first starting out? Also, what is a good alternative to a floating clamp...something less than $35 (for a Klippermate brand)? I was thinking of getting a small size vise grip and see if I could file down the teeth/grip or fill in the teeth with something in order to have a smooth surface. Any tips is greatly appreciated.

KerryR
04-17-2012, 12:27 PM
Well, the starting pin method Klipper suggests should negate the need for another clamp, and I don't recall having issues when I used it with my K-mate.

Just about everyone, though, ends up with a starting clamp. Tennis Warehouse has the Gamma version for $40-- close to your $35 limit. They're handy for tightening knots in addition to starting...

You can, of course, also use a floating clamp as a starting clamp-- just put a piece of string in the otherwise empty jaw, or, adjust the clamp for one string.

jgrushing
04-17-2012, 03:37 PM
Why would you not use the starting pin? I've been stringing racquets for over twenty years and don't own a starting clamp. And I've never used three clamps. I'm sure that I'd use a starting clamp but you don't really NEED one.

ten11
04-20-2012, 08:07 AM
When I strung with the km, I had a third prince floating clamp and worked really well for me.
http://www.doittennis.com/stringing-machines/prince-universal-flyingclamp.php

This one works very well with both km floating clamp, because both km clamp are very small and difficult for the big spacing between the first and last few crosses. This clamp works perfect in those situation. If you want to buy the third floating clamp, do keep that in mind.

I also found that it is difficult to hold the string with just one km clamp to start the string job, especially for 16g or some oily string. The string always slip through the clamp. For this I will strongly suggest to have a starting clamp. The advantage of starting clamp is to help you pull the knot better and help to start the mains and crosses much easier.

In short, I will recommend to have a starting clamp instead of third floating clamp. It will solve most of the problems with some thinking. Also when you upgrade your machine, you can still use the starting clamp.

cknobman
04-20-2012, 11:32 AM
Never felt the need for more than 2 clamps with my Klippermate. As others have said when starting out you should be using your starting pin.

If your string is slipping in your clamps then you need to adjust the clamp to be tighter and/or clean it.