PDA

View Full Version : I finally did it. Thank you.

arnoldr
04-18-2012, 09:04 AM
First of all, many thanks to the good people of this forum. Of course, a special shout out to Irvin, Yulitle, Drak and the many others who have helped directly or indirectly thru their instructiional videos and thread comments.

Now on to the main agenda. As the title says, I finally did my 1st ever string job last night. Strung up a Donnay (16x19) with syn gut @52#, 2-piece using the yusuki method to start off the mains. Took me roughly 2 1/2 hrs from the get-go.

So what have I learned form the 1st time experience :

1. I need better lighting in my intended work area. It was dark enough that I needed help from my led flashlight. (or maybe it's just my ageing eyes)
2. Clamps need adjustment even if it's a new machine. It was slipping when I was doing the mains.
3. Be careful when weaving those crosses. Had a few misweaves that held me back quite a bit.
4. Need to straighten those crossess as early as you can (while stringing).
5. Still need to clamp the last cross before tying it. I have the last cross with very little tension.

Other than that, it was a nice 1st time experience. Thank you all again.
:)

arnoldr

mmk
04-18-2012, 09:14 AM
Good for you. That is about how long my first took. I'll never be really fast, but I can do it in well under 45 minutes now. I think your point about lighting is something that should be in every response to someone looking to get their first machine.

mikeler
04-18-2012, 09:53 AM
The simple check for misweaves is knowing that if you go under the first main when starting your crosses, the last cross should always go over or vice versa. It's a quick simple check that almost always catches mistakes.

arnoldr
04-18-2012, 10:08 AM
Thanks Mikeler, point taken. Most of my misweaves though are in the middle. Going over 2 mains basically was the issue. I noticed right away prior to tensioning so it's not too bad.

arnold r.

mad dog1
04-18-2012, 10:50 AM
The simple check for misweaves is knowing that if you go under the first main when starting your crosses, the last cross should always go over or vice versa. It's a quick simple check that almost always catches mistakes.

Thanks Mikeler, point taken. Most of my misweaves though are in the middle. Going over 2 mains basically was the issue. I noticed right away prior to tensioning so it's not too bad.

arnold r.

when you go over 2 mains, mikeler's tip is the easiest most foolproof method for catching misweaves. now if you have 2 misweaves on a cross, mikeler's tip won't work.

Irvin
04-18-2012, 11:13 AM
You really need to pay attention to detect miss-weaves as you go. One type of miss-weave is when you go over (or under) three mains in a row. You can see this very easily by looking at the cross string as the up-n-downs stick out like a sore thumb. Another type of miss-weave is when you go under (or over) two mans in a row. This one is easily felt as the weaving gets harder (or easier) depending on whether you are weaving one ahead or not.

Now for your other issue where the bottom cross has little tension. I assume you have flying clamps and they won't spread far enough for you to clamp the bottom two crosses together. Fixed clamps are your answer for that one or the triple clamp from StringWay.

arnoldr
04-18-2012, 12:26 PM
mad dog1,
yup, that's how i realized i had a mis-weave in the first place.

irvin,
i have fixed clamps. this was a user error, nothing more than that.

it's a good 1st time and i'll chalk it all up (the issues) to 'inexperience'.

thanks

arnoldr

Smasher08
04-18-2012, 12:37 PM
First of all, many thanks to the good people of this forum. Of course, a special shout out to Irvin, Yulitle, Drak and the many others who have helped directly or indirectly thru their instructiional videos and thread comments.

Now on to the main agenda. As the title says, I finally did my 1st ever string job last night. Strung up a Donnay (16x19) with syn gut @52#, 2-piece using the yusuki method to start off the mains. Took me roughly 2 1/2 hrs from the get-go.

1. I need better lighting in my intended work area. It was dark enough that I needed help from my led flashlight. (or maybe it's just my ageing eyes)
2. Clamps need adjustment even if it's a new machine. It was slipping when I was doing the mains.
3. Be careful when weaving those crosses. Had a few misweaves that held me back quite a bit.
5. Still need to clamp the last cross before tying it. I have the last cross with very little tension.

arnoldr

Congrats and good luck! It took me quite a while as well with my first stringjob, but then after 5 or 6, the time came right down to around 45 or 50 mins. (Gamma X-6)

Kam2010
04-18-2012, 01:41 PM
Good job,
I would recommend as I don't know what stringing machine you have and this goes to others out there.
If you don't have a stand for your stringing machine and you place it on a table top or whatever make sure it's tall enough so your not bending your back too much as I can tell you for sure it's not comfortable!!

arnoldr
04-22-2012, 04:32 PM
I did my 2nd racquet today. Strung a Prince EXO3 Tour Lite with syn gut. Did improve on the time from last time, took about 1 3/4 hrs from the get go. Everything was going well till the last cross. This time it was a blocked hole that gave me problems. Took me a while to get the string thru the grommet, inside to out. I had to use a guide awl which was very flimsy, the gamma awl. I was afraid it was going to break or something

Any trick to passing stringsnthru blocked holes?

arnoldr

jim e
04-22-2012, 06:40 PM
I did my 2nd racquet today. Strung a Prince EXO3 Tour Lite with syn gut. Did improve on the time from last time, took about 1 3/4 hrs from the get go. Everything was going well till the last cross. This time it was a blocked hole that gave me problems. Took me a while to get the string thru the grommet, inside to out. I had to use a guide awl which was very flimsy, the gamma awl. I was afraid it was going to break or something

Any trick to passing stringsnthru blocked holes?

arnoldr

Place a scrap string on outside of racquet frame under the main that blocks the grommet hole.Now when you get to that hole you can grab the ends of the scrap string and lift up or push down to open the grommet hole.

Overheadsmash
04-22-2012, 07:09 PM
Place a scrap string on outside of racquet frame under the main that blocks the grommet hole.Now when you get to that hole you can grab the ends of the scrap string and lift up or push down to open the grommet hole.

That is a very smart idea I've never thought of that.

I've always trimmed my string at the sharpest angle possible, then put some soap on it. That usually works fine with a poly but with a softer string like X-1 Biphase it is still too flimsy - I'll use the scrap string method. Good call.

jim e
04-22-2012, 07:13 PM
That is a very smart idea I've never thought of that.

I've always trimmed my string at the sharpest angle possible, then put some soap on it. That usually works fine with a poly but with a softer string like X-1 Biphase it is still too flimsy - I'll use the scrap string method. Good call.

If you forget the scrap string you can also place a small amount of super glue to the tip, and then spray with super glue accelerator to set it up immediately, it will be stiffer to get it through.
The scrap string is the easiest as you can lift up or down to get string through either side so there will not be a crossover.

arnoldr
04-22-2012, 07:39 PM
Thanks Jim E. That's an excellent idea. I guess that's what they say about pre-planning.

Question though, with a scrap string in the hole, will I still be able to fit another string in there if it's a regular hole and not a tie-off hole ?

arnold r.

Irvin
04-23-2012, 03:26 AM
jim e's scrap string works well but I usually just string the racket and when I come to a problem hole I will look to see if the string blocking the hole is above or below the center of the hole and I try to get the string on the other side using the sharp tip and wax method. If there are two strings blocking the hole I tgry to go between them. If that does not work I use the pathfinder awl.

X-1 is a fairly firm string but the tips do get a little mushy after weaving through the mains from the top to the bottom of the racket. You can always trim the string down a few inches to a firmer section of the string too. When you get ready to push your string through don't push it with your fingers use your pliers to push the string and only push the string about 1/8" from the grommet. 'YULitle' has a video on that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfG-nlb4JxU&feature=plcp&context=C4826d40VDvjVQa1PpcFNYsfcPlMDVaNsqWmM2_zLG G5VnREqzHL4%3D

Rabbit
04-23-2012, 03:32 AM
Another trick is to cut the end of the string you're trying to get pushed through. Some folks use a single-edged razor, but I have a nice pair of snips that I use. Cut the string with as much angle as you can, you want the very end of the string to be pushed through as small as possible. It's amazing how much easier it is to get through like that versus a string end cut flat.

arnoldr
04-23-2012, 05:19 AM
Rabbit,
Yes, I've been doing that for the other blocked holes and it works wonders especially if I'm coming from the outside going in.

Irvin,
That's what I've been doing for the other blocked holes, in addition to cutting the string ends sharp at an angle. Thing is, this tring is dead center in the hole on the throat's end. Also, the string is coming from the inside grommet hole going out.

i don't mind using the guide awl but the Gamma one seems flimsy it could easily break. Any better guide awla out there ?

arnoldr

Irvin
04-23-2012, 05:49 AM
...Irvin,
That's what I've been doing for the other blocked holes, in addition to cutting the string ends sharp at an angle. Thing is, this tring is dead center in the hole on the throat's end. Also, the string is coming from the inside grommet hole going out.

i don't mind using the guide awl but the Gamma one seems flimsy it could easily break. Any better guide awla out there ?

arnoldr

I have been using the Gamma pathfinder awl and have never had a problem. I also put was on it to get it through. The hardest string I have found to get through a blocked hole is Kevlar. That is a soft braided string and points don't always work. Here is a short video on how to use the awl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juMHboXPa3I&feature=plcp&context=C4913725VDvjVQa1PpcFO8JJPJb1mvo8kNyQtH2gQn F7HurnLeagk%3D

The best way to avoid blocked holes is to never have one. If you string one piece and have a 16 or 18 main racket that skips 7 & 9 H & T or 8 & 10 H & T I would suggest you use a short side ATW and there will not be any blocked holes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVM3gabGgHc&feature=plcp&context=C4913725VDvjVQa1PpcFO8JJPJb1mvo8kNyQtH2gQn F7HurnLeagk%3D

jim e
04-23-2012, 10:13 AM
Thanks Jim E. That's an excellent idea. I guess that's what they say about pre-planning.

Question though, with a scrap string in the hole, will I still be able to fit another string in there if it's a regular hole and not a tie-off hole ?

arnold r.

The scrap string is not in the hole but on the outside underneath the string that does the blocking , just loop the scrap string under the blocking main string before you tension that main string.This way you can lift it up or pull it down by grabbing the ends of the scrap with pliers to open up the grommet opening when you are attempting to place the cross string through.
If you like to use something thinner, badminton string works well , also a doubled up piece of dental floss (a quality one that has gortex in it like Glide brand, so it does not snap) can also be used in place of scrap string.

I never use an awl to get through a blocked hole as that can damage string.
If needed I will make a plastic awl by using a scrap piece of stiff poly string and cut it to a sharp point, lube the tip with chap stick and place that through to open up the space. Really no need for string breaking awl to be used.

Super glue on the tip with a quick spray of accelerator to set it up stiffens the tip so you can push it through as well.Be sure to cut at sharp angle and once stiff it goes right on through, although I rarely need to use the glue method.Cutting to a point and pushing with bent nose pliers in small increments works the majority of the time.

On a lot of racquets you can weave the top two cross strings before you tension the end mains as that will eliminate 1/2 of the blocked holes you come across.

Irvin
04-23-2012, 10:35 AM
Just sitting here and had another one of my brain cramps. Why not take a nylon tie wrap (http://www.vexrobotics.com/media/catalog/product/cache/11/image/296x/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/2/7/276-1035-tie-wrap-4.jpg) and place in under the string before (or after) you tension it. The end of the tie wrap should be flat and thin enough to get it under the string. Then you can pull on one end and the head will pull the string past the whole. When you pull on the head you can remove the tie wrap.

fortun8son
04-23-2012, 01:05 PM
I'm sure the cable tie would work, but if you have just cut out the stringbed, you have plenty of scraps pre-bent in a U-shape lying around.

arnoldr
04-23-2012, 03:17 PM
thanks guys (jim, irvin, fortun8son). yup, i wasn't thinking at all. either string or zip tie should do the trick.

will try this out for the 3rd stick. hopefully, 3rd time's a charm.

arnold r.

Overheadsmash
04-23-2012, 05:05 PM
Something else I figured out is that when you start your crosses, put a small 1/4 inch pice of scrap between the base of your knot and the grommet and tension up against that scrap string. This keeps your knot from slipping far into the grommet and also keeps the grommet in nice shape because the scrap string is getting most of the abuse.

precision2b
04-24-2012, 07:35 AM

That is a good idea Jim e, i wish i knew about your idea before i got this http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage-PATHAWL.html

This works great, but scrap string is a lot cheaper!

arnoldr
04-24-2012, 08:23 AM
overheadsmash,
is this related to starting crosses and/or using a starting knot ? i don't use a starting knot (pro knot all the way).

arnoldr

Overheadsmash
04-24-2012, 06:42 PM
overheadsmash,
is this related to starting crosses and/or using a starting knot ? i don't use a starting knot (pro knot all the way).

arnoldr

Yes - for a two piece string job. Just helps from keeping the knot from going into the grommet when doing those crosses.

levy1
04-25-2012, 04:38 PM

arnoldr

My first time was 3 hours, good job!

arnoldr
04-25-2012, 06:23 PM
thanks levy1,
I figured I didn't do too bad for my very 1st time. I hope to get it down to an hour or less by my 4th or 5th racquet. Tough order, but something to shoot for.

arnoldr

gilly2571
04-30-2012, 06:02 PM
Just sitting here and had another one of my brain cramps. Why not take a nylon tie wrap (http://www.vexrobotics.com/media/catalog/product/cache/11/image/296x/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/2/7/276-1035-tie-wrap-4.jpg) and place in under the string before (or after) you tension it. The end of the tie wrap should be flat and thin enough to get it under the string. Then you can pull on one end and the head will pull the string past the whole. When you pull on the head you can remove the tie wrap.

I smell what you are cooking Irvin, have you tried it?

arnoldr
05-01-2012, 06:34 AM
gilly,
are you asking me if I have tried it ? If so, no I haven't tried the zip tie but I did try the scrap string. I would say it was effective but not as easy as i would have liked. So at this point, it's a mixture of scrap string, cut point and a lot of patience and a guide awl.

arnoldr

jim e
05-01-2012, 07:49 PM
That is a good idea Jim e, i wish i knew about your idea before i got this http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage-PATHAWL.html

This works great, but scrap string is a lot cheaper!

The scrap string works like it should every time. You just have to grab the ends and pull up or down with needlenose, and just look where you place the string, and don't be sloppy and have the strings be parallel and not cross over on the outside of the frame.

As far as pathfinder....
I never did like using any awl for stringing, even for blocked holes but if you insist on using one like a pathfinder awl that is cheap and flimsy, you can make your own very easily.

If you take a basketball inflation needle, cut off the tip and smooth it down real well so blunt and smooth, use that to place in a blocked grommet hole,(be sure that you place it through the proper side of racquet so you can remove it, like if going from inside to outside of racquet with string, place needle on outside in, and do reverse on going other way), pass the string through the needle, remove needle, and Bobs your uncle again. You will see that a 16g. string will fit inside the needle and needle won't break like a cheap pathfinder awl.

Like I said, I do not use awls any more for stringing, only use them to install grommet sets, as there are plenty of other ways to manage blocked holes.

Wikky
05-09-2012, 07:05 AM
Irvin you should probably invent something soon and retire as a multi billionaire when some company buys your idea out.

Irvin
05-09-2012, 07:24 AM
LMAO Yes I should. Hummm?????