PDA

View Full Version : How do you know if you did a bad string job?

orbit
04-18-2012, 02:19 PM
I strung a racquet a week or so ago and I play at a 4.5 or + level, and I've played about 3-4 times 2 hours each and I already snapped a string. I do hit with a lot of top spin but I'm trying to find out if the spin snapped the string... but it seems too soon? I used wilson stamina 16 synth gut at 60lbs with a dunlop 200g from 10 years ago. I've always used this racquet but lately it seems I've been having this problem. Any advice? Only one string snapped right in the middle of the racket.

gmatheis
04-18-2012, 02:30 PM
sounds like you are ready to move to poly

orbit
04-18-2012, 02:44 PM
I was actually given a free pair of luxilon string 16g but I've heard it gives some people tennis elbow and I have trouble with my shoulder every now and then from hitting hard. I've strung a racquet with luxilon but haven't tried it out. The reason I was sticking to syn gut was because it was 4 bucks a pack.

esgee48
04-18-2012, 04:23 PM
If you snapped a string in the middle of the string bed, odds are it was not due to a bad string job. More probable that it was you hitting the ball with topspin. You should check out the string bed and see if the mains are notching heavily. If they are, then congratulations; it's you.

If you go poly, there's a thread about using them at the 35-50# tension range. Since you hit with spin, you don't need to string poly at 60#; just < 55#. BTW, polys generally die after 8-15 hours of use, so if you are looking for longevity, I wouldn't use a poly unless you break everything else before that point.

gmatheis
04-18-2012, 05:40 PM
I was actually given a free pair of luxilon string 16g but I've heard it gives some people tennis elbow and I have trouble with my shoulder every now and then from hitting hard. I've strung a racquet with luxilon but haven't tried it out. The reason I was sticking to syn gut was because it was 4 bucks a pack.

You can get poly for about $6 a set (I think that's what my Tourna BHBR works out to when I buy a reel)

Don't string it anywhere near 60lbs though, honestly I'd recommend about 50lbs maybe even lower ... come to think of it maybe lower still if you have shoulder troubles sometimes ... like 46ish maybe.

You could also soften up the poly with syn gut crosses ... something like 50lbs on poly mains and 56lbs on syn gut crosses ... this is just a guess since I don't blend you might want to do a little more research on this kind of setup.