PDA

View Full Version : Help weaving shaped polys?

yem
04-19-2012, 08:57 AM
I was wondering if you have any tips for weaving shaped polys like cyclone or BHB7? They are very difficult to pull through with a normal weave.

So far, the best method I have used is the Irvin craft bead method:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ9T8fWs7Ws

Wikky
04-19-2012, 09:45 AM
loop and pull / string ahead is really the best advice you're going to get. Other than that you're right irvin's bead method is the best idea i've seen so far for people who are just starting to string.

retlod
04-19-2012, 01:00 PM
On the last two crosses, pull the entire length of the string through every weave or you'll end up with a hyper-twisted cross. Playability is probably not affected, but it sure does look funny.

zapvor
04-19-2012, 09:53 PM
yea if you are starting out its just more practice...you will get it

yem
04-20-2012, 07:30 AM
Thanks. I can weave rough strings like bhbr or bhsr no problem. I guess it will take time to get used to the bhb7.

alidisperanza
04-20-2012, 07:42 AM
loop and pull / string ahead is really the best advice you're going to get. Other than that you're right irvin's bead method is the best idea i've seen so far for people who are just starting to string.

Yup. Take your time. There's no rush with stringing.

Thanks. I can weave rough strings like bhbr or bhsr no problem. I guess it will take time to get used to the bhb7.

Wait, what?? Bhb7, while very sharp, isn't too difficult weave. Make sure to fan your crosses and give yourself enough room to work.

yem
04-20-2012, 08:20 AM
Yup. Take your time. There's no rush with stringing.

Wait, what?? Bhb7, while very sharp, isn't too difficult weave. Make sure to fan your crosses and give yourself enough room to work.

I'm definitely in no hurry, I just like to weave in one continuous motion, straight through.

By fan, do you mean weave toward the open part of the string pattern towards the throat?

I always string one ahead on crosses and weave the path of least resistance down towards the throat(I string 2 piece and start at the head). For some reason, the bhb7 keeps slipping our of my fingertips.

alidisperanza
04-20-2012, 01:09 PM
Ah, ok then this may help. Instead of weaving in one shot weave half the frame towards the throat (2pc, for one pc towards the head), pull some string through to give you some slack and then continue. It gets a lot easier. Fanning implies moving the woven cross up and down to facilitate movement as you pull the slack through.

yem
04-20-2012, 01:46 PM
Gotcha, I am fanning based on your description. I will definitely try to pull some slack mid way. Gonna string a couple today,I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the tip!

alidisperanza
04-20-2012, 05:15 PM
Gotcha, I am fanning based on your description. I will definitely try to pull some slack mid way. Gonna string a couple today,I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the tip!

I understand what you mean a little better now. The tips can be slippery little buggers. leaving yourself more slack will definitely make it easier though, especially at higher tension