PDA

View Full Version : What to do with the wide gap at either end of the cross

tennis4
04-19-2012, 10:44 AM
I just measured the gap between the 1st and 2nd cross is about 2.3-2.4cm. The gamma flying clamp is about 8-9mm between strings. Nonetheless the tension on these strings are not going to be actuate. Is there anyway to deal with it without having to upgrade to a fixed clamp system?

Thanks in advance.

KerryR
04-19-2012, 10:50 AM
The Stringway Triple flying clamp is a good way to get around this issue-- it's adjusted to use only the 2 outermost slots, the center is left empty. It's rarely a perfect fit, but it's much better than a standard clamp.

I believe Eagnas has an extra thick flying clamp for this purpose as well.

tennis4
04-20-2012, 07:43 AM
Do you think I can use the starting clamp on the 2nd cross against the frame from inside?

I might need to restring mine today before the triple clamp.

The Stringway Triple flying clamp is a good way to get around this issue-- it's adjusted to use only the 2 outermost slots, the center is left empty. It's rarely a perfect fit, but it's much better than a standard clamp.

I believe Eagnas has an extra thick flying clamp for this purpose as well.

KerryR
04-20-2012, 08:19 AM
The problem with trying to use a starting clamp on the inside of the frame is that you have to keep it from squishing the grommet as it draws back when tension is removed from c2. If you solve that issue, I suppose you COULD double pull c1 and c2 (common practice with flyers anyway), clamp c2 inside the frame, release tension on c2, double pull c2 and c3, allowing you to remove starting clamp from c2, then hopefully switch to the flying clamp, or if not, repeat the process on 2 more strings to get to the point where the crosses are closer together...

BUT:
I'd just use your current flying clamps 'till you can address the issue with thicker clamps if you want too-- many, if not most, folks with flying clamps don't have Stringways or other thick clamps. I know it's ugly watching the clamp pull those wider crosses together, and it obviously increases drawback, but if it was a big issue I think more companies would offer thick clamps, perhaps even include them as necessary components with their flying clamp based machines... You probably don't really need to worry about it, unless you want to.

tennis4
04-20-2012, 02:37 PM
I think that ugly gap should be ok. :-)

When I watch the video (http://www.stringway-nl.com/movie/CROSSSTR-2_90MB.wmv) hosted by stringway for its cross tool, the gap the tool pull on the mains is visible. The tool is repeating the same action for each cross so ... it is inevitable tension would be lost here or there.

So I think using regular floating clamp on c1 & c2 may not cause too much a tension deviation after all. I am looking for different opinions here as I am debating if a triple clamp offered by stringway is a MUST.

The problem with trying to use a starting clamp on the inside of the frame is that you have to keep it from squishing the grommet as it draws back when tension is removed from c2. If you solve that issue, I suppose you COULD double pull c1 and c2 (common practice with flyers anyway), clamp c2 inside the frame, release tension on c2, double pull c2 and c3, allowing you to remove starting clamp from c2, then hopefully switch to the flying clamp, or if not, repeat the process on 2 more strings to get to the point where the crosses are closer together...

BUT:
I'd just use your current flying clamps 'till you can address the issue with thicker clamps if you want too-- many, if not most, folks with flying clamps don't have Stringways or other thick clamps. I know it's ugly watching the clamp pull those wider crosses together, and it obviously increases drawback, but if it was a big issue I think more companies would offer thick clamps, perhaps even include them as necessary components with their flying clamp based machines... You probably don't really need to worry about it, unless you want to.

jswinf
04-20-2012, 02:56 PM
OP's issue is the reason I feel you should just use one flying clamp doing crosses, especially on the top and bottom few. Leaving that previous clamp in place, it seems to me that you're kind of 'locking in' some of that string distortion instead of unclamping the previous after you've pulled tension again, and maybe finding you need to adjust your dropweight (or whatever) before re-clamping.

tennis4
04-20-2012, 06:29 PM
A side question: how much difference (tension loss, etc) if fixed clamp is used when it comes to either end of the cross?

OP's issue is the reason I feel you should just use one flying clamp doing crosses, especially on the top and bottom few. Leaving that previous clamp in place, it seems to me that you're kind of 'locking in' some of that string distortion instead of unclamping the previous after you've pulled tension again, and maybe finding you need to adjust your dropweight (or whatever) before re-clamping.

KerryR
04-21-2012, 07:49 AM
I bet that the difference between doing the wide crosses with fixed vs. flying would be minimal. I suppose it could be measured with a stringmeter easily enough.

I'd agree that it makes sense to use only one flying clamp on the wide crosses to minimize any tension loss to the 'squeezing'.

I certainly don't think the S-way triple is a 'must'.

It's primary purpose is for taking advantage of running the last 3 mains m6, m8, m7, (on a 16x19 in this case) ala John Eliot Technique (JET or JayCee) which puts the last tensioned main in the center jaw so that there's no twist-drawback on those last mains, to minimize tension loss at tie off. You can also run the last three crosses c17, c19, c18 for the same effect, but then you're back to squeezing the strings towards each other to get them to fit the clamp.

Nothing to NOT recommend about the Stringway clamps. They're really nice, simple, solid, functional, and easy to adjust. But I certainly wouldn't say they're a MUST. MAYBE for low-tension full poly JET.