PDA

View Full Version : Clamps ruining lead tape at 12

vChRiSv
04-20-2012, 04:37 PM
Has anyone else had this problem?

I have lead tape at 12 o'clock, and I find that after stringing... a part of it seems to be pushed or damaged. It seems to be caused by the small little plastic part used in the clamp that presses against the inside of the frame. Any tips to preventing this? Should I try to get some cushioning for this part?

uk_skippy
04-20-2012, 04:45 PM
Yes, put the lead tape on but leave a gap at the centre mark. Then the support posts wont touch the lead.

Regards

Paul

mad dog1
04-20-2012, 04:54 PM
Yes, put the lead tape on but leave a gap at the centre mark. Then the support posts wont touch the lead.

Regards

Paul

+1...the frame support used to tear up my lead so i started doing this.

vChRiSv
04-20-2012, 04:59 PM
Wait... I may be using the parts wrong. I have a Gamma X-2, and they came with these little plastic tabs that have holes in them (like the clamps). Am I supposed to use them to support the inside of my frame? Or do I let my frame rest against the steel spiral cylinder that the clamp connects to?

Edit: Okay, found them in the book. They are called "Racquet Support Adapters". That seems to be what is wrecking the lead tape.

mad dog1
04-20-2012, 05:03 PM
Wait... I may be using the parts wrong. I have a Gamma X-2, and they came with these little plastic tabs that have holes in them (like the clamps). Am I supposed to use them to support the inside of my frame? Or do I let my frame rest against the steel spiral cylinder that the clamp connects to?

you're using it correctly. the plastic/nylon inserts support the frame from the inside without scratching the paint. if you let the frame contact the steel support, you will damage the frame's paint.

the plastic nylon inserts are crimping and tearing the lead tape when you are pulling tension on the mains. in your case, i don't think there's any way to avoid the lead tape getting chewed up unless you install it under the bumper guard.

vChRiSv
04-20-2012, 06:24 PM
in your case, i don't think there's any way to avoid the lead tape getting chewed up unless you install it under the bumper guard.

Nuts... my friend said the same thing. I actually didn't know that was an option. :-P One solution that I'm thinking of is buying some sort of soft material that I can glue/stick to the end of the Racquet Support Adapters. That way it can still hold the frame, but the actually part touching will be softer and hopefully be kinder to the lead.

drkplayer122
04-20-2012, 10:06 PM
What I did with mine's was put several layers of paper towel between the adapter and the frame. It didn't work out so great but it did help a good amount

Bud
04-20-2012, 11:18 PM
As someone else stated either split the tape at 12 so it's 2 pieces or just stick it on one side of the frame. If you choose method #2, mount the frame with the lead on the top.

Either method will work as the plastic adapter will never come in contact with the lead.

vChRiSv
04-21-2012, 05:09 AM
As someone else stated either split the tape at 12 so it's 2 pieces or just stick it on one side of the frame.

Actually, I've wondered about this second option. Is there a difference between putting the lead one both sides vs. putting the lead on one side of the frame? Or is it just for aesthetic appeal?

Clintspin
04-21-2012, 05:18 AM
And what do you do Bud when it's not your racquet?

Irvin
04-21-2012, 07:29 AM
Put the tape under the grommet

Clintspin
04-22-2012, 03:01 PM
I am talking about a customers racquet. I am not moving their lead tape around.

Irvin
04-23-2012, 04:33 AM

If I had a customer that had placed tape on their frame that got in the way of stringing I would suggest to them they move it. My first suggestion would be to place in under the grommet but that may require replacing the grommet. If that's not something they wanted to do I would suggest they split it up and put one section on each side of the center. If they just wanted it where it was and the stringing process damaged the tape I would like for them to be aware of why it was being damaged so they just did not think I was acting irresponsibly.

Bud
04-23-2012, 12:16 PM
Actually, I've wondered about this second option. Is there a difference between putting the lead one both sides vs. putting the lead on one side of the frame? Or is it just for aesthetic appeal?

No difference

And what do you do Bud when it's not your racquet?

Same thing. Either split it at 12 or place it on one side

Then, it'll be squished if your mounting points are at 6/12. I would think splitting it would look much better than having squished lead tape (which you'll have to remove and redo). Explain to your customer the issue and let them know your solution.

TennisCJC
04-25-2012, 11:17 AM
My opinion is the best option is to buy new grommets and put the lead under the top grommet/bumper rather than on the inside of the frame. Of course, you have to sure you have your final setup. If you put the lead under the bumper; then it is invisible, will not be damaged by machine supports or clamps, and will never come off.

It would be cool if all manufacters used capped grommets down the sides of the frames too like the prestige. Then, you could hide and protect all the lead include lead at 3/9 o'clock.

Irvin
04-25-2012, 01:20 PM
Sometime you can get the tape under the bumper without replacing the grommet.