PDA

View Full Version : Mounting racquetball racquets at 9 and 3 o'clock

lionel_101
04-23-2012, 08:23 AM
Hi Everyone,

I have a Gamma X-2 machine would like to know if it is ok to mount racquetball or even tennis racquets at the 9 and 3 o'clock position, instead of the standard and normal 12 and 6 o'clock.

It would make tensioning and tying off strings near the head and throat areas a lot easier. When looking at it, I don't see any reason I can't do it this way or any possible damage that can be done to the racquet.

Anyone have any comments on what bad things to the racquet could happen?

Thanks

seekay
04-23-2012, 08:47 AM
Short version: that's a bad idea, and in any configuration you'll be voiding the racquet's warranty.

Two point mounting systems support the frame from the inside at 12 and 6 o'clock to keep it from collapsing under the strain of having the mains strung (prior to the crosses balancing out the stress).

Turning the racquet 90 degrees and stringing the mains first would negate the support and allow the main strings to put rather immense stress on the frame.

Turning the racquet 90 degrees and stringing the crosses first would seem to avoid that problem, but the geometry is different (since racquets aren't perfectly circular) and as a result, you'll still end up stressing the frame more than stringing it the right way would.

lionel_101
04-23-2012, 10:41 PM
I mounted a racquet at the 9 and 3 o'clock position and it feels very secure, just like if it was at the normal 12 and 6 o'clock position.

Has anyone or those that made the stringer machine actually tried it to see what would happen or just going by what they think it will do.

I have an old used racquet and will give it a shot to see what happens. But would like more input from the veteren stringers here if posible.

fortun8son
04-24-2012, 01:05 AM
Don't...Crack! Aw, man!

Irvin
04-24-2012, 06:58 AM
Hi Everyone,

I have a Gamma X-2 machine would like to know if it is ok to mount racquetball or even tennis racquets at the 9 and 3 o'clock position, instead of the standard and normal 12 and 6 o'clock.

It would make tensioning and tying off strings near the head and throat areas a lot easier. When looking at it, I don't see any reason I can't do it this way or any possible damage that can be done to the racquet.

Thanks

Let's think about this for a minute. The top and bottom support on the X-2 hold the racket by pressing down on the top and bottom of the racket and there is a lip on the inside of the frame at the head and throat. So when you start your mains and pull from the head the lip at the bottom holds the racket so it will not slide up. And likewise when you pull from the throat the lip at the head keeps the racket from sliding down.

If you mount the racket at 3 & 9 what will keep the racket from sliding up and down when you start the mains?

mad dog1
04-24-2012, 08:42 AM
Hi Everyone,

Thanks

go to goodwill and pick up a cheap throwaway racquet for a few bucks and try stringing it by mounting it the way you suggested. come back and report your findings.

lionel_101
04-24-2012, 04:50 PM
I think I will forget about doing this and mount it the correct way. I never was good at logic and could be why my IQ is around 50.

xiaobo
04-24-2012, 06:36 PM
I think I will forget about doing this and mount it the correct way. I never was good at logic and could be why my IQ is around 50.

Lionel:

Did you ever restring Gearbox and/or ProKennex racquetball racquets with your Gamma X-2 machine? I am wondering how to tie off them on my Gamma 2 point mounting system.

Thanks.

Xiaobo.

lionel_101
04-24-2012, 11:03 PM
Lionel:

Did you ever restring Gearbox and/or ProKennex racquetball racquets with your Gamma X-2 machine? I am wondering how to tie off them on my Gamma 2 point mounting system.

Thanks.

Xiaobo.

Hi Xiaobo,

I was always able to tie off Gearbox and ProKennex racquets, except for the new F165/F175 models where the tieoffs / grommets are in a groove in the throat area. They call this the Force Flow Technology.

I actually had to make and shape my own hold down plates out of hard wood to make it easier to get at the grommets in the throat area for many racquetball racquets.

To me, I don't see any way for a 2 point mounting system, especially the X-2, using hold down plates can allow some one to cinch them up properly, if at all. When some one asks me to restring the Prokennex F165/F175 model, I have to say I can't do it.

I remember you bought a fancy looking machine, and I don't know how you will be able to cinch up or even tie a tie off knot with grommets under it.

If anyone is going to be doing racquetball racquets, definitely stay away from 2 point mounting machines and make sure it has fix clamps and adjustable small posts at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions.

Sorry I couldn't help you out and wish you good luck on finding a way to do it for you machine.

Irvin
04-25-2012, 05:03 AM
^^I beleive I understand what you are looking for now. It sounds like you are handy with tools. Have you ever thought of making something like this?

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=43917&stc=1&d=1214280093

EDIT: If you do I would make the side supports more like the babolat side supports with a 'V' shape so you have little more room to work with.
http://www.photostringer.com/images/Star_V_061225-22.jpg
Or here is one that Eagnas has
http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51219&stc=1&d=1234358292

lionel_101
04-25-2012, 08:23 AM
Irvin,

I wish I could make something like that, but I am not to good with tools.

I also wish I could get that Babolat machine as it has what is needed for racquetball racquets. At last, it is to expense for the couple of racquets I string a month.

If I had to buy a machine knowing what I do now, I would get at the very least a Gamma X-6FC. It has the right turnable with just the adjustable posts at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions and the fixed clamps to mount and string racquetball racquets.

Irvin
04-25-2012, 01:18 PM
^^If I were going to string racketball rackets I would never use anything other than 6 point and fixed clamps.

fortun8son
04-26-2012, 04:47 PM
The NEOS works great on racquetball racquets, though sometimes you have to get creative with the mounting, e.g. Ektelon with the power bridge works better mounted backwards and you need to reverse the throat clamp and skew it sideways to get at the tie offs on E-force.
The angled Prince flying clamps help a lot, too.