PDA

View Full Version : Used stringer questions

eric draven
04-25-2012, 06:35 AM
I used to own a NEOS 1000 years ago but sold it when my wife and I started a family. Since then I've been stringing on my old Klippermate. But I've begun to string a higher volume of rackets over the last year. Recently, I had a chance to buy an Eketelon DE really cheap and I jumped at the chance. The guy that sold it to me also gave me two extra tension heads. They are the older spring-loaded crank style that the NEOS design is based on. However, I've calibrated them and they work fine. I'm wondering if they are worth trying to sell or am I just better off keeping them for spare parts.

Also, having the Ektelon I am going to try and sell my Klippermate. It was purchased probably in the early 90's and works fine. I have all the parts and the two original floating clamps. Any idea what a fair price is to sell this machine for? Your feedback is appreciated!

MAX PLY
04-25-2012, 06:48 AM
Congrats on the purchase. So if I understand it, you now have three tension heads. An Ektelon owner might buy one and you could keep the other for back up. Assuming you plan to keep the DE unitl this side of forever, you actually might have the folks at tennismachinesdotcom tune-up the two heads you keep (or if I misunderstood, tune up your spare). A friend of mine just bought a used DE and we restored it and added an upgrade kit (not the original Eketelon one (they are no longer available) but one a very enterprising guy sells (search this section and you will find)--very happy with the result. You might, over time, want to purchase the current Neos 1000 clamps--they are excellent. Good luck. I have no idea what the old Klipper should go for--maybe 50 bucks to a kid who wants to start stringing.

eric draven
04-25-2012, 06:56 AM
Congrats on the purchase. So if I understand it, you now have three tension heads. An Ektelon owner might buy one and you could keep the other for back up. Assuming you plan to keep the DE unitl this side of forever, you actually might have the folks at tennismachinesdotcom tune-up the two heads you keep (or if I misunderstood, tune up your spare). A friend of mine just bought a used DE and we restored it and added an upgrade kit (not the original Eketelon one (they are no longer available) but one a very enterprising guy sells (search this section and you will find)--very happy with the result. You might, over time, want to purchase the current Neos 1000 clamps--they are excellent. Good luck. I have no idea what the old Klipper should go for--maybe 50 bucks to a kid who wants to start stringing.

Thanks for the response. Yes, I have three total tension heads and I'm now looking into the upgrade kit. Will the DE as is not fit most rackets now? I thought it was the mounting system that didn't fit the larger wide bodies and throat-less rackets.

eric draven
04-25-2012, 07:15 AM
Ok, I've been doing some research and it appears the previous owner upgraded the mounting system over the original DE setup. The 2-point mount matches the mounting system that I had on my NEOS so I'm assuming that this machine has already been upgraded. Am I correct on this?

MAX PLY
04-25-2012, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the response. Yes, I have three total tension heads and I'm now looking into the upgrade kit. Will the DE as is not fit most rackets now? I thought it was the mounting system that didn't fit the larger wide bodies and throat-less rackets.

It will fit some but not all. Check into the upgrade kit---it changes the mounting mechanism--problem solved and I think it was only around 100 bucks or so.

MAX PLY
04-25-2012, 07:23 AM
Ok, I've been doing some research and it appears the previous owner upgraded the mounting system over the original DE setup. The 2-point mount matches the mounting system that I had on my NEOS so I'm assuming that this machine has already been upgraded. Am I correct on this?

Oh, just saw this--if that's the case you are just fine (better than fine)--no upgrade kit needs I suspect. Send around a pic if you can.

eric draven
04-25-2012, 07:30 AM
Oh, just saw this--if that's the case you are just fine (better than fine)--no upgrade kit needs I suspect. Send around a pic if you can.

Ok good <phew>. I was panicking for a minute. Just tried to find the original pics off of craigslist but the seller already took them down. The DE was the cabinet model and I didn't want to take the cabinet so I'm trying to fabricate a stand for the stringer. Hoping to modify the one I built for my Klippermate so I will post the pics when I am done (hopefully by the weekend).