PDA

View Full Version : Eagnas Tools

TNIipc2731500
04-26-2012, 12:36 PM
Has anyone bought any tools like the starting clamp or tool sets from the eagnas website?

seekay
04-26-2012, 01:02 PM
I bought a starting clamp from them, and prefer it to the Gamma clamp. Customer service was terse but good.

mad dog1
04-26-2012, 01:07 PM
yes, the starting clamp is very good for the price. it's better than the gamma which i owned as well. i also have a eagnas tennis awl which is fine as well. but it's a bit thick so i generally only use it when i tie off strings or when installing new grommet sets.

loosegroove
04-26-2012, 01:10 PM
yes, the starting clamp is very good for the price. it's better than the gamma which i owned as well. i also have a eagnas tennis awl which is fine as well. but it's a bit thick so i generally only use it when i tie off strings or when installing new grommet sets.

So how do you use the awl when tying off string? I'm not sure how an awl would apply in this application.

fortun8son
04-26-2012, 03:37 PM
I got the tool assortment when I bought my machine.
The starting clamp, grommet grinders and awl work fine.
The stringbed cutters and diagonal cutters are awful.
The pliers are ok.
I never use the string straightener/puller.

Many people use the awl as a pin in the last cross grommet to minimize tension loss at tie-off.
It was once fairly common practice, though somewhat risky, as it is easy to nick the string.

4sound
04-26-2012, 03:54 PM
Starting clamp is pretty good. Does the job as it should. I use the awl on the last tie off on poly since its really stiff sometimes.

mad dog1
04-26-2012, 04:26 PM
So how do you use the awl when tying off string? I'm not sure how an awl would apply in this application.

I got the tool assortment when I bought my machine.
The starting clamp, grommet grinders and awl work fine.
The stringbed cutters and diagonal cutters are awful.
The pliers are ok.
I never use the string straightener/puller.

Many people use the awl as a pin in the last cross grommet to minimize tension loss at tie-off.
It was once fairly common practice, though somewhat risky, as it is easy to nick the string.

yep, this is exactly how i'm using it. given how thick and blunt the eagnas tennis awl is, it's almost impossible to nick the string so it works perfectly as a pin. i have a few silent partner tennis awls as well and those are much sharper and will nick and break a string.

levy1
04-26-2012, 05:24 PM
I tried to buy a pass through awl. Waited 4 months, made several calls to always be told it was shipping within a week. Asked for my money back a month ago and still do not have it. Love the machine, hate the service.

jim e
04-26-2012, 06:20 PM
I tried to buy a pass through awl. Waited 4 months, made several calls to always be told it was shipping within a week. Asked for my money back a month ago and still do not have it. Love the machine, hate the service.

Hi Fred:
I never did like using any awl for stringing, even for blocked holes but if you insist on using one like a pathfinder awl that is cheap and flimsy, you can make your own very easily.

If you take a basketball inflation needle, cut off the tip and smooth it down real well so blunt and smooth, use that to place in a blocked grommet hole,(be sure that you place it through the proper side of racquet so you can remove it, like if going from inside to outside of racquet with string, place needle on outside in, and do reverse on going other way), pass the string through the needle, remove needle, and Bobs your uncle again. You will see that a 16g. string will fit inside the needle and needle won't break like a cheap pathfinder awl.

Like I said, I do not use awls any more for stringing, only use them to install grommet sets, as there are plenty of other ways to manage blocked holes.

tennis_ocd
04-27-2012, 04:57 AM
Has anyone bought any tools like the starting clamp or tool sets from the eagnas website? Just purchased the starting clamp from the website a couple weeks ago and am pleased. Eagnas has been fine by me.