PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid with ATW stringing?

xiaobo
04-28-2012, 12:46 PM
I laughed when someone posted something about hybrid and ATW stringing. But it looks like someone did it long time ago. He called his stringing method SSHS (Sweet Spot Hybrid Stringing) which uses ATW technique. I wonder how that could be done. Unfortunately, he seems retired from http://groups.google.com/group/alt.sport.racquetball a few years ago. Below is his post in 2003:

Here's a suggestion for someone wanting to try real gut but is gunshy because of the price. If you're using one of the "pricier" synthetics like Gamma Livewire, Tecnifibre NRG2, or Wilson NXT you are paying in the $12 to $15 range just for the string. Top of the line gut (Babolat, Bow, BDE) runs $30 to $35, second run gut runs $20 to $25. By using the hybrid technique you can get 75% to 100% the benefit of the feel and playability of natural gut by using just half of a coil per racquet. The standard hybrid technique puts real gut in all the mains and a decent synthetic in the crosses. I've used this method and the feel and playability surpasses what you get from the "high-end" mullti's. Another more radical method that I've tried and am currently using in my Wilson Hyper DLX 170 frame is what I call "Sweet Spot Hybrid Stringing." This method puts the half coil of real gut in the center mains and the crosses in your sweet spot. The playability, feel, power and touch one gets is PHENOMINAL and at slightly more cost than half a coil of real gut. My current string job using Babolat Tonic+Ball feel ($25) actually cost $12.50 plus $1 for the Gosen OG-Sheep micro filler. At a total cost of $13.50 for material, that's LESS than many of the more expensive multifilaments!!! Another dirty little secret about the multifilaments is they loose their "pop" (resiliency) after just a few hours of play - real gut just keeps it's pop until it finally breaks, so the actual playability lifetime of gut is way longer than the multi's. The SSHS method uses standard ATW techniques and the tie offs provided on the racquet. If you'd like more info just let me know. - Mike

Here is the link to his thread: http://groups.google.com/group/alt.sport.racquetball/browse_thread/thread/cbd3b122a2b32aed/be3541a613084add?lnk=gst&q=hybrid+atw#be3541a613084add

Does anyone have any idea how to do his SSHS? Thanks.

Xiaobo.

esgee48
04-28-2012, 06:24 PM
Sounds like he strings the middle 8 mains and middle 8 crosses with the good stuff (gut) and the remainder with the synthetic gut. You would need to do it ATW because most frames only have four tie off grommets. However, some of the runs from mains to the first cross may be pretty long.

xiaobo
04-29-2012, 03:26 PM
Sounds like he strings the middle 8 mains and middle 8 crosses with the good stuff (gut) and the remainder with the synthetic gut. You would need to do it ATW because most frames only have four tie off grommets. However, some of the runs from mains to the first cross may be pretty long.

He mentioned that he did SSHS for his Wilson Hyper DLX racquetball racquet which is a 14M19C pattern. I don't see an easy way to do his SSHS without exceeding 20ft for each piece.