PDA

View Full Version : Two piece or ATW

topspin18
04-28-2012, 08:32 PM
I am going to string a babolat pure drive and it says to do a two piece but i was wondering if a ATW pattern would be ok.

Would this void the warranty?

Thanks

Ramon
04-28-2012, 08:56 PM
I've been experimenting with different patterns on my retired Babolat APDGT (same stringing pattern as the PD), and ATW works well. There were no big surprises, and I even did my own variation where both tie-off strings are crosses (I don't like leaving one perimeter main string loose while the other is tight). There were no permanent visible signs that another string pattern was used. I can't guarantee that if anything happens Babolat won't find out, but I can't imagine that it would be likely, unless you have a brand new frame which would mean that only 2 tie-off grommet holes would be enlarged.

topspin18
04-29-2012, 06:08 AM
ok thanks. I will probably try a ATW pattern when i string it next.

So is an ATW pattern OK to use for any racket that is recommended to be strung in a two piece pattern?

Ramon
04-29-2012, 10:30 AM
ok thanks. I will probably try a ATW pattern when i string it next.

So is an ATW pattern OK to use for any racket that is recommended to be strung in a two piece pattern?

I wouldn't make that generalization. Anytime you string a racquet not using the manufacturer's recommendations, it is at your own risk, albeit a very minimal risk in most circumstances. Some companies design their frames and grommets specifically for a certain pattern, and when you stray from it you may encounter a few surprises you didn't expect. All I'm saying is that the APDGT didn't give me any surprises with ATW.

jim e
04-29-2012, 11:39 AM
I am going to string a babolat pure drive and it says to do a two piece but i was wondering if a ATW pattern would be ok.

Would this void the warranty?

Thanks

First of all.
Are you sure that it is a Pure Drive?
There are a couple Pure Storm models that are specific to string as a 2 piece, but I do not know of a Pure Drive that is listed that way.

I know that there are a number of Pure Drive models, and I have strung many of them, even though I do string most of my string jobs as 2 piece, but....
I do not know of a Babolat Pure Drive that is only specific as to stringing it as a 2 piece. Where did you get your information??

Babolat Pure Drives can all be strung as 1 piece. Some of their junior Pure Drives are even specific to string as a one piece only.
Babolat even allows for stringing cross strings bottom up, but if I must string one as a one piece where the mains end at the throat, (some Pure Drive models end at the head) , I would string it as an ATW as that places less stress on the racquet stringing it top down.

Where did you get your information as only 2 piece for the Pure Drive???

You know, if you join the USRSA you not only get great information, free string samples, can speak to a USRSA tech on any stringing related question, but you also get their digest sent to you twice / year with the correct information on string patterns for just about any racquet, and you do not need to rely on what someone else may tell you and question the information given.It's a great org. and gives credibility to the craft.

Ramon
04-29-2012, 11:55 AM
First of all.
Are you sure that it is a Pure Drive?
There are a couple Pure Storm models that are specific to string as a 2 piece, but I do not know of a Pure Drive that is listed that way.

I know that there are a number of Pure Drive models, and I have strung many of them, even though I do string most of my string jobs as 2 piece, but....
I do not know of a Babolat Pure Drive that is only specific as to stringing it as a 2 piece. Where did you get your information??

Babolat Pure Drives can all be strung as 1 piece. Some of their junior Pure Drives are even specific to string as a one piece only.
Babolat even allows for stringing cross strings bottom up, but if I must string one as a one piece where the mains end at the throat, (some Pure Drive models end at the head) , I would string it as an ATW as that places less stress on the racquet stringing it top down.

I'm going under the assumption that if someone says he is stringing a Pure Drive, he doesn't actually have a Pure Storm. Here's where I got my information on the Pure Drive:

http://www.babolat.com/#/tennis/us/products/898
http://www.babolat.com/media/tennis/stringing_pattern/Pure_Drive.pdf

Maybe your information is different, or perhaps there is other literature from Babolat that they distribute?

jim e
04-29-2012, 12:12 PM
I'm going under the assumption that if someone says he is stringing a Pure Drive, he doesn't actually have a Pure Storm. Here's where I got my information on the Pure Drive:

http://www.babolat.com/#/tennis/us/products/898
http://www.babolat.com/media/tennis/stringing_pattern/Pure_Drive.pdf

Maybe your information is different, or perhaps there is other literature from Babolat that they distribute?

I get my information from the USRSA.
Your information , ( link you posted evidently you did not look at it very close) as right below # listed 19 and going into 20 on bottom right side of diagram shown on the link you supplied you will see a red transition from main to blue cross string, look at the solid line red square pattern line it is the line closest to the frame, going from main to cross 19 to 20, as that is for the option to string it as one piece as well and it is listed as bottom up for cross stringing as this is pattern listed in USRSA digest as well, as both one and 2 piece can be done, and both one and 2 piece are listed on that one diagram of the link that you referred to. The reason there are 4 knots as that is the 2 piece , but the one piece is listed on same diagram. Check it out! My information is not different, you just did not see the both options on the one diagram.

Another nice thing about the USRSA digest is all patterns are spelled out the same way so no confusion and you know the exact pattern, and if there are any specifics for a certain racquet they spell it out in the notes.

Ramon
04-29-2012, 12:43 PM
I get my information from the USRSA.
Your information , ( link you posted evidently you did not look at it very close) as right below # listed 19 and going into 20 on bottom right side of diagram shown on the link you supplied you will see a red transition from main to blue cross string, look at the solid line red square pattern line going from main to cross 19 to 20, as that is for the option to string it as one piece as well and it is listed as bottom up for cross stringing as this is pattern listed in USRSA digest as well, as both one and 2 piece can be done, and both one and 2 piece are listed on that one diagram of the link that you referred to. The reason there are 4 knots as that is the 2 piece , but the one piece is listed on same diagram. Check it out! My information is not different, you just did not see the both options on the one diagram.

Another nice thing about the USRSA digest is all patterns are spelled out the same way so no confusion and you know the exact pattern, and if there are any specifics for a certain racquet they spell it out in the notes.

Ok, now I see it. The dotted lines are an option in case you want to use a 2-piece pattern, so either 1-piece or 2-piece is correct. However, they don't specify an ATW pattern because the pattern on the illustration is bottom to top for the crosses, which is rather unusual. I would feel better myself using an ATW pattern and going from top to bottom.

I looked at the USRSA website, but I understand that a membership is $9/mon or $119/yr. Seems like a lot. Maybe I'll consider it if I ever open up a pro shop one day. I know KlipperUSA lists a lot of patterns, but it wasn't as obvious as the Babolat illustration once you pointed out the option.

Irvin
04-29-2012, 04:06 PM
Babolat recommend all their rackets be strung two piece but one piece is ok also on most. I would recommend two piece unless you just really want to string the racket with two knots.

topspin18
04-29-2012, 05:55 PM
Where does one learn what rackets companies recommend two piece and one piece?

Also which ones recommends each?

Irvin
04-30-2012, 04:15 AM
^^Call and ask or visit their website. You can also join the USRSA and you will see what they recommend. The manufacturers usually go along with them.

jim e
04-30-2012, 06:45 AM
Where does one learn what rackets companies recommend two piece and one piece?

Also which ones recommends each?

The USRSA is a great org. for stringers. They have a digest with most all racquets listed patterns, as well as 1 or 2 piece or both being able to use (Like your racquet can be done as 1 or 2 piece as listed in digest), and the patterns they list is from the mauuf. It is all in one book, and it is sent out twice / year updated. They also have an online digest that is up to date with the most recent racquets listed, and at times it is on USRSA site before manuf. even list them on their own site. (Although the USRSA online digest is a little tempermental, as sometimes need to input racquet a few times before it lists it, as that is why I prefer the actual digest in hand) . You get a subscription to their mag. RSI. They also give free string samples throughout the year (some years the string you get has value of just about the cost of membership, and it allows you to try different strings that you may never have used) , and you can also pick up the phone and speak directly to a USRSA technician on any stringing problem you may have, and it can be stringing or a string type question or just about anything related to stringing. The few times I needed to call they were able to supply me with the proper information in a timely fashion, and very very friendly. They will do whatever it takes to help you. If you are just starting out they also have a great Racquet Services Technique Guide that is full of everything you need to know. They also give credibility to the craft. Well worth it in my opinion. I started stringing back in the 60's, and had a great # of racquets back then stringing as there was no one in my area back then stringing racquets, this was before internet,before USRSA, before videos on stringing etc. Now you have a great deal of information avail. I never had back then.

Irvin
04-30-2012, 08:52 AM
I agree with everything 'jim e' said but I think stringers need to know a little more about how to string and not just look it up. Everyone makes mistakes. Take this grommet for instance:

http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp304/Irvin44_2008/DSC_0001.jpg?t=1335800218

I am only showing one half of the bumper guard but the other side is the mirror image. From this grommet I can tell it is for 18 main racket, the mains start at the throat, and tie off at the bottom of the racket. The mains skip 8H and 10H, the first cross is in 8H and ties off at 6H, and there are no shared grommet in the top of the racket. Every stringer who knows what they are doing should know this.