PDA

View Full Version : Storing an open pack of natty gut?

Power Player
04-30-2012, 07:54 AM
I was storing an open pack of natty gut in a sealed sandwich bag and so far it seems to have worked since it strung up well and is playing nicely so far.

Is this the best way to go?

Also, how do you determine proper clamp tension? I got some "white marks" when I clamped off, but the gut gets those regardless from the gripper in my Stringway..so it's tough to tell what too tight really is.

Rabbit
04-30-2012, 09:11 AM
Since I started by on natural gut hybrids, I find that I have a half set for a period of time. I think you're fine with a sandwich bag, don't add anything for humidity or wipe it down with baby oil, etc. it'll be fine.

Regarding clamp tension, you will get some white marks. The rule of thumb is your clamps should be only tight enough so that the string doesn't slip. If you feel they're too tight, I would ask when the last time you cleaned them, etc. Stringing gut means that your clamps should be clean and they probably need to be cleaned more often.

Power Player
04-30-2012, 09:20 AM
Perfect thanks.

I clean the clamps before I string gut each time.

diredesire
04-30-2012, 10:23 AM
The stringway gripper is pretty darn gentle, I wouldn't worry about it. If you are worried, you can do a U-loop around the back of the tensioner, so both sides of the jaw are gripping. This is marginally more gentle on the string.

As far as storage of the gut, I'd also recommend putting in a dessicant pack (silica gel that you find in boxes with electronics, random products, etc). I collect these when I find them in packages, and use them for various things when I need them. If you don't have dessicant/silica gel, some rice works well for absorbing moisture in the air. I'd find a way to store the rice so it's not loose in the bag with the gut (smaller ziploc with a few holes poked in it, etc).

This is largely optional unless you live somewhere with a soupy environment. You don't want to overdry the gut, but keeping it in a humidity free environment is important.

Power Player
04-30-2012, 10:38 AM
great call on the silica pack. I will do that for sure.

Knocking on wood, but so far I have had a great experience stringing gut, I just want to keep that streak alive.

pvaudio
04-30-2012, 10:40 AM
Honestly, ziploc bag in a normal home and you'll be fine.

fortun8son
04-30-2012, 01:07 PM
I've been using the double zip storage bags.
Sandwich bags a rather flimsy and not always airtight.