PDA

View Full Version : Can I reuse flattened string?

Woolybugger
04-30-2012, 11:01 AM
Had a clamp which was uneven so it closed down like a "V" with one end much tighter than the other. I didn't realize this until I pulled tension and the string slipped. Unfortunately, the string was also pinched, about 2 inches of it, so it isn't nice and round but flat as a pancake. I immediately stopped the job and fixed the clamp.

Question: Can I still restring with the flattened string? How will the performance and durability be affected?

Irvin
04-30-2012, 11:11 AM
I assume you already know the answer but just to confirm your suspicions, it will be fine until it breaks which will not be long.

Woolybugger
04-30-2012, 12:13 PM
Aargh! Hate to waste a brand-new pack of string. I'll try as best to relocate the flattened part to a cross near the bottom and hope it lasts. Thanks for the reply!

Irvin
04-30-2012, 01:02 PM
Good luck.

coachrick
04-30-2012, 01:20 PM
Aargh! I'll try as best to relocate the flattened part to a cross near the bottom and hope it lasts.

Spoken like someone who has been stringing his/her own rackets for longer than you indicate ;) . IF you could make sure the squooshed area doesn't end up making the turn around the frame inside a grommet, it would be even better. YMMV if it's natural gut or a really fragile multi. You could always set it aside to use in something less critical(like an ex-girlfriend's racket :) ) or hybrid the uninjured string with something else.

There's something to be said for making mistakes and learning from them...as long as it's not for a tournament player who has a match in 20 minutes! ;)