PDA

View Full Version : Looking to Hit In Hilton Head S.C. 7/30 - 8/06

GuyPerez
07-28-2005, 04:31 PM
I will be in Shelter Cove Harbour on Hilton Head Island South Carolina all next week (1st week of August). Willing to play, singles, mens doubles or mixed. I am a USTA 4.0 singles player and will play with any level players, or just drill. Write me here, or call my cell xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks.

NoBadMojo
07-28-2005, 06:01 PM
Hi Guy..as a suggeston you could call Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center with your dates and they should be able to match you up w. some tennis...very busy there and there should be no shortage of tennis players at your level. I think Shelter Cove is a part of Palmetto Dunes? if you're a true 4.0, tell them you're a 4.5 and then you are likely to get a 4.0. they should also have stroke of the day clinincs which are normally really reasonable and some other stuff going on

GuyPerez
07-28-2005, 06:44 PM
Thanks Ed. I will be contacting them for sure. Yes, Shelter Cove is part of Palmetto Dunes, but I only have golf priviledges, not tennis (I have access, just have to pay extra).

Should I tell them I am 5.0? This year was my first at 4.0 and I went 10 and 1 in singles, so may be well on my way to being bumped to 4.5 by the computer. Do they normally match you down a level? Is that because people over rate themselves?

NoBadMojo
07-28-2005, 07:38 PM
Guy...i would just say you are a 4.5. yes, lots of people seem to overrate themselves especially at resorts..good record man..i think you need to be bumped for sure and i bet you will enjoy the competiton. enjoy your holiday.

Z-Man
07-31-2005, 03:12 PM
I don't know about Palmetto Dunes, but Van Der Meer (Shipyard) and Sea Pines (Harbor Town) both have advanced drills (4.0+), which can be really fun. Pros are excellent at both places. You never know what you'll get at Hilton Head--I've seen 3.0s who thought they were 4.0s, but I've also run into some college players who were amazing. If you're the only one who shows up for advanced drills (which has happened to me several times when it's insanely hot), you get the pro to yourself, and you'll have a great workout. If a 4.0+ player has signed up on the "looking for a match" list, you might be able to find out if he's any good or not by asking the pro who does the drills. They see the same players every year, and they remember the good ones.

mm_tennis
08-15-2005, 04:20 PM
Hilton Head has great tennis

Gary Britt
08-15-2005, 06:43 PM
I don't know about Palmetto Dunes, but Van Der Meer (Shipyard) and Sea Pines (Harbor Town) both have advanced drills (4.0+), which can be really fun. Pros are excellent at both places. You never know what you'll get at Hilton Head--I've seen 3.0s who thought they were 4.0s, but I've also run into some college players who were amazing. If you're the only one who shows up for advanced drills (which has happened to me several times when it's insanely hot), you get the pro to yourself, and you'll have a great workout. If a 4.0+ player has signed up on the "looking for a match" list, you might be able to find out if he's any good or not by asking the pro who does the drills. They see the same players every year, and they remember the good ones.

I agree about Van Der Meer. I loved the advanced drill clinics. A good value for the money as well.

Gary

Z-Man
08-15-2005, 07:24 PM
Gary:
I think I've seen you at Van Der Meer twice. (I'm Al from LaGrange.) I love those drills--too bad Steve is leaving. He's a great guy and he has helped my game a lot. Good luck with that K-Swiss League in ATL...
Al

Gary Britt
08-15-2005, 08:23 PM
Gary:
I think I've seen you at Van Der Meer twice. (I'm Al from LaGrange.) I love those drills--too bad Steve is leaving. He's a great guy and he has helped my game a lot. Good luck with that K-Swiss League in ATL...
Al

Hey Z-Man/Al, where is LaGrange? That definitely wants to ring a bell with me. Sadly I haven't been to Van Der Meer's since 2001. 2001 was a good year I got to go there several times while doing some business on the Island, and once or twice went there with my wife as well that year.

Did we play? Did we play mixed? I want to remember I had the same vague feeling about where LaGrange was when we met on the island as I'm having now.?

Hopefully, I'll get back there at the end of this year at least once. I kind of got away from the game for a few years, and I'm just starting the long road back this summer.

I'm not sure I remember Steve by name anyway. What does he look like. I enjoyed a couple private lessons from Topi that year. Is Topi still there?

Gary

Z-Man
08-16-2005, 09:24 AM
Oops! I might have you confused with another guy named Gary who I've seen there. (dark hair, 4.0+, played K-Swiss league in ATL). Can't remember how far back it was. Anways, Steve is the red haired guy who does the hardcourt drills. I think Tapi is at Shipyard. I love playing there. Now all I need is a couple of days off so I can get to Hilton Head...

Gary Britt
08-16-2005, 09:57 AM
Oops! I might have you confused with another guy named Gary who I've seen there. (dark hair, 4.0+, played K-Swiss league in ATL). Can't remember how far back it was. Anways, Steve is the red haired guy who does the hardcourt drills. I think Tapi is at Shipyard. I love playing there. Now all I need is a couple of days off so I can get to Hilton Head...

I know I've met someone there, at Shipyard, from LaGrange on one or two occasions, it may well have been you. I've got the dark hair, or at least I used to have it (g). However, I'm not a 4.0+, and I was playing ALTA & USTA league tennis in Atlanta and I'm not familiar with a "K-Swiss" league. When I was there in 2001 I was at the top of my game, for me. I was a high 3.5 in league and tournament play, but could have been mistaken for a low 4.0 by some. My wife and I played a doubles match with a couple once who were looking for some 3.5's to play with at Van Der Meer's at Shipyard and they chided me in a friendly way of sandbagging them and being really a 4.0. I told them in Atlanta league play we were definitely 3.5's, but they didn't want to believe me. Nice couple.

I always love it there. I haven't been to the in town Van Der Meer's site since around 1992. Its great there as well, but we've started liking the Shipyard location a bit better.

Hope to see you there again someday.

Gary

Gary Britt
08-16-2005, 09:20 PM

Hey, Z-Man that K-Swiss league in Atlanta that you referenced that wasn't a Team Tennis style league format was it? I just remembered I did play a couple seasons of a Team Tennis format league back in 2000 to 2001. I had almost forgotten about it.

Gary Britt

Z-Man
08-17-2005, 09:46 AM
Sorry--I mistook you for another guy named Gary from ATL who plays over there. Oh well--good luck with your tennis!

simon
08-18-2005, 09:49 AM
I think Tapi is at Shipyard. I love playing there. Now all I need is a couple of days off so I can get to Hilton Head...

He's at Palmetto Dunes now. Just recently played against him and his daughter (about 12 years old)...quite a combo! He also does some cool cardio tennis workouts that are particularly brutal in mid August.

Sorry I missed this thread. I think I missed GuyPerez's last visit, too, due to work that came up but if anyone is down here throw a post up in the forums and you can set up a time to beat the tar out of me.

simon

Gary Britt
08-18-2005, 10:35 AM
He's at Palmetto Dunes now. Just recently played against him and his daughter (about 12 years old)...quite a combo!

simon

If you and your partner weren't 4.5's I'm sure that was a really tough combo. His 12 year old, if she's been playing seriously since she was 5 or 6 would be a 4.0 probably, and Topi of course is a pro. Most 12 year olds don't know how to play doubles even though they have excellent strokes, but knowing from personal experience how well Topi knows doubles, I bet that's not the case with his daughter.

I'm very picky about the quality of the teaching level, knowledge, and experience of any pro that I pony up $60 to $85.00 an hour for a private lesson (and in almost all other cases I'd rather hit against a wall than take a private lesson from somebody who only gets paid $30/hr or less), and I really enjoyed the private lessons I got from Topi. I found he was an excellent communicator, very knowledgeable, and able to offer some excellent stroke analysis and strategic advice.

One lesson I had with him was just before the Georgia State USTA league championships, and after hitting with me for a bit he was able to really offer some very specific and excellent advice on things I could do to play better doubles with the strokes I already had, and then he set about having me practice these various things and strategies. It was an excellent lesson. I'm sure he's excellent on stroke production and all other areas that a good pro needs to handle.

I went back for one or two other lessons from him as I could, and I had my wife take one or two from him. We saved his card and contact info, so we could call ahead when returning to the island. He was worth it.

I'm glad to know where to find him, because while I love the advanced drill clinics at Van Der Meer, I wouldn't hesitate to go to Palmetto Dunes to get a private lesson from Topi. As long as he still gives lessons of the quality he gave me and my wife in 2001, it wouldn't be worth trying anyone else.

Gary Britt