PDA

View Full Version : Eagnas flex 740. opinions wanted!

christian
05-02-2004, 05:50 PM
the attraction of this machine is the price. I would save about 250 dollars compared to it's similar machine the alpha pioneer dc. I have heard about things going wrong with Eagnas machines, BUT with a drop weight I think that there might be a less chance, the only problems I could maybe see would be with the clamps. Opinions much appreciated, especially if you own the machine or have experience with it.

Redferrari350
05-02-2004, 06:29 PM
Poorly made machine. Don't buy it. Save up additional 250 and get a decent machine like pioneer dc plus. Also, check out the stringforum.net. Good review database on popular machines. Prices reflected on the reviews are not up to date. Most are little bit higher currently.

bsandy
05-02-2004, 07:34 PM
I have a flex 740. It's not the machine I'd have if I were trying to make money at it. . . . 6 point mounting. Swivel clamps . . . 239. I'm really sure what there is to go wrong on this machine, or why someone would knock it.

. . . Bud

Ben42
05-03-2004, 11:44 AM
I had one and sent it back.

The tension arm would stick when pulling tension. Since it didn’t rotate freely it would never pull a consistent tension. When I finally tried it with a calibrator it would pull anywhere from –10lbs to +7lbs from the desired tension.

When I told Maxline about it and asked that they remedy it I was first told that, “only an Eagnas calibrator can measure an Eagnas stringer.”

When I said that that was an unacceptable answer Victor then told me I should just lower the arm, “very, very slowly.”

I immedieatly returned the piece of crap and finally (after disputing the charge with my credit card company) got a refund. Minus the exorbitant shipping charges, of course.

What I can’t figure out is why anyone who reads these boards would still do business with Eagnas/Maxline.

mr. stevo
05-10-2004, 03:01 PM
despite the flex's really bad tension accuracy does anyone have anything bad about the mounting system? And the clamps? I am interested in building a hybrid machine and need some info. thanks

BOSSMANBUDDYLEE
11-05-2007, 12:30 PM
I have created a hybrid with Eagnas stand, base & clamps but I use 2086 Wise Pro Tension Head instead of the manual Eagnas crank. I had zero probems with the Eagnas crank but most of my clients prefer the 2086 Wise head. I string professionally for a major tennis club and a small tennis program. I hope this helps.

nousername
11-05-2007, 01:06 PM
I had one and sent it back.

The tension arm would stick when pulling tension. Since it didn’t rotate freely it would never pull a consistent tension. When I finally tried it with a calibrator it would pull anywhere from –10lbs to +7lbs from the desired tension.

When I told Maxline about it and asked that they remedy it I was first told that, “only an Eagnas calibrator can measure an Eagnas stringer.”

When I said that that was an unacceptable answer Victor then told me I should just lower the arm, “very, very slowly.”

I immedieatly returned the piece of crap and finally (after disputing the charge with my credit card company) got a refund. Minus the exorbitant shipping charges, of course.

What I can’t figure out is why anyone who reads these boards would still do business with Eagnas/Maxline.
on the other hand, i had an alpha pioneer dc plus and sent it back. please read this story (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=163734).

as for your last comment, eagnas sells a lot more machines than anyone else, so there's bound to be more complaints.

also, from what i understand, eagnas machines do not come assembled (correct me if i am wrong). this is presumably done to save cost, which is fine with me. But i'm sure that is also the result of a lot of the complaints, b/c i bet some of them don't get assembled properly by the customers and then of course the machines don't work correctly. i mean no offense to anyone, but it's simply true that some people are just more inclined to those type of things than others...

i remember multiple times where i've purchased unassembled products that come with horrible and sometime outright wrong assembly instructions. i have a decent aptitude for mechanical stuff, so these things never phase me. i often have to buy parts myself or come up with my own solution just to make things work, and i'm sure some wouldn't be able to do that... surely, a good way to rack up complaints, BUT it doesn't necessarily mean the products are junk... i just wonder if eagnas/maxline machines have this problem??? ... esp if the assembly instructions are from some chinese factory written by non-native english speakers.

if someone knows better, please comment on the above... i will know better tomorrow, as that is when my eagnas machine arrives. =)

christian, why not consider the challenger I or Combo 710, since they are very similar to the alpha pionner?

rorschack
11-05-2007, 01:54 PM
Okay, I am qualified for this thread. I am a proud owner of the Flex 740. I bought it for the same reason as the OP. Save some big bucks! Since I didn't plan to string for MANY customers, I didn't mind the cone lock and drop weight slowing me down. But the fixed clamp, 6 points mounting, and clutch system is a big jump from the world far far away known as Klippermate. :)

I live in Los Angeles, so I figure if something goes wrong, I can just bring the machine to the warehouse, which is within half hour from where I am, without worrying about shipping cost.

My experience with the Flex 740 is an 8 out of 10. Mainly all good. The tension is accurate 100% of the time as I had a fish scale and checked it. Read my recent posts. The only problem I had with it was the spring within the clutch system broke after about 9 months or 50 string jobs (rough guess). This is a common problem as evident from older threads in this forum, but it's very easy to repair. Do a search and there's a video of how to replace the clutch spring yourself. I called Maxline and went there to pick up a replacement spring without any charges. Make sure you keep the original invoice.

Now, I string for a handful of customers and friends; and that I wish I should have spent a bit more. Here are what I'd love to have now in order to save time:
1)brake on the turntable
2)spring assisted swivel clamp instead of cone-lock

Either the Challenger or Combo @ $300 bucks would have both of those features. I think. :confused:

The clamps worked fine. I invested in an alpha starting clamp and also developed better starting techinques, so I know how to deal with the occasional issues of string slipping during the first main pulls.

Basically, if you are a home stringer, stringing a few frames per week, then it's the Flex 740 makes the most sense! I can string a racquet with an open string pattern in half an hour with half a brain running. :D

I play tennis pretty seriously, about 4 times a week at 4.5 to above level, and refuse to pay for a stringing machine that cost $500 bucks or more where something half the cost can do the same job. It's like, do you want to get to the mall in your Honda or your Beamer? :)

rorschack
11-05-2007, 01:56 PM
on the other hand, i had an alpha pioneer dc plus and sent it back. please read this story (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=163734).

as for your last comment, eagnas sells a lot more machines than anyone else, so there's bound to be more complaints.

also, from what i understand, eagnas machines do not come assembled (correct me if i am wrong). this is presumably done to save cost, which is fine with me. But i'm sure that is also the result of a lot of the complaints, b/c i bet some of them don't get assembled properly by the customers and then of course the machines don't work correctly. i mean no offense to anyone, but it's simply true that some people are just more inclined to those type of things than others...

i remember multiple times where i've purchased unassembled products that come with horrible and sometime outright wrong assembly instructions. i have a decent aptitude for mechanical stuff, so these things never phase me. i often have to buy parts myself or come up with my own solution just to make things work, and i'm sure some wouldn't be able to do that... surely, a good way to rack up complaints, BUT it doesn't necessarily mean the products are junk... i just wonder if eagnas/maxline machines have this problem??? ... esp if the assembly instructions are from some chinese factory written by non-native english speakers.

if someone knows better, please comment on the above... i will know better tomorrow, as that is when my eagnas machine arrives. =)

christian, why not consider the challenger I or Combo 710, since they are very similar to the alpha pionner?

You won't have a problem with assemblying the machine. After finishing a six pack, you can do it blindly. But seriously, if you can assemble stuff from Ikea, you'll be fine.

nousername
11-05-2007, 02:37 PM
You won't have a problem with assemblying the machine. After finishing a six pack, you can do it blindly. But seriously, if you can assemble stuff from Ikea, you'll be fine.
yeah, i wasn't worried about myself.

i was just speculating as to whether the "assembly required" was the reason for some of the eaganas complaints, since certainly some customers may botch the job (although, agreed it shouldn't be hard).