PDA

View Full Version : UC Irvine Tennis camp

new_west
07-28-2005, 08:31 PM
I went to UC Irvine's tennis camp on July 11th to the 15th. I had a really great experience. I went for a full day. Each morning we focused on a motivational quote, which we talked about. and we focused on something different each of the 5 days like one of the days, most of the morning was drop shots, lobs.. The coaches were really great. One head coach and college players from UC Irvine and other places. They really helped me improve my game and during the lunch break and swim break (optional) I got extra coaching to improve my serve. The afternoon, some more drills but a lot of play from Davis Cup; singles and doubles. I think its a great camp, i improved greatly, made some good friends. The food kinda was lackluster but iwould recommend it to anyone.

goober
07-28-2005, 08:54 PM
was it juniors only or do they have adults as well?

Kirisaki
07-28-2005, 08:58 PM
thanks for the recommendation. I live close to irvine (45 minutes away by car) and was already considering it. i'll definitely be looking more into it.

new_west
07-29-2005, 01:05 AM
You're welcome.

goober, i don't think theres a adults program but you can check out the website: http://www.athletics.uci.edu/CCP/pages/tennis suprisingly, i couldn't find the camp from tennis camps sites, i just typed in UCI tennis camp just to see if they had one and found the site.

scotus
07-29-2005, 08:15 AM
I attended a week-long tennis camp at UC Irvine a long time ago when I was young. Back then it was sponsored by adidas. I don't know if it still is.

One thing I would advise to those who want to attend camps such as this:

Make sure you are in tip top shape before you get there. If not, your muscles will become very sore for the next few days, making it harder for you to move, and you will not get your money's worth from the camp. Also, not only do you need to get your muscles in good shape but also your skin. Your hands and feet must be ready to take the 5+ hours of tennis a day. When I was at the camp, I developed huge blisters on both feet, and I would have gotten so much more out of the camp if I had better prepared myself for it.

supersmash
07-29-2005, 09:10 AM
how come i wasn't aware of this? i'm only 15 minutes away from UCI..

scotus
07-29-2005, 09:43 AM
Back when I went there in the late 80's, it was a sleep-over camp. We received all three meals a day and stay at UCI dormitories. It was over $400, though.

Back then we had students come from all over the country. Perhaps this particular camp caters to Orange County residents.

new_west
07-29-2005, 06:26 PM
scotus - I came from Singapore to visit California, like i do each year. There were people from Austria, France who came to the camp, so it wasn't only for OC residence. I really agree with your post on being on tip top shape. Loads of sun-screen is essential. I did develop blisters by the mid week which hurt a lot, but managed to last the whole week pretty well. Won most improved!

Supersmash- I'm suprised this camp isn't listed anywhere. I couldn't find it on any website on the internet that listed California tennis camps. I only just typed in UCI tennis camp just to curiously see if they had one.