PDA

View Full Version : OK To Crazy Glue a knot?

JackB1
05-06-2012, 03:51 PM
I was pulling a knot a little too tight with gut mains and it started to fray a little. I immediately stopped tightening and inspected it. It liked a little precarious so I put a drop of crazy glue on the spot that was fraying on the knot. I was careful not to get the glue near the grommet or frame. Just one little drop on each side.

What do you guys think? Was this OK to do and will it keep the knot from breaking?

esgee48
05-06-2012, 04:06 PM
Doesn't hurt. I actually keep a bottle of clear nail polish (ask the SO to buy it :oops:) to do this on knot ends (multis) to keep them from fraying.

As far as preventing the knot from breaking, unlikely. Stress from shanks could break a string anywhere, but normal hits in the sweetspot will not affect your repair since most of the impact force is absorbed by frictional forces of the string-grommet interface. What I would worry about is internal damage to the string since that is something you cannot see until you saw the external gut fraying. 2 cent opinion. :?

rich s
05-06-2012, 06:56 PM
I was pulling a knot a little too tight with gut mains and it started to fray a little. I immediately stopped tightening and inspected it. It liked a little precarious so I put a drop of crazy glue on the spot that was fraying on the knot. I was careful not to get the glue near the grommet or frame. Just one little drop on each side.

What do you guys think? Was this OK to do and will it keep the knot from breaking?

not a problem.... I've done it before with super glue and also with nail polish....

don't be surprised though if the knot is stuck to the grommet when you restring..... you might have to pull a little harder to free the string when removing it from the frame..... (ask me how I know)

nalvarado
05-07-2012, 05:55 PM
I once completely glued a knot to the grommet of my PT600. It was the most frustrating 20 minutes of my life. Use the glue SPARINGLY.

drakulie
05-07-2012, 07:48 PM
Babolat use to make a glue specifically for placing glue on knots. I think I still might have the bottle at work.

Not a problem as long as you use it sparingly, and are careful not to get it on grommets.

JackB1
05-07-2012, 08:03 PM
so the stringjob is holding so far :-)

played 3 sets of dubs tonite and so far so good!

codyjames14
05-07-2012, 10:53 PM
Twice now I have had to do this. While tying off my knots, the string broke. I was doing a doing the second hitch of a double half hitch both times and the string snapped. Both times I just super glued the not, and it held til the string actually broke.

Wuppy
05-07-2012, 11:41 PM
I've done it when I clipped the end too close.

fortun8son
05-09-2012, 12:50 AM
Be sparing with the glue.
Super glue has a capillary action and will creep inside the grommet.
I recently had a racquet come in where I had to (gently) use a grommet grinder to get the piece of string out of the grommet.
The strings had been cut flush by the owner and Nothing was going to get that 1/4" piece out of the grommet!
Clear nail polish is better.

rich s
05-09-2012, 05:16 AM
Clear nail polish is better.

Fire Engine Red is pretty good too.... :)

Irvin
05-09-2012, 06:54 AM
If it is your racket you can do whatever you want. If you find that is bad mark it up to experience. If I took my racket in to get it strung and the knot was glued I would never go back.

drakulie
05-09-2012, 09:10 AM
Here is the glue I was posting about earlier in the thread, made by Babolat:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/drakulie/5e942173.jpg

Irvin
05-09-2012, 10:13 AM
^^http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=7220485854

EDIT: For the protection of the natural gut glue, used to repair the loss of the gut in the process of hitting the exterior protective coating, isolated gut in contact with air, effectively reduce the phenomenon of weak in the gut absorption of moisture, delaying pounds lower. Difficult to wear the fluff after gut, significantly extend the life of the gut. Catgut home necessities.

zapvor
05-09-2012, 11:26 AM
Here is the glue I was posting about earlier in the thread, made by Babolat:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/drakulie/5e942173.jpg

very cool! i didnt know they made that. drak you are stringing on a prince now?

drakulie
05-10-2012, 08:18 AM
Zap, that is the machine at work. I still have the star 4 and baiardo at home.

Radicalized
05-10-2012, 11:25 AM
Drak:

You're like Batman. Can you make a post of stringing gear you don't have?

NoobWannabe
05-10-2012, 12:02 PM
Gluing knotts makes you look like a noob tho hehehe xD

fattsoo
05-11-2012, 03:45 PM
i actually use a lighter to burn the end of the strings after it is tied...this way it won't fray and also it rounds the end making it not sharp at the end when it brushes against my skin

MAX PLY
05-12-2012, 05:11 AM
A gut varnish like Babol (I think there is a Pacific equivalent product, if you can find it) would be preferable. I suspect nail polish would be the best next option and glue is the final option (the points made above re glue and grommets are spot on). As for burning the end, I can honestly say I have not ever heard of doing that and I am not sure I would ever do that (and I am not sure the result you get with a synthetic string will also be true with gut)---and certainly do not use any of the other methods and burning or you will surely have a Wily E. Coyote Moment.

The best solution is make sure you only hand tighten your knots, especially when stringing with natural gut.

zapvor
05-13-2012, 08:36 PM
Zap, that is the machine at work. I still have the star 4 and baiardo at home.

whatttttt! star 4 and baiardo??? way to ruin my day lol

curious-which machine do you prefer

drakulie
05-14-2012, 07:54 PM
^^Absolutely love the star 4. Much faster, but the Baiardo is easier on my body when completing a lot of frames such as in tournaments.

fortun8son
05-14-2012, 11:12 PM
Sigh. Green with envy, though I am enjoying the new Prince 5000 at work.
Much nicer than the worn-out Neos1000.