PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me?

LanEvo
05-06-2012, 08:43 PM
But for knowing how to string, I no longer trust anyone else to string my racquets. Like I live about an hour away from home, 2 hours round trip. And playing today, one of my racquets strings went dead, for that I will take the time to drive home and string it myself, while there is a tennis shop that charges for labor, and with gas and all stringing locally is actually a better deal. Yet, I will not because I am afraid that they would mess up my frame or not do that well of a job.

zapvor
05-06-2012, 09:06 PM
hahaha thats the exact reason i learned how to string. so noone will ever again touch my rackets.

Rysty
05-07-2012, 06:47 AM
+1. 10 homestringers

abeldm
05-07-2012, 06:57 AM
Agreed... hard to trust others to make them "feel" right!

max
05-07-2012, 07:32 AM
I don't think you're crazy. It makes absolute sense.

Irvin
05-07-2012, 07:52 AM
While I have seen some rackets strung poorly I would not just say I don't trust anyone to string my racket. If I had to drive 2 hours to string my racket I would find someone closer.

cknobman
05-07-2012, 08:50 AM
I found a great place to string my racquets and I trust them to do it right.

But I am also "cheap" and realize that by stringing myself I save $10 in labor costs every time I string my own. I also enjoy the ability to make subtle changes in string types and tensions knowing that if I dont like it I can change the string out myself without the time and hassle and wasted costs of taking it somewhere.

nyc
05-07-2012, 09:06 AM
Stringing is the ironing of Tennis.

it's very Zen.

max
05-07-2012, 11:10 AM
OP: I was in a situation like yours; about a 30-minute one-way drive to a racquet club (which farmed them out for homestringing among various members), or a good, 2-hour roundtrip to a knowledgeable experienced stringer, a guy who'd strung my rackets for ten years.

I ended up buying a stringer. The cost savings was nice; for me, all the other hassle was the kicker. THEN I learned of the added benefit of controlling your own string destiny!

Wikky
05-07-2012, 09:53 PM
Never have cared about my stringjobs. I let the freshman in my program string my racquets all the time, I've never noticed a serious difference. When it comes to my racquets I couldn't care less if you triple pulled, but when it comes to customer racquets I won't give it back unless I think its perfect.

struggle
05-07-2012, 10:25 PM
Never have cared about my stringjobs. I let the freshman in my program string my racquets all the time, I've never noticed a serious difference. When it comes to my racquets I couldn't care less if you triple pulled, but when it comes to customer racquets I won't give it back unless I think its perfect.

I'm like this ^^^. For myself, I'm not too particular although
I do enjoy a fresh stringjob and likely do it more than the
non-stringer/players i know. I just don't care all that much
until it gets noticeably "bad".

For others, I tend to be pretty particular and am slightly disappointed
when i don't "match" mutliple rackets ("perfectly", haha), knots on proper
side, etc.

zapvor
05-08-2012, 06:00 PM

lol funny. i am the opposite. i make sure i string others rackets fine, but i take most care with my babies :P

Wikky
05-08-2012, 10:12 PM
I can agree with that if I was playing something serious, but I just don't play enough competitive tennis anymore to blame any of the terrible shots I hit on my stringjobs..... or maybe these freshman really are triple pulling my racquets at 80 pounds.... >.<

zapvor
05-09-2012, 11:21 AM
lol you better check in on those freshmen!

Radicalized
05-09-2012, 11:27 AM
Only myself and maybe (by reputation alone based on posts) a handful of others who post in this stringers' loony bin. No one drives my car or borrows my lawnmower either.

zapvor
05-09-2012, 09:29 PM
why not lawnmower?