PDA

View Full Version : Proper Starting Clamp Method?

4sound
05-07-2012, 10:40 PM
I use the Yasuki method but have seen other methods and want to ask the pro's and con's of this other one.

Yasuki method makes sense as seen in Irvin's vid seen here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKjsIDdXEhU&feature=relmfu

Drakulie does it different seen here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4TpCdIJHeM
-He sets the clamp on the 2nd main string on one side, then pulls tension on the string which pulls it against the grommet. I was taught to always pull tension first then use the starting clamp onto a tensioned string.

Thoughts?

SwankPeRFection
05-07-2012, 11:56 PM
Drak has fixed clamps on that machine. I don't understand why he uses a starting clamp for all that. Pull your two starting mains. Then set one fixed clamp at the opposite side of the strings you just pulled, release tension, then grab just one side of the string you just pulled (the one without the clamp on it) and repull tension. Clamp that one off. Release tension and pull one more main on that side and reclamp. Then go back to the other starting main you had clamped off and pull tension on it again. Release the fixed clamp on it and move it to the other side of the string where so you can clamp the newly pulled tension. Continue from here as normal.

Maybe it's just me, but I find a starting clamp more useful to hold onto strings as you tie knots. lol

uk_skippy
05-08-2012, 01:04 AM
I start the same way as Drak does, as to me it's the easiest and quickest way to start the mains.

Starting this way just replicates what you do when you string the other mains i.e. the (fixed/floating clamp) will be against the frame, you'll pull tension on the next string around the bend of the grommet.

While the starting clamp is close to the frame, I place a piece of scrap leather inbetween the clamp and the frame. The grommets don't get pulled thru when tensioning the string.

There is also a Babolat video where the presenter starts the rqt in the same way, and if they're happy to do it that way then I'm happy to follow.

But, there are numerous way to start a rqt, and as long as the tension is applied so that the tension is applied correctly and consistently then thats fine.

Regard

Paul

GlenK
05-08-2012, 02:47 AM
I use the Yusuki method like Irvin does. But my mch is a bit different and I pull tension under the throat instead of over it.

Irvin
05-08-2012, 03:06 AM
You have to ask yourself why use any method for starting mains. If no starting clamp in used the fixed clamp must be tighter to hold the string from cllipping even slightly. If it does slip you damage the string. When using a starting clamp you first pull tension on two string then clamp the string so there is no change of slipping. When tension is releases there is less than half tension on the string and no very much chance of slippage. When you tension the first main there is back pressure on the fixed clamp and again not much chance of slipping. The starting clamp also keeps the fixed clamp up level with the string bed do the tension head does not have to pull it up and the string is straight in the clamp. Whether you put the starting clamp inside or outside the frame will make very little difference.

bbulla
05-08-2012, 08:53 AM
While I don't use either of these methods for starting the mains, I prefer Irvin's.

In the Drakulie's he is using the starting clamp on the inside of the frame. I don't like to do that as it may damage a grommet. Also he is not setting tension 'inside' the starting clamp before he clamps the string.

Irvin pulls tension, and then uses the starting clamp. I think that way is better.

I prefer YULitle method as shown here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygwsrrrj04Q

drakulie
05-08-2012, 09:16 AM
^^I've never damaged a frame using the method in the video. Also, as for setting the tension inside the starting clamp, why would I need to do this, when I am going to pull that string anyway when I release the starter? Too much overkill.

On another note, I don't like using the center clamps as starters because over time they will begin to grow weak and have more drawback. Additionally, the center clamps have to be tightened enough to hold the first pull, which could end up crushing the string, or if the string slips, damaging it that way. Much safer to use a starting clamp.

mad dog1
05-08-2012, 12:25 PM
i've tried both the yusuki method and the method in drakulie's video. they both work well, but i've settled on the method in drak's video because it's a bit faster for me.

4sound
05-08-2012, 07:33 PM
I'm starting to use Drak method but I don't like pulling directly against the grommet. I found a small hard rubber plumbing grommet I cut a slit into it to use around the string. It provides the clearance around the string grommet.

For some reason I never really liked pulling both strings in the Yasuki method.