PDA

View Full Version : another thought experiment

analysis_king
05-09-2012, 03:50 PM
if djokovic goes on to win the next 10 grandslams in a row, i.e. 2 consecutive calendar year grandslams and 13 GS titles in a row since Wimbledon 2011, tears both ACLs and promptly retires permanently, would the Federer fans here regard him as a greater player than Federer?

assuming Federer stays on 16 GS titles.

TopFH
05-09-2012, 04:21 PM
I would, but there is no way he would do that.

813wilson
05-09-2012, 05:22 PM
Please, leave.

Hood_Man
05-09-2012, 05:35 PM
If he somehow does that but doesn't win many other titles per year then no. My personal criteria is overall dominance. It's not Fed's 16 majors that make him one of the greatest players ever, for me it's the way he absolutely dominated from 2004-2007, and the whole host of records he has accrued over his career.

Sampras's 6 years as year end World #1 (consecutive too!) for instance seems to be very underrated, despite being an incredible achievement. Someone someday will equal it or surpass it, but surely not for a long time.

Then again, if Djokovic did achieve those slam results, it's unlikely he wouldn't achieve a lot more along the way.

Dunno is my answer basically ;)

analysis_king
05-09-2012, 05:49 PM
If he somehow does that but doesn't win many other titles per year then no. My personal criteria is overall dominance. It's not Fed's 16 majors that make him one of the greatest players ever, for me it's the way he absolutely dominated from 2004-2007, and the whole host of records he has accrued over his career.

Sampras's 6 years as year end World #1 (consecutive too!) for instance seems to be very underrated, despite being an incredible achievement. Someone someday will equal it or surpass it, but surely not for a long time.

Then again, if Djokovic did achieve those slam results, it's unlikely he wouldn't achieve a lot more along the way.

Dunno is my answer basically ;)
but if djokovic did that he would have fully dominated the tour from 2011-2014, as long as 04-07 for fed...

analysis_king
05-09-2012, 05:50 PM
I would, but there is no way he would do that.
why not? fed came very close to doing that from 04-07...

rommil
05-09-2012, 05:52 PM
Please, leave.

Awww that's not right to say it like that.

Let's try again.

What if ANALysis_king tore both ACLs and then leave.:)

ledwix
05-09-2012, 05:53 PM
It depends what you value more...absolute dominance over a 3 year period or consistent play at the top of the game for 7-8 years (with 4-5 years of basic dominance). Since he would retire with fewer slams than Federer and probably slightly lesser achievements in general, I would regard Federer as the greater player throughout history still.

813wilson
05-09-2012, 06:00 PM
Awww that's not right to say it like that.

Let's try again.

What if ANALysis_king tore both ACLs and then leave.:)

Rommil,

Sorry. You've qualified this in a way that doesn't help us. If both of the ANALysis King's knees are blown out/up, he'll have more time to write what he did here....

Carpal Tunnel is our last hope....

analysis_king
05-09-2012, 06:05 PM
Rommil,

Sorry. You've qualified this in a way that doesn't help us. If both of the ANALysis King's knees are blown out/up, he'll have more time to write what he did here....

i respect your views and wish you the best. always. i might not share your views, but i mean you no harm, and have never. best regards.

as for the actual thread, i think from hearing the views here, it seems the calendar slam isn't THAT critical anymore. no?

Hood_Man
05-09-2012, 06:05 PM
but if djokovic did that he would have fully dominated the tour from 2011-2014, as long as 04-07 for fed...

No, because you didn't specify if he dominated the entire seasons, your post was about slams (unless thats what ACLs referred to, I don't know what that means).

In just those 4 years Fed won 42 titles, hence the overall dominance. The majors are the most important tournaments but there are still only 4 a year. If it's a choice between someone dominating entire seasons or just 8 aggregated weeks, I'd choose the former.

But like I also said, if Novak was good enough to win that many majors then he'd surely win plenty more elsewhere.

It's still "dunno" for me though, I don't know how I'll feel if/when it happens.

Hood_Man
05-09-2012, 06:07 PM
i respect your views and wish you the best. always. i might not share your views, but i mean you no harm, and have never. best regards.

as for the actual thread, i think from hearing the views here, it seems the calendar slam isn't THAT critical anymore. no?

Oh I think it is, it's just one of many desired achievements for a GOAT candidate :)

analysis_king
05-09-2012, 06:14 PM
No, because you didn't specify if he dominated the entire seasons, your post was about slams (unless thats what ACLs referred to, I don't know what that means).

In just those 4 years Fed won 42 titles, hence the overall dominance. The majors are the most important tournaments but there are still only 4 a year. If it's a choice between someone dominating entire seasons or just 8 aggregated weeks, I'd choose the former.

But like I also said, if Novak was good enough to win that many majors then he'd surely win plenty more elsewhere.

It's still "dunno" for me though, I don't know how I'll feel if/when it happens.
alright, suppose djokovic wins 40 tournaments in these hypothetical 4 years. just for argument's sake. give me your best guess how you would analyze the situation then.

another interesting one to consider is this one: what if nadal goes on to win the next 7 GS and promptly blows both ACLs and retires? he would finish with 17 GS, but has definitely not dominated the tour like Fed did, as he would at best finish with around 150 weeks as no. 1 in the world. but he would have a calendar grand slam, and most masters titles and ridiculous clay court record... how would you analyze this situation?

rommil
05-09-2012, 06:17 PM
Rommil,

My bad. Reading his post I got the impression ANALysis_king typed with his toes:)

Squall Leonheart
05-09-2012, 06:50 PM

ACL stands for Anterior Cruciate Ligament. It's a major ligament in the human knee. An ACL tear is a type of injury. ACL Wikipedia Article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anterior_cruciate_ligament)

jokinla
05-11-2012, 12:39 AM
With a thread like this, I wouldn't even call you an "analysis serf".