PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon adjusting the color, too

Racquet Daddy
05-22-2012, 06:37 PM
Wimbledon's all-white dress code won't be in place for the Olympics. And the traditional dark green backdrop around the courts will be gone, too.

"The look will be the look of the Games. There will be more color. It will be a special Wimbledon," International Tennis Federation president Francesco Ricci Bitti told The Associated Press on Tuesday. "The rule for clothing will be the rule for the Olympics, so there will be much more color in terms of what the players wear, too.

"Some people might not like it, but I think the majority will," Ricci Bitti added. "It will be memorable."

Blue clay...color at Wimby...is nothing sacred in tennis anymore?!

FlashFlare11
05-22-2012, 07:02 PM
Wimbledon's all-white dress code won't be in place for the Olympics. And the traditional dark green backdrop around the courts will be gone, too.

"The look will be the look of the Games. There will be more color. It will be a special Wimbledon," International Tennis Federation president Francesco Ricci Bitti told The Associated Press on Tuesday. "The rule for clothing will be the rule for the Olympics, so there will be much more color in terms of what the players wear, too.

"Some people might not like it, but I think the majority will," Ricci Bitti added. "It will be memorable."

Blue clay...color at Wimby...is nothing sacred in tennis anymore?!

As long as it's not like that for Wimbledon itself, I suppose no one will have a problem with it. I think it's right for them to drop the all-white tradition for the Olympics, symbolizing that it's more than about any individual sport, but about representing your country. Players should be able to wear their nation's colors.

DolgoSantoro
05-22-2012, 08:31 PM
As long as it's not like that for Wimbledon itself, I suppose no one will have a problem with it. I think it's right for them to drop the all-white tradition for the Olympics, symbolizing that it's more than about any individual sport, but about representing your country. Players should be able to wear their nation's colors.
I agree completely

Murrayfan31
05-22-2012, 09:51 PM
They should have purple grass.

SystemicAnomaly
05-22-2012, 10:00 PM
"Sacred" went out the door when wood was replaced by steel, aluminum and then graphite. Optic yellow balls replaced traditional white ones.

Sentinel
05-22-2012, 10:26 PM
As I understand all-white is only being dropped for the OG, not for WO ? Seems some posters think even the WO will have colored clothing.

Blinkism
05-22-2012, 10:46 PM
Yeah, this isn't the Championships at Wimbledon that are changing, just the Olympics. Remember, Wimbledon is just the venue. If it was the exact same as the Championships, that'd be pretty lame. You got to assume players want to wear their respective country's colors and you'll have the Olympic rings all over the boards around the courts (and probably on the ends of the net, too).

This isn't the same as Madrid going to blue clay courts at all.