PDA

View Full Version : Serbia Open is moving to Spain

BobFL
05-22-2012, 08:18 PM
So, according to a well informed sources SO is moving to Spain. This year was a complete disaster - very expensive tickets and top seed was 38th in the World. Pretty much a challenger level event. Negotiations are in process. Goran Djokovic has resigned.

Sentinel
05-22-2012, 09:21 PM
Serbia Open in jeopardy as tournament director resigns and tournament license up for sale in 2013

On the heels of Djokovic’s split with Sergio Tacchini, Serbian fans get bad news that the Serbia Open may be no more starting as early as next year. The Djokovic-family driven Serbia Open, an ATP Tour 250-level tournament in the capital of Belgrade, may soon cease to exist. According to Serbian newspaper Novosti (http://www.novosti.rs/vesti/sport.296.html:380973-Srbija-open-pred-gasenjem), Novak’s uncle and director of the Serbia Open has not only submitted his resignation but also the sale of the tournament license starting in 2013.
The license cites that the dates of the tournament will stay as the first week of May, and as the tournament is currently sandwiched between Monte Carlo and Madrid, that significantly decreases the list of possible buyouts of the rights to the tournament. Several cities are in proposed talks to buy the rights with Spanish cities at the top of the list including Seville, Marbella and even Palma de Mallorca.
After it’s inaugural tournament in 2009 which was won by Djokovic, the tournament stayed mostly relevant as the top Serbs and Croats played, bringing the locals out. 2011 held it’s strongest field ever as the top eight seeds were ranked 37th in the world or better, including three Serbs. However, after the pullout of Djokovic this year due to the passing of his grandfather and the failing of any top Serbs to show up and even play, the tournament experienced a major setback. While the initial weekend of the tournament proved successful as several Serbs played qualifying and two were granted wildcards in the main draw, much of the rest of the tournament lacked luster, fan interest low and international media scarce.
For what is quickly turning into a tennis-loving nation, Serbia may very well be without any tour-level tournament again next year. The inevitable is here and the Serbia Open may soon cease to exist.

http://www.tennisgrandstand.com/archives/13751

Murrayfan31
05-22-2012, 10:50 PM
Sorry to hear that.

Sentinel
05-22-2012, 11:08 PM
I hope Tiriac buys it

Colin
05-23-2012, 01:29 AM
I hope Tiriac buys it

It would be great to have a warm-up tourney on blue clay. :)

ViscaB
05-23-2012, 01:33 AM
They need to move the Madrid masters to another place as well. It makes no sense to suddenly play on altitude in the middle of the clay season.

Satch
05-23-2012, 01:38 AM
So, according to a well informed sources SO is moving to Spain. This year was a complete disaster - very expensive tickets and top seed was 38th in the World. Pretty much a challenger level event. Negotiations are in process. Goran Djokovic has resigned.

You posted it here first :)

Ticket was not expensive at all. For all the events before the semifinals (including 1/4 final) ticket was like <2 euros.

Still no one wanted to go to watch tennis because NOle wasnt playing.. because Tipsa wasnt playing.

You know what, Serbian people dont deserve event like that. Let be honest. Tennis in Serbia isnt popular sport, its Novak that makes it interesting. Its really a shame.

BTW i saw this coming, and i was sure that event is going to shut down, talking about it in couple of threads.

sdont
05-23-2012, 02:11 AM
Good move from the Serbian mafia. Now they just need to ensure Palma de Mallorca gets the license...

Imagine that, Nadal playing for 5 consecutive weeks on clay just before RG :twisted:

iriraz
05-23-2012, 02:20 AM
Good move from the Serbian mafia. Now they just need to ensure Palma de Mallorca gets the license...

Imagine that, Nadal playing for 5 consecutive weeks on clay just before RG :twisted:

It will never happen.He would skip Madrid and Barcelona isn`t a sure thing either.

Serbian Open was never going to work in the long run.Expecting Djokovic to play year after year was mission impossible,when there are so many Masters Events in between.
If this tournament was indoors in autumn then there was a bigger chance to see Djokovic and other Serbian players playing it.

cknobman
05-23-2012, 07:12 AM
I hope Tiriac buys it

It would be great to have a warm-up tourney on blue clay. :)

LOL this actually seems somewhat possible especially if Tiriac is determined to keep Madrid blue.

TheF1Bob
05-23-2012, 07:23 AM
Oh great... another spanish tornament. F****** hate clay.

dr325i
05-23-2012, 07:25 AM

Well, now they have you moving back to BGD, they don't need the stinkin' ATP250

PaulFCB
05-23-2012, 07:27 AM
Belgrade didn't survive because it would've survived only with Novak playing and he couldn't afford to waste an extra week when there is a load of 1000 and a 500 before RG.

He can come to Bucharest as it's close to Belgrade and I'm sure he will end up getting as much support as in Belgrade from us Romanian's, especially since he had a Romanian room mate from who he learned to perfectly sing a song from the 2000's even though languages have hardly anything in common :lol:.

dr325i
05-23-2012, 07:29 AM
Belgrade didn't survive because it would've survived only with Novak playing and he couldn't afford to waste an extra week when there is a load of 1000 and a 500 before RG.

He can come to Bucharest as it's close to Belgrade and I'm sure he will end up getting as much support as in Belgrade from us Romanian's, especially since he had a Romanian room mate from who he learned to perfectly sing a song from the 2000's even though languages have hardly anything in common :lol:.

I say Prague should get it...
They have a nice venue.

jwbarrientos
05-23-2012, 07:33 AM
Tiriac... black clay only night matches.

PaulFCB
05-23-2012, 07:36 AM
Yeah, they should keep it in ex-Eastern Bloc countries.
Bucharest is the only one who has a tournament starting from the 90's in this region for the ATP and it's been hardly kept alive by the ambition of people like Tiriac ( who was not the initial owner of the tournament ).
I can say that I had a great time this year going there at the evening game all week + all day from Friday to the final on Sunday despite sitting under a 30 degrees burning sun, the arena was full at the final and very occupied during the other days, especially since Tecau won the Doubles so he played almost every day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFUpxwPfNDI

svijk
05-23-2012, 07:43 AM
whats up with Djoko and Sergio Tacchini.....is he signing with Nike?

Satch
05-23-2012, 08:25 AM
whats up with Djoko and Sergio Tacchini.....is he signing with Nike?

wrong thread..

BTW It turns out to be false news (at least officially)

http://sport.blic.rs/Tenis/215024/Family-sport-Serbia-open-nije-na-prodaju (Serbian article)

BobFL
05-23-2012, 10:16 AM
wrong thread..

BTW It turns out to be false news (at least officially)

http://sport.blic.rs/Tenis/215024/Family-sport-Serbia-open-nije-na-prodaju (Serbian article)

And I think they are doing some "pump&dump". However, I hope it stays in Serbia but it is highly unlikely. The tourney was getting worse every year players wise :( The resignation is a positive sign tho. Professional and non-Djokovic management is a must if they want it to survive let alone become 500.

Satch
05-23-2012, 10:46 AM
And I think they are doing some "pump&dump". However, I hope it stays in Serbia but it is highly unlikely. The tourney was getting worse every year players wise :( The resignation is a positive sign tho. Professional and non-Djokovic management is a must if they want it to survive let alone become 500.

I think that the place where the event is being held is inappropriate. They need to build some new big tennis complex in the newer part of the city, that should help for more crowd.

Maybe the new management is a must.. someone who has the money to invest in some big players.

stormholloway
05-23-2012, 08:36 PM
They need to move the Madrid masters to another place as well. It makes no sense to suddenly play on altitude in the middle of the clay season.

The point of playing tennis at that altitude is to win the Madrid masters.

kishnabe
05-23-2012, 08:43 PM
They should move the event to Rio!

r2473
05-23-2012, 08:51 PM
They should move the event to Rio!

Bull*****!!

The event needs to move to Nebraska. Ever played on corn?

kishnabe
05-23-2012, 08:55 PM
Bull*****!!

The event needs to move to Nebraska. Ever played on corn?

Roddick won twice on Corn anyways......not real clay like Madrid.

Marius_Hancu
05-23-2012, 11:10 PM
I hope Tiriac buys it

Tiriac will not touch something touched by Djoko now, esp something with a bad name lately

Djoko leaves a company who took him to the top, now his tournament
this can get him quite a bad business name

Bartelby
05-23-2012, 11:20 PM
There's an article at tennis.com about how ST got more business than they ever could have expected, but then couldn't pay Djoko out on his contract because they couldn't supply the merchandise to be sold in order to generate the income.

Lesson - don't go with the highest bid if they are not likely to deliver.

joeri888
05-24-2012, 12:44 AM
Get some carpet tournament anywhere. Wood would be good too.

Satch
05-24-2012, 01:54 AM
Tiriac will not touch something touched by Djoko now, esp something with a bad name lately

Djoko leaves a company who took him to the top, now his tournament
this can get him quite a bad business name

Djokovic took himself to the top, cant see what ST has to do with that, except that they didnt had enough of money to follow the contract.

And he is not leaving the tournament. Its his uncle that resigned.