PDA

View Full Version : Nadal is the Steve Prefontaine of Tennis . . .

winstonplum
05-22-2012, 10:26 PM
as his most recent win over Djokovic proved again. The forehand down the line wasn't working, so he went back to ccfh at all costs and defending. Beautiful, grueling, defensive guts.

"It is a virtue that I've always had: I like to suffer, I have learned to enjoy suffering, and I believe that is what helps me." --Nadal

"I can endure more pain than anyone youíve ever met. Thatís why I can beat anyone Iíve ever met. You donít believe me?" --Prefontaine

Discuss their respective genius and god-like status.

stringertom
05-22-2012, 11:03 PM
as his most recent win over Djokovic proved again. The forehand down the line wasn't working, so he went back to ccfh at all costs and defending. Beautiful, grueling, defensive guts.

"It is a virtue that I've always had: I like the fans to suffer, I have learned to enjoy their suffering, and I believe that is what helps me." --Nadal

"I can endure more pain than anyone youíve ever met. Thatís why I can beat anyone Iíve ever met. You donít believe me?" --Prefontaine

Discuss their respective genius and god-like status.

Fixed that one for you!

Magnus
05-22-2012, 11:11 PM
Nadal likes the fans to suffer, yes, but also the rules, the umpire, the linesmen, the opponent, everyone.

ViscaB
05-23-2012, 12:07 AM
Nadal likes the fans to suffer, yes, but also the rules, the umpire, the linesmen, the opponent, everyone.

I think you like to suffer as much as Prefontaine. That's why you started hating Nadal:).

Magnus
05-23-2012, 12:27 AM
I think you like to suffer as much as Prefontaine. That's why you started hating Nadal:).

Actually my life's pretty good, which is why I have the time to watch tennis, play tennis, and notice the truth, something your are either incapable of or don't want to.

marc45
05-23-2012, 01:28 AM
actually my life is better than yours in every way posible which gives me the time, inclination, and sheer enjoyment to psychoanalyse the sickness that nadal-haters have developed over time..it's really kicking in again now...a pure feast for the eyes and ears

nadal_slam_king
05-23-2012, 02:18 AM

No suffering here. Very happy for the victory.

Magnus
05-23-2012, 02:25 AM
actually my life is better than yours in every way posible which gives me the time, inclination, and sheer enjoyment to psychoanalyse the sickness that nadal-haters have developed over time..it's really kicking in again now...a pure feast for the eye and ears

Nadal haters are the only sane and healthy people around here.

DjokerRules
05-23-2012, 05:29 AM
OP has cursed Nadal.

OTMPut
05-23-2012, 05:39 AM
No suffering here. Very happy for the victory.

i think he probably meant the fans of the game.

winstonplum
05-23-2012, 08:18 AM

Gunter. . . er, Magnus, step away from the laptop. Nadal is ruining your life. You need to get out of the house more. Your posts are frightening the children. You're monolithic, weird, totally irrational hatred of Nadal really needs to be addressed. Have you considered counseling? :confused:

winstonplum
05-23-2012, 08:19 AM
Nadal haters are the only sane and healthy people around here.

Wow. Unlike, Gunter, there will be a long, long paper trail when they start the discovery part of the trial.

winstonplum
05-23-2012, 08:21 AM
http://i.imgur.com/u32TL.gif

Clever chap ! :D

"Pre" did not win an Oly medal if i remember. Not much aware of his life other than he died in an accident. I did see that movie on telly, or parts of it. He was coached by Bill Dellinger quite a big name in those days. I think Dellinger coached Alberto Salazar (not sure though).

Salazar sort of vanished after '84 but i now learn that he's become a very successful coach and is coaching Galen Rupp and Mo Farah who are medal prospects at the London Oly.

My 2c.

You're right. In his one Olympic final, he finished fourth. However, Bill Bowerman was his coach (University of Oregon legendary track coach and inventor of the original Nike waffle-soled shoe).

Sentinel
05-23-2012, 09:51 AM
^ Thanks for the correction. Bowerman. I remember the waffle trainer and the ads/article that came out with it. About being actually inspired by a waffle making iron.

But Dellinger was also a coach right ?
p.s I just checked wikipedia and it gives Dellinger as Salazar's coach.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Dellinger

Gorecki
05-23-2012, 10:58 AM
Just Like Chuck Norris is the Sunny Deol of Movies....

10is
05-23-2012, 02:00 PM

Who's Sunny Deol?

EDIT: Ok... she he's an Indian actor. Still don't get the similie though. :/

kragster
05-23-2012, 02:03 PM

Sunny Deol is the son of God. Chuck Norris isn't quite there. He is actually the Bobby Deol of movies, Sunny's younger brother. Or he is the Djorde Djokovic of tennis.

You can see some of Bobby's amazing dance moves here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEJpLKac_1g

stringertom
05-23-2012, 02:11 PM
^ Thanks for the correction. Bowerman. I remember the waffle trainer and the ads/article that came out with it. About being actually inspired by a waffle making iron.

But Dellinger was also a coach right ?
p.s I just checked wikipedia and it gives Dellinger as Salazar's coach.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Dellinger

Not just "inspired" by the waffle iron, he used his kitchen utensil to make the prototype soles...Phil Knight (another Bowermann protege @ U of Oregon) sold them out of his car trunk at track meets and the rest is Swoosh history!

r2473
05-23-2012, 02:16 PM
Not really. Nadal can beat Europeans at his sport, unlike Pre.

Anyway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NipAXdBtaDs

To love is to suffer.
To avoid suffering, one must not love.
But then one suffers from not loving.
Therefore, to love is to suffer.
Not to love is to suffer.
To suffer is to suffer.
To be happy is to love.
To be happy, then, is to suffer, but suffering makes one unhappy.
Therefore, to be unhappy one must love,
or love to suffer,|or suffer from too much happiness...
I hope you're getting this down.

Fed Kennedy
05-23-2012, 02:21 PM
Nadal is the Barry Bonds of tennis. Hes good, wears orange and everyone hates him.

mcenroefan
05-23-2012, 06:28 PM
I've always thought Nadal's greatest weapons were his stamina and his relentless adherence to a particular gameplan. Stamina is a huge part of Nadal's overall game....he plays for the over 10 shot rallies.

Sentinel
05-23-2012, 07:23 PM
Who's Sunny Deol?

See. they banned a user for not knowing who Sunny Deol is. Guys, you'd better brush up on the Deol family pronto.

dudeski
05-23-2012, 07:28 PM
Who's Sunny Deol?

Sunny is one ugly looking dude!

dudeski
05-23-2012, 07:30 PM
Nadal is just a demon that is hopefully about to have his precious water bottles filled with holy water.

stringertom
05-23-2012, 09:09 PM
Nadal is the Barry Bonds of tennis. Hes good, wears orange and everyone hates him.

FK, you forgot the most important common bond.

Gorecki
05-24-2012, 03:13 AM
See. they banned a user for not knowing who Sunny Deol is. Guys, you'd better brush up on the Deol family pronto.

knowing Sunny "The Sun" Deol can help you last longer.

Sentinel
05-24-2012, 03:18 AM
Sunny is one ugly looking dude!
That's why we call Nadal the Sunny Deol of tennis, or Sunny the Nadal of Bollywood.:)

Magnus
05-24-2012, 03:29 AM
Gunter. . . er, Magnus, step away from the laptop. Nadal is ruining your life. You need to get out of the house more. Your posts are frightening the children. You're monolithic, weird, totally irrational hatred of Nadal really needs to be addressed. Have you considered counseling? :confused:

Oh you are so clever. One of these "mature" posts that sound cool to anyone who reads them. You're the man, deffo. I'll try to respond seriously, though with a post so above me like yours, its hard. I do go out of the house, and as you can see by my relatively small amount of posts (compared to other tennis fans around here), I don't post here a lot. When I do decide to post, its when I have something to say. Sadly, with Nadal, I have a lot to say (wish that wouldn't be the case). I find it funny that instead of addressing the points I make about why I hate Nadal, you go on to say the hate is irrational and weird. For some reason, I have yet to find a Nadal fan to actually have a good solid argument as to why I'm wrong about Nadal. Apparently you all know I'm right, and try to convince yourselves otherwise with bashing my posts claiming them to be childish and psychotic. As for my view on YOUR posts:

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/41799_113381215338840_7491_n.jpg

namelessone
05-24-2012, 04:45 AM
Oh you are so clever. One of these "mature" posts that sound cool to anyone who reads them. You're the man, deffo. I'll try to respond seriously, though with a post so above me like yours, its hard. I do go out of the house, and as you can see by my relatively small amount of posts (compared to other tennis fans around here), I don't post here a lot. When I do decide to post, its when I have something to say. Sadly, with Nadal, I have a lot to say (wish that wouldn't be the case). I find it funny that instead of addressing the points I make about why I hate Nadal, you go on to say the hate is irrational and weird. For some reason, I have yet to find a Nadal fan to actually have a good solid argument as to why I'm wrong about Nadal. Apparently you all know I'm right, and try to convince yourselves otherwise with bashing my posts claiming them to be childish and psychotic. As for my view on YOUR posts:

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/41799_113381215338840_7491_n.jpg

Ok, let me ask you then: why does the majority of the tennis establishment and most tennis fans(even those that hate his game) have a mostly positive view of Nadal? Why can't they see what you see? No one is saying that Nadal is the humble/angel-like being that some Nadal fans make him out to be but he isn't the Satan of tennis world. Journos have written about his foolish 2 year request, about his time-wasting and so on but no one is constantly foaming at the mouth about it like some characters around here.

Gorecki
05-24-2012, 05:07 AM
foaming is gud.

http://www.stonecarver.com/news/it/cappuccino.jpg

Magnus
05-24-2012, 06:18 AM
Ok, let me ask you then: why does the majority of the tennis establishment and most tennis fans(even those that hate his game) have a mostly positive view of Nadal? Why can't they see what you see? No one is saying that Nadal is the humble/angel-like being that some Nadal fans make him out to be but he isn't the Satan of tennis world. Journos have written about his foolish 2 year request, about his time-wasting and so on but no one is constantly foaming at the mouth about it like some characters around here.

First, at least that's a post trying to create a discussion and not the typical "U NEED TEH MENTAL HELP" type of posts. Kudos for that.

First, I disagree with you that most tennis fans view Nadal as a positive figure. True, I may hate him a bit more than the average tennis fan, but lately I've started to notice people are finally starting to question Nadal. It took them a while, but its happening. Commentators are now fully aware that Nadal, while a great player, has some odd habbits combined with time wasting. When Nadal used to get time warnings in the past, commentators would stay quiet. These days they comment on it, justifying the warning and sometimes making a discussion about it. I think Wimbly 2010 3rd round was the first time I heard commentators actually questioning Nadal's motives. Many other tennis fans has started noticing that too, and in this forum quite a few people other than myself have notcied that too.

Obviously Nadal has a lot of fans, and is one of the most popular players of all time. Many of these fans do not watch nor know anything about tennis. I can name at least 10 people I know who NEVER watch tennis other than a Wimbledon final here and there and cheer for Nadal because they like the cool, VAMOS warrior in him, while, say, someone like Federer appears colder, more proffesional, but tougher to relate to. Nadal is also well known from his associations with Chakira and Bar Rafaeli. Little girls watch Nadal's muscles at home and he becomes their star in seconds (like Ronaldo is, for example, only he is much bigger than any tennis player).

Of course, people who watch tennis, know tennis, and love tennis, know there's something wrong there. They know Nadal wastes time, they know he gets on court coaching, and personally, when I see him get all those warnings and not do a darn thing to improve it, it shows how little respect he has for the game, the fans, the opponent, the officials. Of course, Nadal also has a huge resume as far as MTOs go, after some of them he "suddenly" became healthy, ran like a rabbit, and finished his opponent. We've all seen it happen time and time again. How about the toilet break he took on MP versus Roger, when he KNOWS its not allowed at that point. Or the coaching he ADMITTED to be taking, or retiring when things didn't go his way. Too many question marks for me to doubt it - Nadal is a tennis criminal.

Now, other player do what I've written above as well (albeit not as bad as Nadal), but none of them is a top player. None of them set the example for the future of tennis like Nadal does. I don't think Nadal likes tennis to tell the truth, I do not think he has any respect for tennis fans, nor his OWN fans, and not to his fellow players.

winstonplum
05-24-2012, 09:42 PM
Okay, I can be as serious as the next guy. Your third paragraph is absolute nonsensical rubbish, so there's nothing there that need even be addressed. Your second paragraph is fair enough. Yeah, he does go over the "official" time limit from the end of the point to the next serve, which is what, 20 seconds, 25? But I've got news for you, the ATP, the sponsors, the "top brass"--no one cares!!! Only dweebs like us care (and I write "us" because whenever the spirit moves me, I rattle off a couple of posts decrying the sickness that is grunting by Vika, Masha, and Serena) And then I realize NO ONE CARES. Yeah, the sports page of whatever city they are playing in makes puns on their screaming, Mary Carillo and Chris Evert wring their hands about it, but nothing ever changes. Their opponents obviously don't care that much about it, or they would politely yet firmly make it an issue.

Same thing with the taking too much time between serves. Pat McEnroe mentions it now and then, the producers throw up a graphic every now and then--31 seconds before serve, etc., and then what? Nothing. Wake me up when numerous other players politely yet firmly take Nadal to task for this. And the whole point about time wasting is largely moot at this moment, as the greatest rivalry in the sport, Nadal and Djokovic, has BOTH its players wasting time. You can't take Nadal to task for this without feeling the same way about Djokovic.

And really, finally, this rule just doesn't mean anything anymore. When was it made? By the ITF or its equivalent in the 1920s? The 19th century? Players are now some of the greatest athletes in the world, repeatedly having incomprehensibly physical, gut-busting rallies or 30+ shots with racquets made out of space-age materials. Any Nadal/Djokovic rally from the last AO would have left Bill Tilden or Pacho Gonzalez or even Connors or JMac on the ground begging for mercy. You know what the 25-second rule reminds me of? The rule in baseball that says you have to be standing in the batter's box when preparing to hit the ball; and what is the first thing the first batter of the game usually does when he walks up to plate? Rubs his cleats over and over the back line of the batter's box, essentially "destroying" the batter's box and making that "rule" also moot.

Your fifth paragraph--rubbish.

Your fourth paragraph: Rafa is like every other player, male and female, on the tour, i.e. they look at their boxes . . . a lot. The biggest exception. You guessed it, Federer. That's pretty cool that he never, ever looks at his box. I agree. He's much more self-contained than just about any other player out there. But unfortunately, your paragraph goes down the toilet with your reference to, I'm assuming, IW of this year. Nadal took a toilet break on match point because, wait for it . . . the frickin' match had been halted due to the rain[B] Did you miss that part? The part where those weird things called raindrops started falling on the court and the umpire called the players over and told them that the action needed to be halted? Did you miss the commentators exasperatingly commenting, "Oh, what a shame. The rain comes on match point." Check your rulebook. [B]You're allowed to go and take a leak when weather halts the match

analysis_king
05-30-2012, 02:58 AM
First, at least that's a post trying to create a discussion and not the typical "U NEED TEH MENTAL HELP" type of posts. Kudos for that.

First, I disagree with you that most tennis fans view Nadal as a positive figure. True, I may hate him a bit more than the average tennis fan, but lately I've started to notice people are finally starting to question Nadal. It took them a while, but its happening. Commentators are now fully aware that Nadal, while a great player, has some odd habbits combined with time wasting. When Nadal used to get time warnings in the past, commentators would stay quiet. These days they comment on it, justifying the warning and sometimes making a discussion about it. I think Wimbly 2010 3rd round was the first time I heard commentators actually questioning Nadal's motives. Many other tennis fans has started noticing that too, and in this forum quite a few people other than myself have notcied that too.

Obviously Nadal has a lot of fans, and is one of the most popular players of all time. Many of these fans do not watch nor know anything about tennis. I can name at least 10 people I know who NEVER watch tennis other than a Wimbledon final here and there and cheer for Nadal because they like the cool, VAMOS warrior in him, while, say, someone like Federer appears colder, more proffesional, but tougher to relate to. Nadal is also well known from his associations with Chakira and Bar Rafaeli. Little girls watch Nadal's muscles at home and he becomes their star in seconds (like Ronaldo is, for example, only he is much bigger than any tennis player).

Of course, people who watch tennis, know tennis, and love tennis, know there's something wrong there. They know Nadal wastes time, they know he gets on court coaching, and personally, when I see him get all those warnings and not do a darn thing to improve it, it shows how little respect he has for the game, the fans, the opponent, the officials. Of course, Nadal also has a huge resume as far as MTOs go, after some of them he "suddenly" became healthy, ran like a rabbit, and finished his opponent. We've all seen it happen time and time again. How about the toilet break he took on MP versus Roger, when he KNOWS its not allowed at that point. Or the coaching he ADMITTED to be taking, or retiring when things didn't go his way. Too many question marks for me to doubt it - Nadal is a tennis criminal.

Now, other player do what I've written above as well (albeit not as bad as Nadal), but none of them is a top player. None of them set the example for the future of tennis like Nadal does. I don't think Nadal likes tennis to tell the truth, I do not think he has any respect for tennis fans, nor his OWN fans, and not to his fellow players.
the amazing thing is that you think the fellow players on tour, the likes of djokovic and your beloved federer, and the entire professional tennis establishment, are clueless. if indeed nadal is who you characterize him to be, don't you think he would be pariahed? think about the likes of jimmy connors, johnny mcenroe or even serena williams? why isn't there any hesitation in tossing them out or even outright banning them, when they are found to bring the game into disrepute? are they not big stars themselves?

yet nadal consistently gets nothing but the highest praise from his fellow professionals. for example, federer's respect for him is incredible as you yourself know it. federer is the consummate professional -- do you think he does not know what is considered good or bad behavior? the same goes for djokovic who has similar respect for nadal. do you need me to drag up all the articles where professionals have cited their respect for him?

you claim nadal with his time wasting, on court coaching etc is a tennis criminal. you know what, i am perfectly tolerant of that. if i have children i still rather they watch nadal and learn from his humility and gentlemanly behavior with which he carries himself always. i rather they become good moral human beings, than some self-styled hateful armchair commentators who are upset because of some self derived "injustices".

6-2/6-4/6-0
05-30-2012, 09:51 AM
Nadal=Pre? Not a $%^KIN' chance.

Pre never whined. Ever. Sure he had other flaws, but when he lost he took it all on himself. It's not to say that he didn't take on the corrupt T&F system or say what he felt about the inequality of european vs. american athlete support, but he didn't make excuses...