PDA

View Full Version : TennisChannel's news ticker

Rob_C
05-24-2012, 04:40 PM
The TennisChannel needs a new proof reader for their ticker. I've seen numerous mistakes, misspelled words, etc, but today, they said the US beat China in Dusseldorf, then it said Harrison beat Tatsuma Ito & Roddick lost to Soeda.

How hard is it to look up results on the internet??

GRANITECHIEF
05-24-2012, 04:48 PM
I think they need an option to turn the thing off, its annoying in addition to being inaccurate.

skip1969
05-24-2012, 05:00 PM
i think it's so ******** and unnecessary. plus, it's too damned big.

i got no problem with the espn bottom line, cos they are updating a bunch of sports at once. even there it is sometimes annoying. (but it's smaller, i think.)

in truth, there's rarely that much going on in the tennis world to warrant a ticker running constantly on the tennis channel. i can see having it during the slams, where there are a ton of matches being played simultaneously . . . but that's pretty much it.

boramiNYC
05-24-2012, 07:02 PM
Yes it's horrible. I don't mind updates and misspells are unprofessional and annoying. But, what gets me is sometimes it blocks freaking score! It makes game unwatchable. And also it blocks some info like how fast a forehand was etc. Nobody tells TC about these things? Ridiculous.:-?

r2473
05-24-2012, 07:17 PM
I have to cover it up. It is so annoying.

hcb0804
05-24-2012, 08:01 PM
The other day I saw "German Tomas Berdych....."
They really must have ******s running that thing.
Get it right or take it off!!

jokinla
05-24-2012, 08:42 PM
The TennisChannel needs a new proof reader for their ticker. I've seen numerous mistakes, misspelled words, etc, but today, they said the US beat China in Dusseldorf, then it said Harrison beat Tatsuma Ito & Roddick lost to Soeda.

How hard is it to look up results on the internet??

Last week they had DY actually winning a match, I called Directv immediately and complained.

gtshark1
05-24-2012, 08:45 PM
Last week they had DY actually winning a match, I called Directv immediately and complained.

Now that's funny!

813wilson
05-24-2012, 09:07 PM
I've said before - get rid of the scroll. Two reasons:

1) between that(biggest), the score, and the "Tennis Channel" upper right logo, they cover more than 17% of the screen.

2) when graphics are shown, the scroll hides the detail becasue the scroll is too large.

Two other comments:

1) ESPN has stopped their scroll during some tennis and it is WONDERFUL to have a full screen.....

2) I don't need to read the "buzz" every 4 minutes during a match. TC should fade the scroll - in each service game, start it full strength and let it fade out within a given time period - 90 seconds would be just over/under three points. Next game same thing with a different topic and so on.....

Rob_C
05-24-2012, 10:27 PM

Well played, sir, well played. Must admit, I got a chuckle out of that.

BreakPoint
05-24-2012, 10:48 PM
The worst is the ticker giving away the results and the final score of the match you're currently or will be watching later on replay. :mad:

Great way to insure that you lose viewers and lower your ratings because why bother watching if you already know the final score and result? :???:

It's not like people who really want to know the results of a match that has already been played can't easily look it up on the Internet. :???:

r5d3
05-24-2012, 10:57 PM
I remember when ESPN simply did an update at 28 and 58 minutes of every hour, that was nice.

The TC ticker is atrocious. Too big, and there's only so much tennis news in the world. Only takes about three minutes to get back to reading things you've already read.

cknobman
05-25-2012, 08:11 AM
It really is the worst ticket ever not only is it annoying and I wish it would go away but they dont even put it at the bottom of the screen!!!!!!

There is a gray bar of unused space underneath it making the ticker sit that much higher on screen and block that much more of actual viewing area!

The moron that came up with this should be fired.

TheTruth
05-25-2012, 06:48 PM
I've said before - get rid of the scroll. Two reasons:

1) between that(biggest), the score, and the "Tennis Channel" upper right logo, they cover more than 17% of the screen.

2) when graphics are shown, the scroll hides the detail becasue the scroll is too large.

Two other comments:

1) ESPN has stopped their scroll during some tennis and it is WONDERFUL to have a full screen.....

2) I don't need to read the "buzz" every 4 minutes during a match. TC should fade the scroll - in each service game, start it full strength and let it fade out within a given time period - 90 seconds would be just over/under three points. Next game same thing with a different topic and so on.....

All of this, and one other I might add. Sometimes the scheduling is off. It may say a match airs at 2:00 and you set your DVR only to discover sometimes, that it's in the middle or end of match. You can't always trust their programming guide.

I recorded the Rome tournament and it's listed under the BCR Romania, Final from Bucharest.

BreakPoint
05-25-2012, 07:55 PM
It really is the worst ticket ever not only is it annoying and I wish it would go away but they dont even put it at the bottom of the screen!!!!!!

There is a gray bar of unused space underneath it making the ticker sit that much higher on screen and block that much more of actual viewing area!

The moron that came up with this should be fired.
Yup, and that sometimes blocks the score graphic at the bottom left of the screen so you can't even see what the score is while you're watching the match! :mad:

sillymonkey
05-25-2012, 08:57 PM
I think they need an option to turn the thing off, its annoying in addition to being inaccurate.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

cknobman
05-29-2012, 08:10 AM
I sent an email to "viewerresponse@tennischannel.com" to voice my opinion on the subject. If enough people complain maybe just maybe we can get that thing improved or removed.

Here is what I sent in:

I am writing in regards to the awful “News ticker” you have incorporated onto your broadcasts.

It is very annoying and takes up way too much of the screen during tennis matches. It has become so bad that I actually don’t want to watch tennis on your channel anymore. ESPN used to have this problem but they are at least turning the ticker off for some tennis now.

Here are the problems with it:
• Sits to high on screen. There is actually a gray bar of unused screen underneath the ticker. The ticker sits way too high on screen and actually covers up things like the score or even the player on the lower half of the screen sometimes.
• IT NEVER TURNS OFF. Why does this have to be on screen 100% of the time during tennis matches? Can it not just show the “news” and then disappear for a while and then maybe reappear ever hour or two?
• It repeats the same information over and over. There is only so much “news” that can be displayed about tennis. Usually the ticker just repeats the same amount of limited score lines and data repetitively over and over again. This goes back to my previous point of it needing to disappear after it has looped through the “news” once. Then maybe after an hour or two it could loop through the “news” again and then disappear.
• On match “replays” it actually displays spoiler results!!! I was watching a replay of a match I had missed when I saw the ticker below give the match results of the match I was watching!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please review the “news ticker” you have implemented. It is negatively impacting the viewing experience. You don’t have to get rid of it completely but at least reevaluate how you are using it to be less intrusive and more efficient.

Here is a link to the tennis forums where this exact topic is being discussed http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=425330

There are more upset people than myself and I think you are going to eventually loose viewership if nothing is done about it. There are many many more ways to view tennis matches (especially over the internet) and I had to upgrade my entire satellite package just to get your channel. I could save myself a considerable amount of money cancelling the package I pay for because the only reason I have it is to watch tennis on your channel.

Thank you,

gramdacious
05-29-2012, 01:18 PM
That ticker is super annoying, I agree completely

skip1969
05-29-2012, 01:32 PM
the other day, i saw the word "defeatings" on the ticker. i kid you not.