PDA

View Full Version : Do you subscribe to Tennis Channel?

Defcon
05-25-2012, 12:40 PM
I just signed up with Comcast, debating whether I should add Tennis Channel. As I remember in the slams most of the big matches are going to be shown live on ESPN2, and there's always espn360.com to watch online, so is it worth it?

MichaelNadal
05-25-2012, 12:44 PM
I have it and it is definitely worth it, especially if you have access to tennis channel HD.

r2473
05-25-2012, 12:45 PM
It's the only place to watch non-slam tournaments for the most part, unless you don't mind watching on-line.

The thing I hate about ESPN2, NBC, etc is that they ONLY show "big" matches during slams.

CourtlyLove
05-25-2012, 12:53 PM
Well, here's what you have on ESPN2 and ESPN3 (this is speaking about men's tennis, I don't know much about WTA, though I know some of that is on ESPN3 too)

On ESPN2 you'll have awesome coverage of Wimbledon (which is exclusive to ESPN starting this year) and the US Open (TC coverage runs at the same time on different courts). The AO coverage on ESPN2 is pretty decent as well, though the first couple of hours of play each night will be on TC--then ESPN2 takes over throughout the night. For Roland Garros ESPN2 has 5am-10am ET.

ESPN2 also has coverage of the North American Masters: Indian Wells, Miami, Canada, Cincy. These are typically from the round of 16 or quarterfinals on through the final, which is sometimes on ABC or CBS.

ESPN2 also has coverage of some QFs, SFs and all of the finals of the US Open Series (including 1000s, 500s and 250s), which is nice.

ESPN2 has the WTF final live, and I believe they'll start carrying some of the other matches as well starting this year.

ESPN3 has all the Masters 1000s and 500s. They'll also have multiple courts for all of the majors, even during timeslots when the TV coverage is on TC instead of ESPN2. They have all of the WTF matches, as well as carrying everything that ESPN2 covers during the USO series and etc.

So between NBC, CBS, ESPN2 and ESPN3 you have access to a lot.
What will you be missing without TC?

Davis Cup (you can pay to stream this online on a daily, weekly, or yearly basis)
Fed Cup
Random 250s throughout the season, though stupidly TC shows a lot of these tape-delayed rather than live.

So that's your situation. It's up to you. I have TC on DirecTV right now and it's nice, but I'm moving to another state and won't have TC. I dont' think I'll miss it too much. Are there any other channels in the Comcast sports pack that you're interested in? That would probably be the decider for me. Wouldn't pay $10-15 if the only thing I'd be watching of that would be TC.

r2473
05-25-2012, 01:32 PM
Want to watch Brian "GOAT" Baker win in Nice?

Better have The Tennis Channel.

woodrow1029
05-25-2012, 01:37 PM
Yeah, ESPN coverage is great if you want to watch replays of Roddick or Serena matches, or countless hours of watching Chris Fowler and Brad Gilbert mutter useless crap in the booth while there is actually live tennis going on.

NBC is great if you want to have a two hour window of matches 8 hours after the matches have already finished.

woodrow1029
05-25-2012, 01:37 PM
During the Slams, it's best if you have DirecTV.

ESPN3 is great also.

Colin
05-25-2012, 02:20 PM
If you're a big tennis fan, get the Tennis Channel. That's the only way you can see a lot of the masters and secondary tournaments without resorting to an Internet feed (oh, how I don't miss those Internet feeds). You get more of the slams, too. Just a lot of live tennis, plus recent matches you might have missed, classic matches, countdown shows and other features you'll probably spend too much time watching.

The best way to sort through it all is DVR it and then you can fast-forward through a large swath of matches to make your own highlights with your favorite players.

ollinger
05-25-2012, 02:21 PM
I've had it for a few years and enjoy it. Like any other marginal expense, if it's a stretch, forget it. If the money's not a big deal and you enjoy tennis, why not.

Defcon
05-25-2012, 02:28 PM
I just don't have time anymore to watch anything other than Slams, and of course Comcast makes you get it as a package (~$9) and I don't need any other sports they bundle in it. So I keep thinking for the same money I could get any number of other subscriptions like Hulu+/Netflix etc.

But I will probably end up getting it.

bulldawg
05-25-2012, 02:35 PM
Have it with my Direct TV package. Easily the most watched channel in the house.

TroutSc
05-25-2012, 02:36 PM
I got the package with Comcast but all that's ever on now is tennis channel.

bullfan
05-25-2012, 02:50 PM
I have had it with both Comcast and Verizon. Glad I have it. Of course, it makes me get up early in the morning when there's a match I want to see at 6 am!

HiRO
05-25-2012, 02:57 PM
I also enjoy tennis channel for the "smaller", but generally more competitive matches.

Any channel cover the Champions Tour?

Ronaldo
05-25-2012, 03:19 PM
Foxsports carried the Champions' Tour along w/TC

t135
05-25-2012, 03:21 PM
It is awesome, yes I do.

Mighty Matteo
05-25-2012, 03:25 PM
I recommend streaming from ESPN3 since the quality is so good, and getting a cable to stream the tennis on your tv. It comes out very well.

Evan77
05-25-2012, 04:03 PM
you guys are lucky ... it's not available in Canada (tennis channel). We stuck here with TSN (they are not too bad) but in order to see any matches outside of slams (and some masters) ... good luck, you are stuck with the internet.

Defcon
05-25-2012, 04:05 PM
Well, I called Comcast and asked for a promo, they gave me the Sports package for $4.95. So all is good now :)

kishnabe
05-25-2012, 04:08 PM
I remember seeing the repeat of a Federer match.....and it showed the score. Twas a bummer, ruined my interest in the match.

Big_Dangerous
05-25-2012, 04:31 PM
During the Slams, it's best if you have DirecTV.

ESPN3 is great also.

:)

I'm only disappointed that I didn't get into tennis sooner than a few years ago. But yes DirecTV with the mix channels, omg it's like you died and went to heaven as tennis fan. I love this time of year, because you have two slams with that kind of coverage back to back. There is no better time of year than now if you are a tennis fan! :P

Defcon
05-25-2012, 04:31 PM
I wish we could Eurosport or BBC though. IMO US commentators are the absolute worst.

JeMar
05-25-2012, 04:33 PM
I also enjoy tennis channel for the "smaller", but generally more competitive matches.

Any channel cover the Champions Tour?

TC shows champions matches every once in a while, but I get the feeling it's usually matches that take place in the USA.

On topic, get it. It's definitely worth it. Around slam time, it's about the same as the larger networks, but the TC blows everyone else away all other weeks. They offer comprehensive coverage of all master series events and almost all other 250 and 500 tournaments; coverage for smaller tournaments usually starts at the QF or SF round, but I don't mind that too much.

sillymonkey
05-25-2012, 05:24 PM
Definitely worth every penny. Plus you get Fox soccer (if you're into soccer) with the package.

CourtlyLove
05-25-2012, 05:26 PM
Definitely worth every penny. Plus you get Fox soccer (if you're into soccer) with the package.

Come next season Fox might not have any soccer rights worth watching, sadly...

sillymonkey
05-25-2012, 07:59 PM
Come next season Fox might not have any soccer rights worth watching, sadly...

Huh. Didn't know that. Who's getting the premier league and other Euro league viewing rights?

Wuppy
05-25-2012, 08:45 PM
Omg Espn3 Ftw Lol

Seth
05-25-2012, 09:00 PM
I just dropped TC today.

It's great for the Masters series tournaments. Excellent, live coverage with great announcers.

During slams it's marginal.

Aside from Masters coverage (only 9 out of 52 weeks of the year), you get:
- A few boring Champions league matches between only American players (Agassi, Sampras, Chang, Courier)
- Countless, wasted hours of Destination Tennis
- Washed-up "has-beens" and "never-weres" in the form of Danielle Dotzenrod and Mayleen Ramey hosting miserable shows
- Old matches between only the top 4 men played ad nauseam instead of live matches from 250 and 500 level events
- The same 3 episodes of "Best of 5" until your eyes bleed

The most frustrating thing for me is how much they push the matches they actually show live (which is once in a blue moon). They blow up their commercials with their own plugs and FB page advertising what they're going to be showing, as if it were a big accomplishment. In reality, they should be showing live matches whenever possible. It's what it was created to do. It's the purpose of a "tennis channel." NBAtv shows live games all the time. Same with MLB network. I don't know the ins and outs of what it takes to get cameras to every event, but I'm sure - in 2012 - it's not as difficult as TC would lead us to believe.

tl;dr - I've had enough.

Overheadsmash
05-25-2012, 09:01 PM
I have DirecTV with Tennis Channel in HD and we have a HD DVR. It's the best, especially those first weeks of grand slams with the six channels. You can check out stuff like Fabio Fognini vs. Florian Mayer at 6:30 A.M while you have coffee. You will never see that match on ESPN. I can highly recommend this if you are a tennis fan.

Overheadsmash
05-25-2012, 09:03 PM
I just dropped TC today.

It's great for the Masters series tournaments. Excellent, live coverage with great announcers.

During slams it's marginal.

Aside from Masters coverage (only 9 out of 52 weeks of the year), you get:
- A few boring Champions league matches between only American players (Agassi, Sampras, Chang, Courier)
- Countless, wasted hours of Destination Tennis
- Washed-up "has-beens" and "never-weres" in the form of Danielle Dotzenrod and Mayleen Ramey hosting miserable shows
- Old matches between only the top 4 men played ad nauseam instead of live matches from 250 and 500 level events
- The same 3 episodes of "Best of 5" until your eyes bleed

The most frustrating thing for me is how much they push the matches they actually show live (which is once in a blue moon). They blow up their commercials with their own plugs and FB page advertising what they're going to be showing, as if it were a big accomplishment. In reality, they should be showing live matches whenever possible. It's what it was created to do. It's the purpose of a "tennis channel." NBAtv shows live games all the time. Same with MLB network. I don't know the ins and outs of what it takes to get cameras to every event, but I'm sure - in 2012 - it's not as difficult as TC would lead us to believe.

tl;dr - I've had enough.

They have live 250 and 500 matches on all the time and wall to wall coverage of 1000 level events. Plus, who could get tired of seeing Danielle and Maylee? Tennis Channel is great.

Seth
05-25-2012, 09:10 PM
They have live 250 and 500 matches on all the time and wall to wall coverage of 1000 level events. Plus, who could get tired of seeing Danielle and Maylee? Tennis Channel is great.

Those events are only covered from the QFs (at the earliest) and on. Instead of playing the early rounds, they show the SFs and Fs from two weeks early over and over and over.

Let's not forget how the producers at TC evidently get off on showing stale Fed Cup matches in terrible video quality. Each time Fed Cup matches are held, TC replays them for the next three weeks back-to-back-to-back.

Like I said, TC truly shines when it comes to 1000 level Masters tourneys. Everything else is marginal considering what they could be doing. Even if they are going to play replays, why not play classic battles between all the past greats?

Overheadsmash
05-25-2012, 09:17 PM
All of that programming costs money. Considering what a niche sport tennis is in the U.S. these days, I'm actually surprised they have as much as they do.

Seth
05-25-2012, 09:18 PM
All of that programming costs money. Considering what a niche sport tennis is in the U.S. these days, I'm actually surprised they have as much as they do.

That's a good point, as well.

ProPlayer
05-26-2012, 01:14 AM
yeah same here they gave me a deal, saves me from watching all the stupid crap on CNN

CourtlyLove
05-26-2012, 05:43 AM
Huh. Didn't know that. Who's getting the premier league and other Euro league viewing rights?

Al Jazeera has won the Serie A rights (and La Liga, for that matter), and is expected to bid BIG money for the Premier League. They're launching two sports channels in teh US in August, but God knows how available those channels will be. I think it'd be teh worst thing for the growth of the sport in this country: after ramping up the momentum starting with the World Cup, then these Champions League and Premier League matches that have been getting mainstream hype and record ratings, then the Euro this summer...if top-flight soccer were to become inaccessible for years now would be terrible.

I can't see GOL TV surviving without La Liga (they hardly survived with it), and if Fox loses the Prem I don't know what they'd do--they do still have the Champions League (and the World Cup in 2018 and 2022, for that matter), but I imagine they may have to eliminate Fox Soccer Plus and collapse it into one channel. Maybe starting airing nPower Championship matches on the main Fox Soccer (which I would be interested in watching; but I may be one of the few)...I don't know how it'll all work out.

Hopefully the Premier League thinks about exposure and audience reach in addition to straight cash when they decide who they sell the rights to.

West Coast Ace
05-26-2012, 07:51 AM
I just signed up with Comcast, debating whether I should add Tennis Channel. Unless you have to spend $50 because it's in some huge package, it's worth it. Madrid and Rome, we got 12 hours of ATP matches in the early rounds. With a DVR, you can FF to the matches you want to see and zip through the commercials. And with the smaller tournaments they will show the quarters, semis, and finals (unfortunately sometimes delayed so you have to stay away from the internet and news).

sillymonkey
05-26-2012, 09:03 AM
Unless you have to spend $50 because it's in some huge package, it's worth it. Madrid and Rome, we got 12 hours of ATP matches in the early rounds. With a DVR, you can FF to the matches you want to see and zip through the commercials. And with the smaller tournaments they will show the quarters, semis, and finals (unfortunately sometimes delayed so you have to stay away from the internet and news).

No, it's like $10 more per month. Well worth it. The masters series alone makes it worth it. Yes, some of the filler programming is weak, but for first week slam coverage and masters series, you can't beat it. They also cover Davis cup.

sillymonkey
05-26-2012, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the info CourtlyLove. I think I get some al jazeera in lo-def, but it's early in the am and just news. Sounds like they're expanding the network.

Fee
05-26-2012, 01:37 PM
I have Tennis Channel via Time Warner Cable, so I have access to ESPN3 and TWCTV.com, which allows me to watch most of my cable channels on my computer, including TC and ESPN even when I'm away from home. I'm set for the summer.

sureshs
05-26-2012, 07:05 PM
I just signed up with Comcast, debating whether I should add Tennis Channel. As I remember in the slams most of the big matches are going to be shown live on ESPN2, and there's always espn360.com to watch online, so is it worth it?

Of course. Do you want zero tennis on US channels or matches which will always be subordinated to some other sport which goes on and on? If you want to keep tennis alive in the US, subscribe to Tennis Channel. It is the least you can do.

bjk
05-26-2012, 07:46 PM
In addition to masters series events, also show Davis cup matches. Best thing about tc is shows matches when played - you can watch paris masters at 8 in the morning.

Don't have wtf tho but do show the doubles wtf.

eagle
05-26-2012, 10:02 PM
I can get it via TWC but I've decided not to do so. If I do, I won't be able to do anything else. I'd be watching it 24/7. :)

r,
eagle

Tennis in Hawaii: http://www.tennisinhawaii.com
Gonna Love It Tennis: http://www.gonnalove-it.com/tennis
Keohi Tennis: http://www.keohi.com/tennis

OddJack
05-26-2012, 10:07 PM
TC is a must if you watch tennis. You dont have an option basically.

I am guessing they are gonna get the contracts for the ones they dont hold in the future...all majors.

ramos77
05-26-2012, 10:15 PM
tennistv.com is awesome

Mansewerz
05-26-2012, 10:27 PM
Has anyone else's tennis channel HD's disappeared?

OddJack
05-26-2012, 10:29 PM
just checked hd works

Rocky89
05-26-2012, 10:53 PM
tennistv.com is awesome

I wish it showed slams though. I don't have ESPN or TC and the like :(

Fee
05-26-2012, 11:27 PM
Chris Fowler posted on his twitter today that ESPN3 goes off the air when ESPN does, every day at 10 am ET.

ramos77
05-26-2012, 11:35 PM
I wish it showed slams though. I don't have ESPN or TC and the like :(

I didn't even know that! :-?

Is there an online site that shows the French?

OddJack
05-26-2012, 11:36 PM
Chris Fowler posted on his twitter today that ESPN3 goes off the air when ESPN does, every day at 10 am ET.

Thats when TC picks it up

OddJack
05-26-2012, 11:37 PM

where do u live?

Rocky89
05-27-2012, 01:00 AM

You can live stream all channels on this website including Eurosports:

http://superusvox.com

Also:

http://www.lshunter.tv/tennis-live-streaming-video.html

:)

ramos77
05-27-2012, 01:40 AM
where do u live?

Australia

10char

Defcon
05-27-2012, 01:43 AM
An unexpected bonus was that the package on Comcast includes Speed channel, which will let me watch F1 coverage !! I didn't know it was even available in the US.

I will enjoy TC's coverage from 7am to 4pm tomorrow, great way to spend a Sunday :)

sillymonkey
05-27-2012, 09:45 AM
Another reason to get Tennis Channel...no Mary Carillo!! You won't have to suffer thru her windbag commentary ad nauseum.

Defcon
05-27-2012, 10:05 AM
I like Mary Carillo, she's a million times better than the other female commenators (on any channel).

Fee
05-27-2012, 11:22 AM
Another reason to get Tennis Channel...no Mary Carillo!! You won't have to suffer thru her windbag commentary ad nauseum.

She works for Tennis Channel now, when she's not on NBC. She left ESPN two years ago.

norcal
05-27-2012, 04:01 PM
If you are a tennis junkie it's a must. Directv also has a choice of 6 courts for the first week of each slam - awesome.

Hi Fee!

bjk
05-27-2012, 04:40 PM
The next US tennis star is going to grow up watching TC. It's perfect for the obsessive kid who wants to eat and breathe tennis. Good instructional segments and good matches from the past.

Btw one thing I learned watching a clay tournament from the 70s: playing with a wood racquet is really hard. The wood era was slow and rallies didn't last long and usually ended in unforced errors. If you've seen only McEnroe and Borg playing with wood you might get the wrong impression of the typical wood match.

Fee
05-27-2012, 08:49 PM
If you are a tennis junkie it's a must. Directv also has a choice of 6 courts for the first week of each slam - awesome.

Hi Fee!

Hey stranger!

Wuppy
05-28-2012, 02:02 AM
The next US tennis star is going to grow up watching TC. It's perfect for the obsessive kid who wants to eat and breathe tennis.

Back when I was playing junior golf there weren't any kids who actually enjoyed the game. I have a feeling that 99.9% of the kids playing junior sports are doing so because their parents push and push and push them to do it, not really because they want to "eat and breathe" the sport.

bjk
05-28-2012, 04:23 PM
Back when I was playing junior golf there weren't any kids who actually enjoyed the game. I have a feeling that 99.9% of the kids playing junior sports are doing so because their parents push and push and push them to do it, not really because they want to "eat and breathe" the sport.

Maybe that's true. The good ones can't stop thinking about it though. I would have been thrilled if my parents had pushed me. Couldn't get enough tennis and basketball.