PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Tennis Academies

shsman2091
07-30-2005, 09:38 PM
I am a 4.0 level player and I am very interested in joining a tennis academy or a tennis camp. I'm 16 years old, and I have a limited budget so I'm lookin for something not to cheap. I'm willing to travel anywhere in the U.S. but would love to find a tennis academy in NY. So I would like some suggestions by those who think they can help. Thanks.

Geezer Guy
08-18-2005, 10:12 AM
I'm not a teen, but I've looked into and attended many adult tennis camps. My favorite has been the John Newcombe Tennis Ranch. It was also the most reasonably priced. Newk's also has a summer camp and an academy for kids. The summer camp is for anyone, and I think they can stay as many weeks as they want. The academy is for the elite players. They live on site, attend the local school during the school year, and play tennis EVERY day. I've seen these kids practice and play, and I've played against a few of them. They're REALLY good. Although some may eventually turn pro, most have goals of getting a college scholorship, getting a good education, and then getting a "real" job.

You can get more info from their website at NewkTennis.com.
I'm not affiliated with them in any way, other than as a satisfied customer.

smittysan89
08-20-2005, 09:36 PM
im in same situation as you but unfortunately school starts next week, so i dont have a chance to attend any until next summer probably, besides some 4 day camps at a local club

The_Dark_Knight
08-21-2005, 05:35 PM
Do not go to Newcombe Tennis Ranch/Academy. The instructors aren't that great, 'cept Travis and Dave, i can beat some of the academy players. That place is more about havin' fun. Go to Texas A&M Tennis Camp!!!!!!!!!

matchpoints
08-21-2005, 09:34 PM
Do not go to Newcombe Tennis Ranch/Academy. The instructors aren't that great, 'cept Travis and Dave, i can beat some of the academy players. That place is more about havin' fun. Go to Texas A&M Tennis Camp!!!!!!!!!

When was your last time there? And what did Dave look like?

The_Dark_Knight
08-22-2005, 05:43 PM
I went Spring Break. IDK Dave Had Short hair, Wasn't very tall, and Switched between a Babolat Pure Control Zylon and some Prince racquet

matchpoints
08-22-2005, 09:56 PM
I remember Dave! He's in Chicago right now. Very nice guy :)