PDA

View Full Version : Grand Slam Winners still Pro

firepanda
05-27-2012, 01:58 AM
Its interesting to see how some Grand Slam Champions have fared, especially since before Federer we passed a period resembling women's tennis, where there were no dominant players.

Novak Djokovic (SRB) - Very competitive and a favourite for most slams now.

Rafael Nadal (ESP) - Very competitive and a favourite as well, especially for RG and Wimbledon.

Roger Federer (SUI) (I can hear the squees from here) - Been left in the dust a bit, but he's still very good and one of the best in the game atm.

Juan Martin Del Potro (ARG) - Could have been a serious threat, but is mainly a dark horse now, lurking outside the top players.

Andy Roddick (USA) - Still got the best serve, but now sits around 30. Undeniably still great, but doesn't compete at the very top anymore. Married to Brooklyn Decker (It had to be said).

Juan Carlos Ferrero (ESP) - Like Roddick, he's been around 40 for a while now. He still performs well on the clay and hard, but is ground to mush against the top players.

Lleyton Hewitt (AUS) - I can't believe this guy's still going. He happily stagnates in the 100's, getting his annual cheer at the Aus Open every year.

What strikes me is that Federer is still very competitive, while the others have fallen behind. Safin, Moya etc were doing similar things before they retired. Also, all of the dominant players outside of Federer now are obsessive baseliners.

joeri888
05-27-2012, 02:52 AM
Hewitt still very much top 20 level when he's half-fit to compete.

Cup8489
05-27-2012, 03:02 AM
Hewitt still very much top 20 level when he's half-fit to compete.

This. Hanging with Djokovic on his best surface, and on one that nearly completely negates the tactics that hewitt uses, even taking a set, despite having been off and on for years with serious injury, speaks volumes about how good prime Hewitt really was. This guy never gets enough credit.

tata
05-27-2012, 03:15 AM
This. Hanging with Djokovic on his best surface, and on one that nearly completely negates the tactics that hewitt uses, even taking a set, despite having been off and on for years with serious injury, speaks volumes about how good prime Hewitt really was. This guy never gets enough credit.

i rekon he really could have taken it to a 5th set in that AO match this year. He had his chances to break in the 4th with all the momentum.

The Bawss
05-27-2012, 03:46 AM
Lol Roddick undenaiably still great? He was barely great during his 2-week prime.

Ocean Drive
05-27-2012, 04:12 AM
Hewitt is far from "happily" sitting outside of the worlds top 100.

NatF
05-27-2012, 04:17 AM
Lol Roddick undenaiably still great? He was barely great during his 2-week prime.

A past it Roddick made the WB final in 2009...

joeri888
05-27-2012, 05:10 AM
Isn't Muster still playing? ;)

Ocean Drive
05-27-2012, 05:24 AM
No, played his last match at Salzburg in November.

Praetorian
05-27-2012, 05:29 AM

2 week prime Roddick > any <time frame here> prime Murray.

And I like them both equally as well... :twisted: