PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone remember this incident?

roundiesee
05-27-2012, 04:03 AM
Can anyone remember what happened in 2006? Why was Rafa so angry with Ivan?

Question to Ivan Ljubicic-

Which locker room joke do you regret?
Iíd actually say I regret certain press conferences. Particularly the one after my semi-final in 2006 here against Rafa. Heís still mad about it, six years later. I still donít know what I could have said for him to still be so upset even today and still hold it against me. But, thatís Rafa, thatís just how he is.

Here's the link-
http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/articles/2012-05-27/201205271338115174793.html

joeri888
05-27-2012, 04:08 AM
Not very kind of Rafa to hold anything against a real nice guy like Ivan Ljubicic.

Ocean Drive
05-27-2012, 04:11 AM
No idea. I had a look on this website in case it had it up, which has many transcripts, but it's not there.

http://www.asapsports.com/show_player.php?id=10258

CMM
05-27-2012, 04:19 AM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=82038

Ocean Drive
05-27-2012, 04:21 AM
Ljubicic was probably referring to the fact that Roland Garros was the only slam eluding Federer in completing the Career Slam and a possible Calender Slam.

CMM
05-27-2012, 04:33 AM
He might be a nice guy but sometimes he makes silly comments.
A few weeks ago he criticized Fish and other American players on twitter for not showing up at the clay court events.

http://www.tennisgrandstand.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Fish-responds-to-Ljubicic.png

Ljubicic deleted his twitter account after this.

vive le beau jeu !
05-27-2012, 04:38 AM

Iíd actually say I regret certain press conferences. Particularly the one after my semi-final in 2006 here against Rafa. Heís still mad about it, six years later. I still donít know what I could have said for him to still be so upset even today and still hold it against me. But, thatís Rafa, thatís just how he is.

Here's the link-
http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/articles/2012-05-27/201205271338115174793.html
he just stated the obvious... that was a great press conference.

nadal_slam_king
05-27-2012, 04:39 AM
Not very kind of Rafa to hold anything against a real nice guy like Ivan Ljubicic.

LOL, Nadal would know a lot more about Ljubicic than the fans do.

joeri888
05-27-2012, 04:47 AM

Yeah, but in general, it's not very nice to hold something someone said after a match against him 6 years later. It was a silly comment from Ljubicic, but pretty innocent as well.

Cormorant
05-27-2012, 04:49 AM
When Ivan made three out of four masters finals in a row he said something along the lines of, "I feel like the real number two." I don't know how serious he was and if there was any flippancy in the statement, but some people took it seriously and perhaps Nadal(who was #2 back in 2006, obviously) was one of them.

Ocean Drive
05-27-2012, 05:05 AM
When Ivan made three out of four masters finals in a row he said something along the lines of, "I feel like the real number two." I don't know how serious he was and if there was any flippancy in the statement, but some people took it seriously and perhaps Nadal(who was #2 back in 2006, obviously) was one of them.

Ljubicic never labelled himself that, some fans did. Nadal was holding a slam and 4 masters series titles, he's not that stupid.

Cormorant
05-27-2012, 05:11 AM
Ljubicic never labelled himself that, some fans did. Nadal was holding a slam and 4 masters series titles, he's not that stupid.

In Miami '06, he was quoted as saying it and I read it at the time.

But not having heard him say it, I don't know if he was speaking emotionally or not.

Ocean Drive
05-27-2012, 05:26 AM
In Miami '06, he was quoted as saying it and I read it at the time.

But not having heard him say it, I don't know if he was speaking emotionally or not.

You're right. I love Ivan Ljubicic but yes, ridiculous thing to say.

Ljubicic feels ready for Federer
By Jamey Eisenberg

Thursday, March 30, 2006

KEY BISCAYNE ó Ivan Ljubicic feels so confident right now that he's ready to challenge Roger Federer as the best player in the world.

Ljubicic, the No. 6 seed, advanced to the semifinals at the Nasdaq-100 Open on Wednesday after beating unseeded Agustin Calleri 7-6 (4), 6-3. He is now 24-3 this year, which is second on the men's tour in victories behind Federer's 25.

Ljubicic and Federer could meet in the final Sunday, and Ljubicic is talking as if he's the challenger to Federer's top status, ahead of such players as Rafael Nadal and Andy Roddick.

"Definitely, I feel like the No. 2 player in the world," said Ljubicic, who has won two titles this year. "It's not a secret. It's not just the feeling. Also, I think the numbers are showing the same way."

Ljubicic overpowered Calleri with his serve. Ljubicic hit 14 aces, won 36 of 37 points on his first serve and never faced a break point. He credits Goran Ivanisevic, his friend and fellow Croatian, with honing his serve and says he mimics the way the former Wimbledon champion used his legs to add power to it.

Ljubicic will face No. 3 seed David Nalbandian on Friday after Nalbandian beat No. 22 seed Mario Ancic 6-2, 6-2. Nalbandian is another player ahead of Ljubicic in the rankings, but that doesn't matter to Ljubicic, who said he is not upset that most Americans don't realize how well he is playing.

"I don't like too much attention," Ljubicic said. "I of course appreciate it. And if I play well, of course, I'm going to earn that attention. I'm going to earn center-court appearances."

Slice&Smash
05-27-2012, 05:32 AM
Really??... Humbalito is still bitter after 6 years because someone said they prefer Federer to win the FO final?

Surprising, no?

Emet74
05-27-2012, 05:40 AM
I googled and here's what I found:

Ljubicic angered by Nadal tactics

Ivan Ljubicic was unimpressed by some of Rafael Nadal's tactics in their French Open semi-final on Friday.

The Croatian was unhappy with how long Nadal took between points and said most players want Roger Federer to win the final on Sunday.

"It's ridiculous how much time he takes between points," said Ljubicic.

"I think the umpire should be more aggressive on that because they gave him one time violation but it didn't seem to change anything."

And Ljubicic, who lost 6-4 6-2 7-6 (9-7), made it clear where his support will be going come Sunday afternoon.

I would love to see Roger winning," he said. "Everyone in the locker room would.

"He's the best player ever in tennis so it would be nice to see him lifting the trophy here."

Nadal was unconcerned by Ljubicic's comments, saying: "You've got to learn to control yourself when you lose a match, you can't just go about saying anything."

He added: "I've been on the circuit for many years, and I've never had any problems with anybody.

"I've always behaved properly so I'll go on behaving the way I behave, and I'm very happy the way I relate to other people."

And the suggestion that the other players will be backing Federer was also brushed off by the Spaniard.

"Those comments don't bother me because I'm relaxed," he said. "I know that things are fine, and it's not because Ljubicic says that that it's necessarily true.

"A lot of people want me to win, I'm very relaxed and I'm playing well."

Sentinel
05-27-2012, 05:54 AM
So this comment upset Rafael for six years...

Ivan Ljubicic feels so confident right now that he's ready to challenge Roger Federer as the best player in the world

Just when you thought you had seen everything :rollseyes:

Sentinel
05-27-2012, 05:59 AM
He added: "I've been on the circuit for many years, and I've never had any problems with anybody.

That's actually a universal line when you complain about something wrong. The first person is always told that no one else has ever complained. People and companies can keep repeating this line (no one has ever complained) forever.

"A lot of people want me to win, I'm very relaxed and I'm playing well."

Yup, Tio Toni and family surely.

Props to Ivan for speaking up.

1970CRBase
05-27-2012, 05:59 AM
He’s still mad about it, six years later. I still don’t know what I could have said for him to still be so upset even today and still hold it against me. But, that’s Rafa, that’s just how he is.

So that is not what Nadal says, only what he alleges.

If I were Nadal, I wouldn't dignify this. If the reporters bring this up at a press conference, Nadal should have the sense to just brush it aside with : "Ivan who?"

OddJack
05-27-2012, 06:06 AM
Lubi shouldnt have made those comments in a press conference and certainly shouldnt have talked for every other player.

But 3 things

1- His anger for having to wait too long between point is understandable and consider that this is still going on to this date
2- I wouldnt say all, but I would agree most of the players prefer a guy like Rodge over Rafa's personality. No one likes to have a bully around. Plus remember that in those days Rafa was more of a pusher than he is today.
3- It tells you something about Rafa's personality. The way he holds grudge and wouldnt forget or forgive even after someone says he is sorry aoubt it. Certainly not a "humble" behavior as he likes to project.-

nadal_slam_king
05-27-2012, 06:06 AM
Yeah, but in general, it's not very nice to hold something someone said after a match against him 6 years later. It was a silly comment from Ljubicic, but pretty innocent as well.

Why is it not nice? If you don't like someone, you don't like someone. Nothing wrong with that. Not everyone has to act like a forgiving sissy.

jelle v
05-27-2012, 06:07 AM
Ah Nadal.. bittered as ever, but so politically correct in the media. If they were ever going to cast tennis players for a Batman movie, Nadal would be really suited for the role of Two Face.

nadal_slam_king
05-27-2012, 06:10 AM
Ah Nadal.. bittered as ever, but so politically correct in the media. If they were ever going to cast tennis players for a Batman movie, Nadal would be really suited for the role of Two Face.

LOL, what kind of person likes every player? Why be nice to fools?

jelle v
05-27-2012, 06:16 AM

You're missing the point..

Sentinel
05-27-2012, 06:17 AM
Why is it not nice? If you don't like someone, you don't like someone. Nothing wrong with that. Not everyone has to act like a forgiving sissy.
Lawl. It takes strength to forgive. It's children who take things personally and therefore hold grudges for a long time.

I can see which side you would take quite clearly!:)

nadal_GOAT_king
05-27-2012, 06:27 AM
Lawl. It takes strength to forgive. It's children who take things personally and therefore hold grudges for a long time.

I can see which side you would take quite clearly!:)

I shall now find the strength to not be annoyed with *** anymore and retire this nonsense account (wouldn't mind the mods banning this). Was meant to be a parody acc but the guy alone is enough of a joke.

Goodbye *picks butt on the way out*

nadal_slam_king
05-27-2012, 06:27 AM
You're missing the point..

There is no point in being nice to everyone.

vive le beau jeu !
05-27-2012, 06:28 AM
the nadal is also known as the godfaker...
phoniest player ever.

jelle v
05-27-2012, 06:30 AM
There is no point in being nice to everyone.

You're still missing the point, but don't bother any longer trying to get it, it's a waste of both our time.

Cormorant
05-27-2012, 06:44 AM
"Definitely, I feel like the No. 2 player in the world," said Ljubicic, who has won two titles this year. "It's not a secret. It's not just the feeling. Also, I think the numbers are showing the same way."

When he said this, he was number 2 in the race after the first three months of the season, and maybe he was also encouraged about all the doubts at the time over the longevity of Nadal's body.

nadal_slam_king
05-27-2012, 06:47 AM
You're still missing the point, but don't bother any longer trying to get it, it's a waste of both our time.

You never had a point, you just called Nadal a 2-face for not liking Ljubicic and being politically correct to the media. Who behaves in a politically correct way to peers/colleagues?

abmk
05-27-2012, 06:53 AM
the nadal is also known as the godfaker...
phoniest player ever.

godfaker ..... LOL :)

nadal_slam_king
05-27-2012, 06:57 AM
I shall now find the strength to not be annoyed with *** anymore and retire this nonsense account (wouldn't mind the mods banning this). Was meant to be a parody acc but the guy alone is enough of a joke.

Goodbye *picks butt on the way out*

Winner by KNOCKOUT and STILL undefeated.....

NADAL...

SLAM...

KIIIIIIING

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/image.php?u=87069&dateline=1288760873

Another one bites the dust!

Mustard
05-27-2012, 06:57 AM

Was it innocent? Ljubicic said that he felt like the world number 2 at a time when world number 2 Nadal was French Open champion and the holder of 4 masters series titles. Ljubicic said after Nadal beat him in the 2006 French Open semi finals that Nadal was slow between points and then said that "the whole locker room" would like to see Federer win. How would you feel in Nadal's shoes after those comments? It sounds hostile to me. In fact, come to think of it, the stick Nadal was getting at that time was disgraceful. He dared to challenge the mighty Federer and stop him becoming French Open champion.

CMM
05-27-2012, 07:11 AM
When he said this, he was number 2 in the race after the first three months of the season, and maybe he was also encouraged about all the doubts at the time over the longevity of Nadal's body.

Very funny.

Mainad
05-27-2012, 07:25 AM

He was on a real roll that year and playing some of his best ever tennis. He just cruised through Miami but lost the final to Federer in 3 tight set tie-breakers. Fed, of course, was at the peak of his game at that time. Ironically, after making 3 out of 4 Masters finals in a row, it was to be another 4 years before Ljubicic made the finals of another Masters 1000, when he was nearing the end of his career, at Indian Wells where this time he finally secured his Masters shield in another tight two tight set tie-breaker final v Andy Roddick, another veteran who was also playing some of the last good tennis of his career.

2006 was also the year Ljubicic made his only ever Slam semi-final, at Roland Garros. He lost to Nadal and that's when he made his rather tactless comment about all the players hoping for a Federer win in the final. I can see why Rafa was annoyed about it. That wasn't the only time they clashed though and there does seem to be a bit of a history of bad blood between them. Any lingering resentment Nadal still feels is probably not just down to that one incident. It's likely that Ljubicic and Nadal will never be on each other's favourite players lists. They just rubbed each other up the wrong way, a bit like Federer and Djokovic perhaps.

moonpie
05-27-2012, 07:27 AM
Ljubi has been critical of other players. I remember Nalby winning the WTF and getting the #3 ranking. Ljubi had a pretty good record against Nalby and he said in a presser that he was the real #3. Just seemed a little disrespectful of a fellow players accomplishment.

Mainad
05-27-2012, 07:35 AM
In fact, come to think of it, the stick Nadal was getting at that time was disgraceful. He dared to challenge the mighty Federer and stop him becoming French Open champion.

It's a tribute to Nadal's sheer mental toughness that he managed to shrug off all these rather negative vibes and comments, dug his heels in and went on to defend his FO title and, with one exception, go on defending it ever since.

Without a doubt, Nadal has to be one of the mentally, as well as physically, toughest guys ever to play tennis!

jamesblakefan#1
05-27-2012, 07:44 AM
This along with the comments he made recently about Americans skipping clay events, it seems as if Ljub isn't quite the 'nice guy' people want to portray him as. Not saying he's a pr ick, but he tends to put his foot in his mouth a lot it seems.

I'd still hold a grudge too if I was Nadal. LOL at Ljub trying to play Mr. Innocent. "I still don't know what I could've said..." Saying that everyone wants Fed to win, saying you're the real #2, calling him out for time wasting after a loss, that couldn't be it, no?

Gorecki
05-27-2012, 08:00 AM

but we all thought Nadal was the most humble down to earth candid guy on tour.

but then, we see him asking for more money, sending death glares, meancing tournament organizers, asking for less work... one has to wonder. is he in fact a greedy uneducated dooosh?:confused:

Clarky21
05-27-2012, 08:06 AM
This along with the comments he made recently about Americans skipping clay events, it seems as if Ljub isn't quite the 'nice guy' people want to portray him as. Not saying he's a pr ick, but he tends to put his foot in his mouth a lot it seems.

I'd still hold a grudge too if I was Nadal. LOL at Ljub trying to play Mr. Innocent. "I still don't know what I could've said..." Saying that everyone wants Fed to win, saying you're the real #2, calling him out for time wasting after a loss, that couldn't be it, no?

Me too. Ljubicic has a smart mouth,and needs to learn to shut it. Hilarious the people on here defending these types of comments from this guy. Never in a million years would Nadal get away with saying this kind of crap. The folks on here would want to see him hanged at dawn for such grievances,but since Ljubicic is a well known Fed boot licker,his comments are justified. I wonder what the reaction would be if he had said these things about Fed? I can bet if he had,Ivan would have to move into the witness protection program,and do so stat.

sureshs
05-27-2012, 08:23 AM
Lube was another mental slave of Fed. Players like Rafa and Djokovic refused to be like that, and see how successful they are against Fed.

BeHappy
05-27-2012, 08:46 AM

I’d actually say I regret certain press conferences. Particularly the one after my semi-final in 2006 here against Rafa. He’s still mad about it, six years later. I still don’t know what I could have said for him to still be so upset even today and still hold it against me. But, that’s Rafa, that’s just how he is.

Here's the link-

I remember it very well:

Nadal used to take 1-2 minutes between serves when he was under pressure (really!).

Lubijic was putting Nadal under serious pressure in the semi final of RG that year. He was very good back then, no.3 in the world etc. Nadal engaged in all his gamesmanship and Lubikic wasn't happy. It took Nadal 4 tight sets to win even with the gamesmanship and Lubijic actually might have won if Nadal hadn't taken so long between serves.

Anyway, after the match in the press conference Lubijiic said of Nadal: "He is a joke, he has no class and no one in the locker room likes him".

No one really liked Nadal back then because he was just a cheating grinder (back then) who used to beat Federer purely because of a lucky match up. Federer was actually much more dominant on clay against everyone else back then. I guess that's why it wasn't such a big deal when Lubijic said that, everyone just thought they were both two jerks.

It was 2007 Nadal started hitting monster forehands and stopped with the gamesmanship.

Here's the interesting thing, after Lubikic lost to Roddick at the USO in 2003 (the crowd was on his case big time in that match), guess what he said about Roddick?
"He is a joke, he has no class and no one in the locker room likes him".

Lubijic is a very immature sore loser. I don't know how he got so respected by tennis fans or his peers in the last 3-4 years.

Gorecki
05-27-2012, 08:55 AM
It was 2007 Nadal started hitting monster forehands and stopped with the gamesmanship.

huh?

2017 you mean for sure...

nadal_slam_king
05-27-2012, 09:02 AM
but we all thought Nadal was the most humble down to earth candid guy on tour.

but then, we see him asking for more money, sending death glares, meancing tournament organizers, asking for less work... one has to wonder. is he in fact a greedy uneducated dooosh?:confused:

You have a problem with a tennis player having an opinion? How is being honest a bad thing?

Nadal is way better than me and you. We can only wish to be as classy as Nadal.

Mainad
05-27-2012, 09:08 AM
I remember it very well:
Lubijic was putting Nadal under serious pressure in the semi final of RG that year. He was very good back then, no.3 in the world etc. Nadal engaged in all his gamesmanship and Lubikic wasn't happy. It took Nadal 4 tight sets to win even with the gamesmanship and Lubijic actually might have won if Nadal hadn't taken so long between serves.

Nadal beat him in straights at the 2006 FO semi-final 6-4,6-2,7-6.

Lubijic is a very immature sore loser. I don't know how he got so respected by tennis fans or his peers in the last 3-4 years.

Some players seem to get him on his nerves. Nadal is certainly one of them.

Evan77
05-27-2012, 09:09 AM
You have a problem with a tennis player having an opinion? How is being honest a bad thing?

lol, I can't believe this. hahah, Nadal can hardly speak any English, he is a buttpicker, OCD with his bottles, his ego is huge, yet he pretends to be humble... and you call that classy ...

and when you say 'we can only wish to be as classy', I just had to puke ... let me go brush my teeth now ...

Gorecki
05-27-2012, 09:14 AM

i agree. i will curve down myself to receive the apropriate beatings for having to study my way thru life instead of just beeing a brainless hacker with a talent for pushing a ball with stick!

Now that is epitome of class!!

Mainad
05-27-2012, 09:18 AM
lol, I can't believe this. hahah, Nadal can hardly speak any English

So what? His Spanish is excellent!

he is a buttpicker

So what? Roddick and Murray like to adjust their fronts!

OCD with his bottles, his ego is huge, yet he pretends to be humble

So he likes to arrange his bottles, so what? As for huge ego...see also Federer and Djokovic. And when does he 'pretend' to be humble?

WhiskeyEE
05-27-2012, 09:40 AM
Nadal is still mad because what Ljubicic said is true and the truth hurts.

I don't know what he expected though. Did he really think that his gimmicky manufactured image and autistic personality would make him popular in the locker room?

Funny that even other players can't stand this guy.

Mustard
05-27-2012, 09:46 AM

You believe that nonsense from Ljubicic? LOL.

Sentinel
05-27-2012, 09:49 AM
Me too. Ljubicic has a smart mouth,and needs to learn to shut it. Hilarious the people on here defending these types of comments from this guy. Never in a million years would Nadal get away with saying this kind of crap. The folks on here would want to see him hanged at dawn for such grievances,but since Ljubicic is a well known Fed boot licker,his comments are justified. I wonder what the reaction would be if he had said these things about Fed? I can bet if he had,Ivan would have to move into the witness protection program,and do so stat.
Come on, Clarky, I thought you were fairer than that. Anyone whose opinion of Fed is positive, or who criticizes Nadal even the slightest is attacked by you Nadal fans. Remember the thread in which Lube said Nadal's game was boring and how he was raked on the coals for daring to speak.

Now fast forward to the recent thread of that guy ... oh yes, stackoverflowsky. The way you guys capitalized on that. Did you folks then say that he has a smart mouth and should learn to keep it shut ?

Eh, my dear friend ? Double standards ?

sbengte
05-27-2012, 09:50 AM

This. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Ljubicic expressing his opinion about Nadal and no one should have a problem with it. Must have taken some guts to be honest and speak out against a top player in his interview.

vive le beau jeu !
05-27-2012, 09:51 AM
Nadal is still mad because what Ljubicic said is true and the truth hurts.

I don't know what he expected though. Did he really think that his gimmicky manufactured image and autistic personality would make him popular in the locker room?
maybe that's what tio toni made him believe ?... :rolleyes:
it's pleasant to see that most players have a healthy reaction toward this disgusting and fake character. :)

Sentinel
05-27-2012, 09:55 AM
So the message coming through is that it is not acceptable for a player to mention time violations by Nadal. Any criticism of Rafa is ridiculous ???

pls don't go. i was laughing at your posts.

tennis_pro
05-27-2012, 09:59 AM
Lube was another mental slave of Fed. Players like Rafa and Djokovic refused to be like that, and see how successful they are against Fed.

Ironically Nadal and Djokovic are 5-6 younger than Federer rather than 2 years older which is the case with Ljubicic.

Sentinel
05-27-2012, 10:03 AM
Fred was another mental slave of Rafa. Players like Djokovic and Dasco refused to be like that, and see how successful they are against Rafa.

Clarky21
05-27-2012, 10:08 AM
Come on, Clarky, I thought you were fairer than that. Anyone whose opinion of Fed is positive, or who criticizes Nadal even the slightest is attacked by you Nadal fans. Remember the thread in which Lube said Nadal's game was boring and how he was raked on the coals for daring to speak.Now fast forward to the recent thread of that guy ... oh yes, stackoverflowsky. The way you guys capitalized on that. Did you folks then say that he has a smart mouth and should learn to keep it shut ?

Eh, my dear friend ? Double standards ?

Not from me. I don't dislike Fed at all,and I don't remember the thread you speak of,either. Anyway,the same thing can definitely be said about Fed fans when anything positive is said about Nadal. He can't do anything right according to some people on here,and several folks on here actually think the guy is the devil incarnate.

I also stand by comment that Ivan is a Fed boot licker,and would lose to Fed in order to worship him a bit further,even if he were up 5-0,40-0 in the 5th set of a Wimby final. He cannot see the forest for the trees when it comes to anything related to Roger.

And noone would be saying anything if he knew how to keep his trap shut. You talk sh*t you get sh*t in return.

Clarky21
05-27-2012, 10:10 AM
This. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Ljubicic expressing his opinion about Nadal and no one should have a problem with it. Must have taken some guts to be honest and speak out against a top player in his interview.

Replace the name Nadal with Federer,and would you still feel the same way?

Photoshop
05-27-2012, 10:13 AM
Hasn't Ljubicic retired? Why does he feel the need to bring up something from 6 years ago that's not even newsworthy? Why is he badmouthing the future GOAT that's clearly out of his league? He needs to stay retired and stop making a scene. He was only known for his baldness and he'll soon be forgotten. Goodbye.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Un9tP8dJIs8/T8JsOWuweVI/AAAAAAAAASk/nF5vYlLaPGg/s541/ButthurtLjub.JPG

BeHappy
05-27-2012, 10:36 AM
Nadal beat him in straights at the 2006 FO semi-final 6-4,6-2,7-6.

Some players seem to get him on his nerves. Nadal is certainly one of them.

Well I'm going by memory, not looking up stats on the ATP website. Lubijic definitely had the lead at some point in that match in either the first or second set, maybe he was up a break or maybe it went to a tight tie break or whatever. It was a very tight match, and a very long one too actually if I recall correctly.

Mustard
05-27-2012, 10:50 AM
Well I'm going by memory, not looking up stats on the ATP website. Lubijic definitely had the lead at some point in that match in either the first or second set, maybe he was up a break or maybe it went to a tight tie break or whatever. It was a very tight match, and a very long one too actually if I recall correctly.

Are you sure you're not confusing it with Nadal's 5-7, 6-4, 6-4, 6-4 win over Mathieu in the Round of 32? That match was 4 hours and 53 minutes.

BeHappy
05-27-2012, 11:19 AM
Are you sure you're not confusing it with Nadal's 5-7, 6-4, 6-4, 6-4 win over Mathieu in the Round of 32? That match was 4 hours and 53 minutes.

Definintely. Nadal had lots of tough matches back then due to his grinder style, I remember Hewitt pushing him VERY hard at RG one year. 4 sets and 4 hours. Might even have been the same year.

Mustard
05-27-2012, 11:46 AM
Definintely. Nadal had lots of tough matches back then due to his grinder style, I remember Hewitt pushing him VERY hard at RG one year. 4 sets and 4 hours. Might even have been the same year.

It was the same year. Ljubicic had a slow start against Nadal. He didn't really get going until the third set, and it was way too late by then. Mathieu, Hewitt and Federer were the tough matches for Nadal.

Leelord337
05-27-2012, 11:49 AM
I have another question in regards to remembering a tennis incident:

Carlos Moya became angry at the opponent and went for a first serve to hit the player on purpose, served over the baseline at 130+. anybody remember this? i think it was between 2002-2004

intrepidish
05-27-2012, 11:56 AM
Ljubi has been critical of other players. I remember Nalby winning the WTF and getting the #3 ranking. Ljubi had a pretty good record against Nalby and he said in a presser that he was the real #3. Just seemed a little disrespectful of a fellow players accomplishment.

Ljubicic has a history of being a Federer henchman and a bit too smart mouthed for his own good.

intrepidish
05-27-2012, 12:01 PM
i agree. i will curve down myself to receive the apropriate beatings for having to study my way thru life instead of just beeing a brainless hacker with a talent for pushing a ball with stick!

More like an obsessive crank who spends countless hours on a message board WRITING about men who hit a ball with a stick.

intrepidish
05-27-2012, 12:06 PM
maybe that's what tio toni made him believe ?... :rolleyes:

it's pleasant to see that most players have a healthy reaction toward this disgusting and fake character. :)

Except you have absolutely no idea what "most players" think about Nadal or anything else for that matter.

intrepidish
05-27-2012, 12:08 PM

Seeing as how he lost all three sets, it couldn't have been much of a lead.

Your memory doesn't seem all that reliable unsurprisingly.

BeHappy
05-27-2012, 12:23 PM
Seeing as how he lost all three sets, it couldn't have been much of a lead.

Your memory doesn't seem all that reliable unsurprisingly.

Oh really?

Let's take a look at the stats, http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=L360&oId=N409#

Ivan Ljubicic did break Nadal and the match was nearly 3 hours long.

6-4, 6-7(5), 6-3
Set 1: Lubijic broke him in the first set, Nadal broke back and then got a second break, the set was an hour long. That's a tight set.

THe second set went to a tie break which Nadal won 7-5, that's a tight set.

The third set Lubijic allowed himself to be affected by Nadal's time wasting and got broken twice (he served first).

That's a pretty tight match isn't it? I said :

He was up a break in the first set, there was a very tight tie break in the second set, it was a very long match.

Seems like my memory is pretty accurate seeing as I watched this 6 years ago.

TheTruth
05-27-2012, 12:27 PM
A few weeks ago he criticized Fish and other American players on twitter for not showing up at the clay court events.

http://www.tennisgrandstand.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Fish-responds-to-Ljubicic.png

Good stuff. Ljubicic is/was notorious for making dumb, generalized comments.

intrepidish
05-27-2012, 12:30 PM
Oh really?

Let's take a look at the stats, http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=L360&oId=N409#

6-4, 6-7(5), 6-3
Set 1: Lubijic broke him in the first set, Nadal broke back and then got a second break, the set was an hour long. That's a tight set.

The third set Lubijic allowed himself to be affected by Nadal's time wasting and got broken twice (he served first).

He was up a break in the first set, there was a very tight tie break in the second set, it was a very long match.

Seems like my memory is pretty accurate seeing as I watched this 6 years ago.

Seems like you don't know what you're talking about since the match in question was the 2006 FO semi-final 6-4,6-2,7-6.

What are YOU going on about?

That's twice you have referenced the wrong match.

Maybe it is more than your memory that is problematic.

TheTruth
05-27-2012, 12:30 PM

You can't. They won't be satisfied anyway.

Mustard
05-27-2012, 12:33 PM
Oh really?

6-4, 6-7(5), 6-3

That's their 2005 Miami match. Nadal won 6-4, 6-7, 6-3. It was Ljubicic who won the second set tiebreak, not Nadal.

Their 2006 French Open match saw Nadal beat Ljubicic 6-4, 6-2, 7-6 in the semi finals.

TheTruth
05-27-2012, 12:34 PM
Was it innocent? Ljubicic said that he felt like the world number 2 at a time when world number 2 Nadal was French Open champion and the holder of 4 masters series titles. Ljubicic said after Nadal beat him in the 2006 French Open semi finals that Nadal was slow between points and then said that "the whole locker room" would like to see Federer win. How would you feel in Nadal's shoes after those comments? It sounds hostile to me. In fact, come to think of it, the stick Nadal was getting at that time was disgraceful. He dared to challenge the mighty Federer and stop him becoming French Open champion.

That is a perfect summation of the events as they occurred.

Anyway, this is all water under the bridge. It doesn't really even need to be addressed as it has absolutely no relevance in today's game. Some years ago Ljubicic was making hostile comments about Nadal, Nadal didn't like it (I wouldn't either) and now Ljube is retired, slamless, and a decent career, no more.

Sounds like sour grapes to me.

BeHappy
05-27-2012, 12:34 PM
Seems like you don't know what you're talking about since the match in question was the 2006 FO semi-final 6-4,6-2,7-6.

What are YOU going on about?

That's twice you have referenced the wrong match.

Maybe it is more than your memory that is problematic.

I just copy and pasted the wrong scoreline, the stats are still correct.

The match was nearly 3 hours long. Ljubicic was up a break in the first set. There was a tight tiebreak in the third set!

I was right about everything!

Now what?

TheTruth
05-27-2012, 12:36 PM

Very true. I hate when people try to play innocent when they know they're really trying to stir the pot. So silly.

BeHappy
05-27-2012, 12:36 PM
That's their 2005 Miami match. Nadal won 6-4, 6-7, 6-3. It was Ljubicic who won the second set tiebreak, not Nadal.

Their 2006 French Open match saw Nadal beat Ljubicic 6-4, 6-2, 7-6 in the semi finals.

see previous post.

Here's the same correct link to the same correct stats I gave in the first post:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=L360&oId=N409#

I was right about everything.

edit: It redirects, try this one:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Share/Match-Facts-Pop-Up.aspx?t=1536&y=2005&r=7&p=L360

tangerine
05-27-2012, 12:39 PM
Ljubicic has always been an arsehole with a chip on his shoulder. He thinks too highly of himself for the lowly tennis rung he occupys/occupied.

TheTruth
05-27-2012, 12:40 PM

Probably not. There's an uprising if anyone says anything about Fed around here, pundits, players, and posters included.

Double standards? All of a sudden Ljubicic was just being honest, lol!

BeHappy
05-27-2012, 12:40 PM
Ljubicic has always been an arsehole with a chip on his shoulder. He thinks too highly of himself for the lowly tennis rung he occupys/occupied.

Very bad loser, but he was very good for a while.

Mainad
05-27-2012, 12:41 PM

Well no, you said and I quote: "It took Nadal 4 tight sets to win" . It didn't. Nadal beat him in straights.

Now what?

You tell me.

BeHappy
05-27-2012, 12:43 PM
Well no, you said and I quote: "It took Nadal 4 tight sets to win" . It didn't. Nadal beat him in straights.

You tell me.

Let's try this again:
I was right about everything [in the post of mine that I quoted and was obviously referring to].

I forgot I need to spell everything out for simple minded folk like yourselves. That would have saved me having to connect the dots for you here.

Would you like fries with your humble pie?

Mustard
05-27-2012, 01:00 PM
see previous post.

Here's the same correct link to the same correct stats I gave in the first post:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=L360&oId=N409#

I was right about everything.

edit: It redirects, try this one:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Share/Match-Facts-Pop-Up.aspx?t=1536&y=2005&r=7&p=L360

Nadal won their 2006 French Open semi final comfortably. He was broken just once, compared to 4 times where Nadal broke Ljubicic's serve. As I said, Nadal's toughest matches of that tournament were against Mathieu, Hewitt and Federer.

edberg505
05-27-2012, 01:05 PM
I think I remember Ivan saying something about he doesn't like warming up with him because he frames a lot of balls, or something like that. LOL. Ivan was always known for making bitter comments after losing. That's just what he does. I don't see any point in being bitter about it especially since he won the matches more often than not. Now it would probably bother me more if I lost. Hahaha.

BeHappy
05-27-2012, 01:29 PM
Nadal won their 2006 French Open semi final comfortably. He was broken just once, compared to 4 times where Nadal broke Ljubicic's serve. As I said, Nadal's toughest matches of that tournament were against Mathieu, Hewitt and Federer.

3 sets in 3 hours isn't a comfortable win. Being taken to a tight tie breaker isn't a comfortable win. Going down a break to one of the greatest servers of all time isn't a comfortable win.

Admit it, you don't know what you're talking about.

jamesblakefan#1
05-27-2012, 01:41 PM
3 sets in 3 hours isn't a comfortable win. Being taken to a tight tie breaker isn't a comfortable win. Going down a break to one of the greatest servers of all time isn't a comfortable win.

Admit it, you don't know what you're talking about.

http://chzgifs.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/funny-gifs-and-lold-some-more.gif

tistrapukcipeht
05-27-2012, 01:44 PM

Classy answer from Fish, nothing more I could expect from a guy that called Tsonga "Dumb *****" last year, had problems with Mathieu a long, long time ago, and of course is friends with Roddick, resembling his best friend :) .

jamesblakefan#1
05-27-2012, 01:48 PM
Classy answer from Fish, nothing more I could expect from a guy that called Tsonga "Dumb *****" last year, had problems with Mathieu a long, long time ago, and of course is friends with Roddick, resembling his best friend :) .

So wait, insinuating a guy is skipping tournaments because he's lazy (basically) and not because he's injured (which Fish is and Roddick were) is ok, but somehow responding and defending yourself isn't ok? I forgot, this place has people on here that hate on Americans almost as much as they hate Nadal. :?

tistrapukcipeht
05-27-2012, 01:58 PM
So wait, insinuating a guy is skipping tournaments because he's lazy (basically) and not because he's injured (which Fish is and Roddick were) is ok, but somehow responding and defending yourself isn't ok? I forgot, this place has people on here that hate on Americans almost as much as they hate Nadal. :?

He can defend himself, but no need to be classless and be offensive. I know Ljubicic was wrong about it and it's not his business, but rant like that is unecessary, He was agry!

Ljubicic didn't call Americans that can't play on clay dumb which in that case would have been a great answer.

BeHappy
05-27-2012, 02:06 PM
http://chzgifs.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/funny-gifs-and-lold-some-more.gif

Consistently hit 900 aces a year at his peak:
2005: 897 aces
2006: 929
2007: 944 aces

in 2002 he hit 750 aces in 58 matches. He is definitely one of the best servers ever.

tistrapukcipeht
05-27-2012, 02:11 PM

in 2002 he hit 750 aces in 58 matches. He is definitely one of the best servers ever.

Absolutely, one of the best serves ever, still better than most players in the top 10 nowadays.

Mainad
05-27-2012, 02:56 PM
Let's try this again:

Try it as many times as you like.We were discussing the 2006 FO semi-final between Nadal and Ljubicic. I again quote from you:

It took Nadal 4 tight sets to win even with the gamesmanship and Lubijic actually might have won if Nadal hadn't taken so long between serves.

And I again repeat, this time very slowly for you so you can finally take it in:

Nadal won the match in straight sets 6-4,6-2,7-6.

So what was it you were saying about being right about everything you said?

I forgot I need to spell everything out for simple minded folk like yourselves. That would have saved me having to connect the dots for you here.

Well, you haven't connected the dots for me have you? I've just had to connect them for you though I can see it's probably a waste of time for someone who evidently likes to throw his toys out of the pram rather than actually admit...shock, horror.... he might actually have been wrong about something!

Would you like fries with your humble pie?

Well, how about you try some first? It might do you a world of good!

BeHappy
05-27-2012, 04:05 PM
I again quote from you:
It took Nadal 4 tight sets to win
And I again repeat, this time very slowly for you so you can finally take it in:

Not in the post you quoted! No mention of 4 sets here:

The match was nearly 3 hours long. Ljubicic was up a break in the first set. There was a tight tiebreak in the third set!

Now what?

How does it feel being wrong? :)

jamesblakefan#1
05-27-2012, 04:51 PM

Absolutely, one of the best serves ever, still better than most players in the top 10 nowadays.

I guess the numbers back it up, but when I think of great serves his name never comes to mind. Guys like Sampras, Ivanisevic, Karlovic, Roddick, and Becker...even Fed would be ahead just based on his pressure serving in big matches (namely Wim 09 final).

Mainad
05-27-2012, 07:50 PM

How about we stick to the post I did quote? You incorrectly stated that Ljubicic had taken Nadal to 4 sets at 2006 FO when he lost in straights. You then said and I quote: "I was right about everything!"

I'll let you know when I am. How does it feel to be wrong about being right about everything? :cool:

sbengte
05-27-2012, 08:15 PM

It isn't about Fed or Nadal. It is about applauding ***'s fair poast which spoke for freedom of expression for a tennis player like Ljubicic.

Crisstti
05-27-2012, 08:38 PM
2- I wouldnt say all, but I would agree most of the players prefer a guy like Rodge over Rafa's personality. No one likes to have a bully around. Plus remember that in those days Rafa was more of a pusher than he is today.

Lol, Nadal is not a bully. If anyone was being a bully there it was Ljubicic. He was behaving like a spoiled child... Rafa was what, 20 at the time?, and acting so much maturely than him...

But what stick was he getting apart from what Ljubicic said?.

Crisstti
05-27-2012, 08:39 PM
lol, I can't believe this. hahah, Nadal can hardly speak any English, he is a buttpicker, OCD with his bottles, his ego is huge, yet he pretends to be humble... and you call that classy ...

and when you say 'we can only wish to be as classy', I just had to puke ... let me go brush my teeth now ...

Uhm, what is classless is making comments such as those. His ability to speak a foreign language?, having an anxiety problem?. That has nothing at all with being classy or not.

You believe that nonsense from Ljubicic? LOL.

They just believe what they want to believe. I mean, never mind that Fish (just to name an example) said he's well liked.

They would SO love it if the other players hated him like they do.

I think I remember Ivan saying something about he doesn't like warming up with him because he frames a lot of balls, or something like that. LOL. Ivan was always known for making bitter comments after losing. That's just what he does. I don't see any point in being bitter about it especially since he won the matches more often than not. Now it would probably bother me more if I lost. Hahaha.

He was mad at Soderling in 2007 even though he also won that match, so it has nothing to do with winning or losing.

Really, we have seen here posted many instances of Ljubicic being downright rude (and an awfully sore loser) to Rafa... and to others. And yet some people think Rafa has nothing to be upset about. Guess nothing else should be expected from haters, who are really nothing but sore losers themselves.
Even now, he tries to play innocent and make Rafa look bad for (allegedly) holding a grudge, after all he's said.

Mustard
05-27-2012, 08:53 PM
But what stick was he getting apart from what Ljubicic said?.

From the crowd, mainly, and the usual people picking faults with Nadal while they praise Federer to the moon. It was like everyone, including Federer's opponents, was supposed to just stand back and admire Federer's game as he broke every record. Nadal's challenge to Federer was treated like "how dare you challenge Federer!"

intrepidish
05-27-2012, 09:19 PM

You reference the 4 sets in more than one post. You have some serious issues if you think you were "right about everything."

Winning a match in straights with several breaks. A little different than the picture you referenced.

It would be ok if you owned up to it but instead you go on the OFFENSIVE.

Pretty classless.

jamesblakefan#1
05-27-2012, 09:20 PM
From the crowd, mainly, and the usual people picking faults with Nadal while they praise Federer to the moon. It was like everyone, including Federer's opponents, was supposed to just stand back and admire Federer's game as he broke every record. Nadal's challenge to Federer was treated like "how dare you challenge Federer!"

I think that's a bit of hyperbole. Sure there were some diehards who didn't like Fed's dominance being challenged, but most people liked the dichotomy of Fed being able to win everywhere but having the one unclimbable mountain in Nadal on clay. Every sports fan loves a rivalry - Patriots/Colts, Sox/Yankees, Ali/Frazier, I could go on and on. Tennis had lacked that since the retirement of Sampras (w/ Agassi), and Fed/Nadal definitely filled that void in a great way. Let's be honest, even though US media pinned their hopes on it, it was clear that Roddick/Fed wasn't going to be much of a 'rivalry' for this era since Fed was so much better and owned Roddick in every big match.

That and Nadal was a vast contrast from Fed w/ the capri pants and short sleeves and definitely won over his share of fans, as is obvious by the strong fanbase he enjoys today.

The disdain Nadal got in the past was nowhere near what it seems to be today, since back then he was still thought of as a CC specialist and no real threat to Fed's chase of the slam record. Not until he started to do well on other surfaces on a consistent basis did you see some of that change.

Magnus
05-27-2012, 09:39 PM
Fed is the people's champion. Rafa will always be jealous of that. Fed can lose to him 1000 times and people will still cheer for him mostly.

Magnus
05-27-2012, 09:46 PM

He may not like him, but he's still on tour with him, which means he should at least keep a friendly attitude toward him regardless of what they both think of each other. Of course, Ljubo called out Nadal for his time wasting back in 2006. Six years later and it keeps getting worse and worse.

edberg505
05-27-2012, 09:46 PM
Uhm, what is classless is making comments such as those. His ability to speak a foreign language?, having an anxiety problem?. That has nothing at all with being classy or not.

They just believe what they want to believe. I mean, never mind that Fish (just to name an example) said he's well liked.

They would SO love it if the other players hated him like they do.

He was mad at Soderling in 2007 even though he also won that match, so it has nothing to do with winning or losing.

Really, we have seen here posted many instances of Ljubicic being downright rude (and an awfully sore loser) to Rafa... and to others. And yet some people think Rafa has nothing to be upset about. Guess nothing else should be expected from haters, who are really nothing but sore losers themselves.
Even now, he tries to play innocent and make Rafa look bad for (allegedly) holding a grudge, after all he's said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/5-years-prison-former-prep-football-star-exonerated-210345660.html

That guy has a reason to be bitter and yet he isn't. Holding a grudge for 6 years against someone because they said something so trivial seems rather petty.

Magnus
05-27-2012, 09:49 PM

Which is why Fed fans are more than happy to welcome the newer challengers in Djokovic, Delpo, Murray, Tsonga, Berdych, and to a lesser extent Soderling. All these guys gave Federer trouble in the past and beat him, yet Fed fans are still happy with the comeptition. Face it, people who dislike Nadal do it because of Nadal's attitude, not because he challenged Fed.

jamesblakefan#1
05-27-2012, 10:04 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/5-years-prison-former-prep-football-star-exonerated-210345660.html

That guy has a reason to be bitter and yet he isn't. Holding a grudge for 6 years against someone because they said something so trivial seems rather petty.

Come on man, let's not act like people from all walks of life don't hold grudges for even longer for much smaller stuff, relatively speaking.

Sentinel
05-27-2012, 10:05 PM
What makes you think you know why people dislike Nadal? First of all many of us Fed fans don't like his game, and that's different from not liking the person. We may crack jokes at his attitude or habits but that's another thing altogether.

Recently when he won Rome there was a spate of posters saying "Nadal is killing/ruining tennis", so again it was his playing style, not attitude.

Yes, we do object to his time violations and even those hilarious MTO's but those are usually secondary.

You hate Nadal so you seem to need to make it look like everyone hates him. Get a life !

primetennis
05-27-2012, 10:12 PM

ya right..nadal knows everything about everyone..he is the god after all..

vive le beau jeu !
05-28-2012, 02:59 AM
Which is why Fed fans are more than happy to welcome the newer challengers in Djokovic, Delpo, Murray, Tsonga, Berdych, and to a lesser extent Soderling. All these guys gave Federer trouble in the past and beat him, yet Fed fans are still happy with the comeptition. Face it, people who dislike Nadal do it because of Nadal's attitude, not because he challenged Fed.
i know nardology is still a developing discipline but it's really puzzling to me why they don't manage to understand such a simple and obvious thing... or maybe they pretend not to ? or do they simply force themselves to believe in the legend of the pure golden bull striving for the well-being of all the poor tennis players of the world ?

great post, by the way.

(awesome ! you rock ! you're the fuzziest poster !)

OddJack
05-28-2012, 03:33 AM
When people here post threads titled " why so much hate for Nadal" is it not likely that many in locker room would feel the same?

namelessone
05-28-2012, 04:13 AM
When people here post threads titled " why so much hate for Nadal" is it not likely that many in locker room would feel the same?

And this is why TW(and all other tennis forums basically) are a joke.

How can you equate what some(not all) here comment to what "many in the locker room" feel? Have you been in those locker rooms, are you a constant presence there?Are we gonna compare weekend warriors feeling about a player with what the pros feel about that particular guy(you know, those people that know him instead of guys that form their opinion on Nadal with what they see on tv)? Yes, I'm sure some players hate/dislike Nadal, just like some guys do on the Internet but you can put that for every player out there. The unfortunate reality for the haters is that most players like or are neutral towards Nadal. He is supposedly a cheater/bully/mean starer across the net/add whatever you like, since at least 2005 yet the nr of players that have come and sad anything bad or complained about him in any nr of ways I could probably count on one hand.

I can't fathom a scenario where everybody player in the locker room is a big fat wuss and Nadal is the "bully". It's hilarious. There are so many hotheaded players around there or players that are more physically imposing than Nadal, you think Nadal could dominate them in any way in the locker room? I have to laugh.

BlueClayIsRealClay
05-28-2012, 05:11 AM
And this is why TW(and all other tennis forums basically) are a joke.

How can you equate what some(not all) here comment to what "many in the locker room" feel? Have you been in those locker rooms, are you a constant presence there?Are we gonna compare weekend warriors feeling about a player with what the pros feel about that particular guy(you know, those people that know him instead of guys that form their opinion on Nadal with what they see on tv)? Yes, I'm sure some players hate/dislike Nadal, just like some guys do on the Internet but you can put that for every player out there. The unfortunate reality for the haters is that most players like or are neutral towards Nadal. He is supposedly a cheater/bully/mean starer across the net/add whatever you like, since at least 2005 yet the nr of players that have come and sad anything bad or complained about him in any nr of ways I could probably count on one hand.

I can't fathom a scenario where everybody player in the locker room is a big fat wuss and Nadal is the "bully". It's hilarious. There are so many hotheaded players around there or players that are more physically imposing than Nadal, you think Nadal could dominate them in any way in the locker room? I have to laugh.

You just contradicted yourself. Read the bolded parts carefully and see if you can figure out why.

Magnus
05-28-2012, 05:25 AM
What makes you think you know why people dislike Nadal? First of all many of us Fed fans don't like his game, and that's different from not liking the person. We may crack jokes at his attitude or habits but that's another thing altogether.

Recently when he won Rome there was a spate of posters saying "Nadal is killing/ruining tennis", so again it was his playing style, not attitude.

Yes, we do object to his time violations and even those hilarious MTO's but those are usually secondary.

You hate Nadal so you seem to need to make it look like everyone hates him. Get a life !

I was referring to people who seem to hate Nadal, regardless of his tennis. I, for one, find nothing wrong with his tennis. Its effective, good, and very physical. Anyone who says something bad about Nadal's game is lying to himself, simply as that. I hate Nadal for what I consider him being a tennis criminal. I think he ruins the sport. Disagree with me? Good for you, I respect that. I didn't say everyone hates Nadal, I was simply referring to people who DO.

And that poor "Gat a life" last bit is something I'd expect from a ******* like Mustard, Bud, or The Truth.

Now obviously, there ARE people who hate Nadal, so have some respect for that community as well.

BeHappy
05-28-2012, 06:22 AM
The thing about Nadal in 2006 is he was scraping through matches, losing sets to lots of players. Federer was blowing the same opponents away. Nadal needed plenty of cheating to get through a lot of his matches.

And then in the finals against Federer in every tournament, Nadal was winning purely by being a left hander. It seemed obvious that Federer was the better clay courter then.

Of course Nadal went on to reach a completely different level in 2007. His gamesmanship was very very bad back in those days though. I remember lots of incidences.

BeHappy
05-28-2012, 06:25 AM
How about we stick to the post I did quote? You incorrectly stated that Ljubicic had taken Nadal to 4 sets at 2006 FO when he lost in straights. You then said and I quote: "I was right about everything!"

I reproduced the post of mine you quoted last time, here it is again:

I again quote from you:
It took Nadal 4 tight sets to win

Now what?

I'll let you know when I am. How does it feel to be wrong about being right about everything? :cool:

Never said I was right about everything [in the world], just said I was right about everything [in that post] :)

OddJack
05-28-2012, 06:30 AM
You just contradicted yourself. Read the bolded parts carefully and see if you can figure out why.

ehe

ehehe

MUHahahahahahaaaahaaaaaaa

Didnt you know namelssness is in those locker rooms with "constant presence"?
He must be the guy who collects the towels and takes them to laundry.

jamesblakefan#1
05-28-2012, 06:56 AM
The thing about Nadal in 2006 is he was scraping through matches, losing sets to lots of players. Federer was blowing the same opponents away. Nadal needed plenty of cheating to get through a lot of his matches.

And then in the finals against Federer in every tournament, Nadal was winning purely by being a left hander. It seemed obvious that Federer was the better clay courter then.

Of course Nadal went on to reach a completely different level in 2007. His gamesmanship was very very bad back in those days though. I remember lots of incidences.

http://www.gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs2/1569451_o.gif

TheNatural
05-28-2012, 06:58 AM
Ivan who??

jamesblakefan#1
05-28-2012, 07:00 AM
He can defend himself, but no need to be classless and be offensive. I know Ljubicic was wrong about it and it's not his business, but rant like that is unecessary, He was agry!

Ljubicic didn't call Americans that can't play on clay dumb which in that case would have been a great answer.

Well given what we know now about why Mardy has missed these tourneys, I'd say he has more than a right to call Ljub's comments dumb.

Roddick and John Isner quickly came to Fish's defense, Roddick Tweeting: "I know for a fact that @MardyFish is going through some serious physical issues right nowÖ Irresponsible tweet by @IvanLjubicic1," Roddick began.

Fish himself shot back a message, which he later deleted: "@IvanLjubicic1 Some of us aren't skipping tournaments bc we want to. Do ur homework before u make dumb generalized comments."
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/tennis/story/2012-05-28/mardy-fish-heart/55244236/1

LeoMOMO
05-28-2012, 07:28 AM

thumbs up to Sentinel. :)

namelessone
05-28-2012, 07:51 AM

No contradiction.

We both made an assumption even though we don't know the lockerrom personally.

But I based my assumption(that most guys in the lockerroom like or are neutral towards Nadal) on the fact that very few players have had any sort of conflict(or at least expressed their dislike in another way) with Nadal in the 8 or so years he has been on top whereas he based his(that MANY guys in the lockerrom dislike Nadal) on the fact that a bunch of anonymous guys/gals like to hate on Nadal on a internet forum, equating the feelings of a bunch of regular joes with the ones that actually get to share a lockerrom with Nadal and suggesting that both parties are somewhat similar in number(hey lots of guys dislike Nadal on forums so lots of guys must dislike him in the lockerroom, amirite?). Ridiculously funny.

BlueClayIsRealClay
05-28-2012, 08:15 AM
No contradiction.

We both made an assumption even though we don't know the lockerrom personally.

But I based my assumption(that most guys in the lockerroom like or are neutral towards Nadal) on the fact that very few players have had any sort of conflict(or at least expressed their dislike in another way) with Nadal in the 8 or so years he has been on top whereas he based his(that MANY guys in the lockerrom dislike Nadal) on the fact that a bunch of anonymous guys/gals like to hate on Nadal on a internet forum, equating the feelings of a bunch of regular joes with the ones that actually get to share a lockerrom with Nadal and suggesting that both parties are somewhat similar in number(hey lots of guys dislike Nadal on forums so lots of guys must dislike him in the lockerroom, amirite?). Ridiculously funny.

Are you for real? You just lambasted the guy for assuming to know what goes on in the locker room and then you do the EXACT same thing yourself.

And then on top of that you do the exact same thing AGAIN in this post (see bolded). Hypocrite much?

TheTruth
05-28-2012, 02:03 PM

So true. That's what makes Nadal so awesome. He's a tennis player, too. He's not supposed to be a fan. In the end it didn't matter as Nadal still amassed millions of fans on his own.

Guess everybody didn't feel that way.

Rhino
05-28-2012, 02:12 PM

I think Mardy is the *** here. Ljubicic made a good point. Mardy isn't the only US player on tour. Where was Roddick during Monte Carlo / Madrid / Rome?

Mardy deleted this comment very soon after he posted it when he realised how stupid it was.

BlueClayIsRealClay
05-28-2012, 02:57 PM
Some posters are nuts.

jamesblakefan#1
05-28-2012, 06:07 PM
I think Mardy is the *** here. Ljubicic made a good point. Mardy isn't the only US player on tour. Where was Roddick during Monte Carlo / Madrid / Rome?

Mardy deleted this comment very soon after he posted it when he realised how stupid it was.

Roddick has been injured as well. And Isner, Young, Harrison, Querrey all have played in CC events in Europe outside of the MS ones, so it's obvious Ljub's original comments were aimed at Andy and Mardy, both of whom were injured and not skipping clay just to do it.

Leelord337
05-28-2012, 06:10 PM

Mardy is a d-bag and everyone in the tennis world knows that. Just not the nicest guy on tour..period. Ivan is 1 up on mardy having won a masters 1000 tourny so how dare mardy call ivan "dumb" in that message. Its just not right... He obviously was offended by it (because it was true- to some extent) so lashing out is the natural move.

BeHappy
05-28-2012, 06:12 PM
Mardy is a d-bag and everyone in the tennis world knows that. Just not the nicest guy on tour..period. Ivan is 1 up on mardy having won a masters 1000 tourny so how dare mardy call ivan "dumb" in that message. Its just not right... He obviously was offended by it (because it was true- to some extent) so lashing out is the natural move.

They're both wrong really. Just like the incident that this thread originally referred to.

jamesblakefan#1
05-28-2012, 06:25 PM

Mardy's d-baggery in the past has nothing to do with this one. Ljub was making an assumption that Mardy and Andy were missing tourneys bc they don't like clay, when the fact is that both were injured and in Mardy's case a severe health ailment. So if I was Mardy I'd say the same. I don't see how anyone can defend Ljub on this one, all of the facts point to him being in the wrong.

Crisstti
05-28-2012, 06:28 PM
Are you for real? You just lambasted the guy for assuming to know what goes on in the locker room and then you do the EXACT same thing yourself.

And then on top of that you do the exact same thing AGAIN in this post (see bolded). Hypocrite much?

Uhm, he just explained. Just a couple guys have had any problem with him, that is as much as we can actually know. For that matter, he's friends with many players (and the only one who actually friends or at least very friendly with the other top three guys). For that matter, didn't Fish say he's very well liked in the locker room?. The same thing have said the commentators of ESPN here.

To assume he is disliked because there are people who dislike him on message boards, on the other hand...

srinrajesh
06-02-2012, 12:20 AM
Lubi shouldnt have made those comments in a press conference and certainly shouldnt have talked for every other player.

3- It tells you something about Rafa's personality. The way he holds grudge and wouldnt forget or forgive even after someone says he is sorry aoubt it. Certainly not a "humble" behavior as he likes to project.-

For one we dont know if Ljubicic has really apologized in person .. i have not seen anything mentoned that he has done so
Also when you are 19 /20 years those comments would really rankle and stay in mind a lot more than when you are older