PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else embarrassed by exhibition matches?

Wuppy
05-28-2012, 01:34 AM
First one I actually watched was the BNP Paribas one on ESPN3 recently. Sharapova v. Wozniacki and Fed v. Roddick. At Madison Square Garden.

Flashing lights, disco balls, etc. I'm surprised they didn't use a fog machine during the intros.

Federer played with his Rolex on :?

After the matches they interviewed the players and each spent about a minute saying how awesome Madison Square Garden is. All four players looked like they wanted to get out of there ASAP after the matches were over. I wondered if their contracts mandated they talk X seconds about Madison Sq Garden.

Roddick of course hammed it up and was the most "entertaining" of the bunch. But it seemed rather forced.

Am I right to assume the sponsors just throw a bunch of cash at the players and the players pretty much phone in their performances? I mean I'm sure their egos give them a bit of a push to play decently, but they're not going to be diving for shots or risking injury.

I'm sure it's an easy and probably fun paycheck, but it just seemed kind of sad, like sport stripped of everything and reduced to pure entertainment.

joeri888
05-28-2012, 02:11 AM
I dislike it, but of course it's pure entertainment, and I'd probably go if federer played an exho over here. Federer gets at least a million dollars.

Evan77
05-28-2012, 04:13 AM
they mean nothing ... nobody even tries, they get money, they go home

SwankPeRFection
05-28-2012, 02:59 PM
Exhibition matches are great if done right. It's a load of fun and players can try to play some amazing points for the enjoyment of the crowd. When players are relaxed, they can usually play with a bit more "luck" skill if you will. Why anyone wouldn't want to see this is beyond me. If you're watching the match thinking that it's a match that matters, then you're watching it for the wrong reasons. Go watch something else.

Bergboy123
05-28-2012, 06:07 PM
I saw the Nike Clash of the Champions and that was a great one. Plenty of humor, fun tennis, then good tennis when Fed and Nadal got on, but still mixed with some funny points while they were competing!

El Diablo
05-28-2012, 06:14 PM
I think I'd be embarassed if I actually WATCHED one of these.....what?.....the OP actually DID watch one?.....what?.....this was the "first one" he watched, which implies he's watched more than one!!! I don't get it? If he thinks they're so dreadful, why did he watch more than one?? Because he actually enjoyed it but has a need to be pedantic?? Didn't he know it was an "exhibition" rather than a serious match? Yes? Just likes to trash things?? Okay

Zildite
05-28-2012, 06:23 PM
Didn't see it but I would prefer they have fun and 'entertain' in an exho than phone in fake matchplay ( like some of the matches @ Abu Dhabi this year)