PDA

View Full Version : Mary Fish reveals illness

SStrikerR
05-28-2012, 06:53 AM
In a recent interview, Fish revealed that he recently had heart surgery to repair what was called "faulty wiring", which caused him to have episodes of an extremely high heart rate, dating back to before the Davis cup tie in February. As it reoccurred, he eventually decided that he needed to get it fixed before returning to tennis. To quote Mardy "I thought I was going to die."

He hopes to return by Wimbledon.

I would link to the article, but I'm on my iPhone right now. Google it.

Also, I'm aware that the title says "Mary". Thanks autocorrect.

norbac
05-28-2012, 06:56 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/tennis/story/2012-05-28/mardy-fish-heart/55244236/1

BeHappy
05-28-2012, 07:01 AM
He should retire then. The same thing happened to Arthur Ashe, he made a comeback and he had a serious heart attack.

Sentinel
05-28-2012, 07:03 AM
Get well soon, Mardy.

p.s. I know about that autocorrect. Keeps changing clarky to clanky.

Bhagi Katbamna
05-28-2012, 07:07 AM
The surgery was a sham and was done so that he could skip the clay court season.

SStrikerR
05-28-2012, 07:10 AM
The surgery was a sham and was done so that he could skip the clay court season.

So you spend your retirement lurking on forums, Ivan? We're on to you.

The Bawss
05-28-2012, 07:24 AM
So you spend your retirement lurking on forums, Ivan? We're on to you.

Hahahaha, nice poast.

Don Felder
05-28-2012, 07:47 AM
I hope Mardy was smart with the money he made over the years. Good thing he caught it before something tragic happened.

Marius_Hancu
05-28-2012, 08:56 AM
unbelievable how tough it was to detect the trouble

Legend of Borg
05-28-2012, 09:12 AM
He's a scumbag with an attitude problem that makes Roddick look like Jesus, but I guess you shouldn't kick a person when he's down.

ExPostFacto
05-28-2012, 09:21 AM
He's a scumbag with an attitude problem that makes Roddick look like Jesus, but I guess you shouldn't kick a person when he's down.

At least you're speaking truth.

Legend of Borg
05-28-2012, 09:26 AM
At least you're speaking truth.

I'm irrational with my dislike towards Fish, but I simply cannot muster any false sympathy for that man.

I would like to say karma is at work here, but that would be too kind.

Tony48
05-28-2012, 09:31 AM
I'm irrational with my dislike towards Fish, but I simply cannot muster any false sympathy for that man.

EDIT: That's an awful thing to say about someone.

SStrikerR
05-28-2012, 09:39 AM
EDIT: That's an awful thing to say about someone.

Especially since all you know about him is his attitude on a tennis court. You know nothing of the man, and you're glad he had a life threatening condition? An you call him a terrible person. Meanwhile there's people out there who actually commit crimes. All he does is act up while playing a sport. *You're an idiot.

*the guy the poster quoted here was referring to.

ccmtennis
05-28-2012, 09:55 AM
As a physician I ll give my 2cents on it. I am glad he caught it as it is not easy to diagnose and happens more frequently most folks are not even aware of it except palpitations. It is NOT surgery however. It is actually just a 1-2 hour out patient procedure and a number of folks get to work after 2 days just to rest the thigh where it is done in. I like Mardy but it may be more mental than physical as the recovery is full and very quick with no rehab needed.

Fee
05-28-2012, 10:49 AM
I knew as soon as that photo of Mardy hit twitter last week he would tell the full story to someone. He looks pretty thin and out of shape. Glad they got it figured out.

Mardy never said he had heart surgery, the article never uses the word. That was the choice of the OP.

tangerine
05-28-2012, 12:34 PM
Poor Mardy. Life has been a bit rough for the fishy lately. I'm glad they fixed the heart valve problem. Hope he feels better! Eat good food and make good love with the wifey, and things will fall back into place. :)

Ljubicic looks like an even bigger arsehole now (if that's even possible) for the stupid comments he made earlier on twitter. :rolleyes:

MG1
05-28-2012, 12:38 PM
Ivan deleted his twitter account after that as i heard so may be he was completely unaware about fish illness that time.He generalize American players for skipping clay tournaments which they normally does but it was mistake.

sureshs
05-28-2012, 12:39 PM
Coincidentally, Mardy Fish also revealed his illness.

SStrikerR
05-28-2012, 12:56 PM
I knew as soon as that photo of Mardy hit twitter last week he would tell the full story to someone. He looks pretty thin and out of shape. Glad they got it figured out.

Mardy never said he had heart surgery, the article never uses the word. That was the choice of the OP.

A "cardiac procedure to fix faulty wiring in his heart" is pretty much heart surgery.

Fee
05-28-2012, 01:02 PM
A "cardiac procedure to fix faulty wiring in his heart" is pretty much heart surgery.

The physician who posted in this thread disagrees with you. You two can duke it out. :)

big_bill
05-28-2012, 01:04 PM
Sounds like panic attacks to me.

courtking
05-28-2012, 01:04 PM
I think many WTA and ATP pros have the same faulty heart problem.. They are fine until big match, pressure come and their heart rate just shoot up.. their legs get heavier.. and start choking.. it's the problem to many people..

OldFedIsOld
05-28-2012, 01:08 PM
Came into this thread thinking "Mary Fish," Marty Fish's wife was diagnosed with an illness....

Tcbtennis
05-28-2012, 01:40 PM
There are common cardiac arrhythmias that cause the heart to out of nowhere speed up to rates of 150-200+ bpm. In young otherwise healthy people like Fish, the most likely is a arrhythmia known generically as supraventricular tachycardia. There are medical conditions that can cause these, one of which is "faulty wiring". The procedure that Mardy underwent sounds like a cardiac ablation where cardiologists are able to map out the extrinsic electrical pathway and "destroy" or ablate it. It isn't considered surgery but a procedure. Untreated, it can cause low blood pressure, fatigue, shortness of breath.

Leelord337
05-28-2012, 01:41 PM
In a recent interview, Fish revealed that he recently had heart surgery to repair what was called "faulty wiring", which caused him to have episodes of an extremely high heart rate, dating back to before the Davis cup tie in February. As it reoccurred, he eventually decided that he needed to get it fixed before returning to tennis. To quote Mardy "I thought I was going to die."

I wonder if he took "TrimSpa" to lose those lbs last year?

hoosierbr
05-28-2012, 01:48 PM
As a physician I ll give my 2cents on it. I am glad he caught it as it is not easy to diagnose and happens more frequently most folks are not even aware of it except palpitations. It is NOT surgery however. It is actually just a 1-2 hour out patient procedure and a number of folks get to work after 2 days just to rest the thigh where it is done in. I like Mardy but it may be more mental than physical as the recovery is full and very quick with no rehab needed.

I had exactly the same procedure about 12 years ago when I was 20. My first episodes started when I was 17 although my biggest issue wasn't heart palpitations but fainting spells. I would pass out randomly, anywhere, with no warning signs except extreme lightheadedness right beforehand.

It is a very scary thing not knowing what your body is going to do especially when you feel perfectly fine the rest of the time.

I stayed in the hospital eight hours and was released. I couldn't do hardly anything for three days. Given that they run the catheter through your groin any strenuous physical activity can reopen the incision and you can bleed to death. As I recall after a week the scar completely healed and I was cleared to resume normal activity. Again this was over a decade ago when I was college. Procedures and recovery methods may have changed in the interim.

tangerine
05-28-2012, 03:07 PM
Doesn't Xavier Malisse also have a heart problem?

I remember one year, maybe at the US Open?, when he had to stop playing because his heart was racing and it wouldn't stop. It was a scary moment. :eek:

ccmtennis
05-28-2012, 03:10 PM
I had exactly the same procedure about 12 years ago when I was 20. My first episodes started when I was 17 although my biggest issue wasn't heart palpitations but fainting spells. I would pass out randomly, anywhere, with no warning signs except extreme lightheadedness right beforehand.

It is a very scary thing not knowing what your body is going to do especially when you feel perfectly fine the rest of the time.

I stayed in the hospital eight hours and was released. I couldn't do hardly anything for three days. Given that they run the catheter through your groin any strenuous physical activity can reopen the incision and you can bleed to death. As I recall after a week the scar completely healed and I was cleared to resume normal activity. Again this was over a decade ago when I was college. Procedures and recovery methods may have changed in the interim.

Im glad they figured it out. We know much much more about this now and ablation has been he standard very standard as well as recovery times has improved tremendously. These days we see it in people for never have it again as well especially when induced from stimulant drugs or binge drinking.. Not thatbim saying Mardy or anyone else did that.

rufus_smith
05-28-2012, 03:16 PM
"Following his loss to Monaco, he woke up around 3:30 a.m. with his heart pounding at 170-180 beats per minute, or about three times what would be normal for a world class athlete at rest.

But this time, it went on. And on. He couldn't stop it.

"I was completely panicking," Fish said of the 30-minute episode. "I thought I was going to die."

yikes

bjk
05-28-2012, 03:47 PM
Vince "ain't fraidiya" Spadea would rip the heart out, fix it, stick it back in and then pound a backhand down the line. Just saying.

Crisstti
05-28-2012, 06:58 PM
That must have been scary :neutral:. Glad they found out what it was and apparently it isn't anything too serious.

Hope he's going to be fine.

tusharlovesrafa
05-28-2012, 07:52 PM
Coincidentally, Mardy Fish also revealed his illness.

LMAO...10 Mary fishing...

Bud
05-28-2012, 07:56 PM
Sounds like panic attacks to me.

No, it's when the heart starts beating funny from overexertion. I had a stepmom who used to get this occasionally when playing racquetball. She'd feel funny and have to stop. Then, her heart would start racing.

"Following his loss to Monaco, he woke up around 3:30 a.m. with his heart pounding at 170-180 beats per minute, or about three times what would be normal for a world class athlete at rest.

But this time, it went on. And on. He couldn't stop it.

"I was completely panicking," Fish said of the 30-minute episode. "I thought I was going to die."

So, was his issue caused from overexertion or not? This DOES sound more like a panic attack, especially if he's never had one to compare it to.

Fee
05-28-2012, 08:09 PM
It's explained in the article. It was not a panic attack, it's a true misfiring in his heart circuitry.

Bud
05-28-2012, 08:15 PM
It's explained in the article. It was not a panic attack, it's a true misfiring in his heart circuitry.

The article states they never determined exactly what it was. They did the procedure anyway, however.

After several weeks of failed attempts to catch an episode on record, Fish took a more aggressive tack. He underwent a two-hour electrophysiology procedure Wednesday at Cedars-Sinai Hospital near his home in L.A.

t135
05-28-2012, 08:19 PM

Good grief, what did Mardy Fish do that's ****ed off tennis fans on the internet?

Bud
05-28-2012, 08:35 PM
Good grief, what did Mardy Fish do that's ****ed off tennis fans on the internet?

Seriously! If he hates him that much, why post some tripe about him in a Mardy Fish thread. Makes no sense visiting a thread concerning someone you dislike that intensely.

Fee
05-28-2012, 09:18 PM
The article states they never determined exactly what it was. They did the procedure anyway, however.

After several weeks of failed attempts to catch an episode on record, Fish took a more aggressive tack. He underwent a two-hour electrophysiology procedure Wednesday at Cedars-Sinai Hospital near his home in L.A.

Doctors inserted two catheters and guided them through a main vein to his heart. They used chemicals to induce the extreme palpitations and pinpoint where the misfiring was occurring.

Fish said the offending electrical circuitry was then "singed" and rendered "dormant."

"They feel like it was very successful, and that it's totally behind me now," said Fish, who has not been able to move around much because of post-operative blood clot risks. /quote

seems like they figured it out to me.

Wuppy
05-28-2012, 09:30 PM
"Electrical circuitry?" WTF is he the terminator?

Bud
05-28-2012, 09:56 PM
Doctors inserted two catheters and guided them through a main vein to his heart. They used chemicals to induce the extreme palpitations and pinpoint where the misfiring was occurring.

Fish said the offending electrical circuitry was then "singed" and rendered "dormant."

"They feel like it was very successful, and that it's totally behind me now," said Fish, who has not been able to move around much because of post-operative blood clot risks. /quote

seems like they figured it out to me.

It also states they wired him up and nothing showed for weeks on the EKG.

We all know doctors never do unnecessary procedures either, correct? It sounds to me like he was having anxiety attacks (especially since it also states that he could control them and get his heart rate back to normal - by walking them off). Anyone who has has/had serious anxiety attacks learns to do this.

We'll never know the real story unless they return.

- - -

On Sunday, Fish explained that the first episode occurred in early February prior to his five-set Davis Cup defeat of Stanislas Wawrinka in Switzerland. It lasted a couple of minutes, but it alarmed him enough that he went and banged on the hotel door of his trainer, Christian LoCascio, at 4 a.m.

It happened two or three times again in the ensuing weeks, but Fish was able to walk it off and calm down his heart on his own, usually within five minutes.

^^ Classic anxiety/panic attack symptoms for anyone who has experienced them

- - -

There was a professional baseball player recently from SF who took extended leave because of severe anxiety attacks. The symptoms are classic... racing heart, strange feeling, believe you are going to die or are having a heart attack. They also frequently occur in clusters like what Fish experienced. Some last a minute or two, some can go on for much longer (again, like Fish experienced).

onehandbh
05-28-2012, 11:16 PM
I had some heart issues a few years back. Every once in awhile my
heart beat would sky rocket up well past 230 during initial exercise and
I would get super light headed (everything got super bright) and almost
pass out if I didn't sit down. It was intermittent at first and despite wearing
a heart monitor it was hard to catch. Cardiologists weren't sure what it
was despite EKG tests, treadmills, etc. At one point they thought I needed
heart surgery. To make a long story short, it ended up being from an
overactive thyroid. Until they figured it out, though, it was kind of scary.
I started thinking I might have a heart attack or something or could pass
out very quickly.

ttwarrior1
05-28-2012, 11:33 PM
cayenne pepper could of cured that alone , not being funny

chippy17
05-29-2012, 12:57 AM

I too had the same problem (WPW or Wolf Parkinson White Syndrome) and it came to a head when sitting in an airport and my heart rate hit 300bpm and would not calm down! hospital eventually had to stop my heart and restart it with paddles!!!!

I was 32 at the time and had spent my 20s wondering why I used to get fatigued quicker than my peers etc

Had procedure as described above and the change is amazing, but I had had ecgs a couple of years before and they had not detected anything, so v difficult to detect unless you know what you are looking for

he should feel like a changed man once leg is healed, mine did not quite heal at first and I stood up and blood shot out of my leg about 2 feet across the room

hoosierbr
05-29-2012, 02:44 AM
I too had the same problem (WPW or Wolf Parkinson White Syndrome) and it came to a head when sitting in an airport and my heart rate hit 300bpm and would not calm down! hospital eventually had to stop my heart and restart it with paddles!!!!

I was 32 at the time and had spent my 20s wondering why I used to get fatigued quicker than my peers etc

Had procedure as described above and the change is amazing, but I had had ecgs a couple of years before and they had not detected anything, so v difficult to detect unless you know what you are looking for

he should feel like a changed man once leg is healed, mine did not quite heal at first and I stood up and blood shot out of my leg about 2 feet across the room

It seems more common than people realize. Better that than a heart attack I say! Much easier to recover from and go on. Indeed the self confidence that comes w/not worrying about whether you're going to collapse at any moment is a relief.

Glad to hear you're doing well now.

TennisLovaLova
05-29-2012, 03:20 AM
I had some heart issues a few years back. Every once in awhile my
heart beat would sky rocket up well past 230 during initial exercise and
I would get super light headed (everything got super bright) and almost
pass out if I didn't sit down. It was intermittent at first and despite wearing
a heart monitor it was hard to catch. Cardiologists weren't sure what it
was despite EKG tests, treadmills, etc. At one point they thought I needed
heart surgery. To make a long story short, it ended up being from an
overactive thyroid. Until they figured it out, though, it was kind of scary.
I started thinking I might have a heart attack or something or could pass
out very quickly.

Wow
I had the same symptoms Fish had, which may look like a panick attack as described first
I tried everything doctors told me until they proposed 2 solutionsl: open the s**t to see what's going on or start a hardcore diet
I cut the junk food, coca cola, coffee, tea, sugar, butter, fat etc
lost 18 kgs in 4 months
Never had that problem again

chippy17
05-29-2012, 03:59 AM
It seems more common than people realize. Better that than a heart attack I say! Much easier to recover from and go on. Indeed the self confidence that comes w/not worrying about whether you're going to collapse at any moment is a relief.

Glad to hear you're doing well now.

thanks kind of you to say, feel great and luckily no long term damage

apparently it is very common and in many cases there are no symptoms, you can in theory go through your entire life and never realise

sureshs
05-29-2012, 09:03 AM

We all know doctors never do unnecessary procedures either, correct? It sounds to me like he was having anxiety attacks (especially since it also states that he could control them and get his heart rate back to normal - by walking them off). Anyone who has has/had serious anxiety attacks learns to do this.

- - -

On Sunday, Fish explained that the first episode occurred in early February prior to his five-set Davis Cup defeat of Stanislas Wawrinka in Switzerland. It lasted a couple of minutes, but it alarmed him enough that he went and banged on the hotel door of his trainer, Christian LoCascio, at 4 a.m.

It happened two or three times again in the ensuing weeks, but Fish was able to walk it off and calm down his heart on his own, usually within five minutes.

- - -

There was a professional baseball player recently from SF who took extended leave because of severe anxiety attacks. The symptoms are classic... racing heart, strange feeling, believe you are going to die or are having a heart attack. They also frequently occur in clusters like what Fish experienced. Some last a minute or two, some can go on for much longer (again, like Fish experienced).

Are you suggesting that psychotherapy rather than this procedure should have been tried? It sounds very risky not to take care of it. Fish has lost a lot of weight and is obviously a very fit person. What if it really was this heart problem? Can a doctor just ask him to try relaxation techniques and move on?

Where is ollinger when we need him?

LuckyR
05-29-2012, 10:49 AM
Luckily Cardiologists have the ability to monitor rhythms directly through monitoring and don't have to use patient symptoms to diagnose rhythm disturbances. These sorts of things are well worked out and the appearance of rapid rhythms as a result of anxiety and those caused by an abnormality in the communication between the pacemakers of the heart and the musculature of the heart look totally different, even if they feel silimar to two patients with the two different diagnoses.

Bud
05-29-2012, 01:58 PM
Are you suggesting that psychotherapy rather than this procedure should have been tried? It sounds very risky not to take care of it. Fish has lost a lot of weight and is obviously a very fit person. What if it really was this heart problem? Can a doctor just ask him to try relaxation techniques and move on?

Where is ollinger when we need him?

I don't think psychotherapy is very successful at preventing panic/anxiety attacks. Seems like it would be difficult to root out the specific psychological issue causing them. Most people who experience them, learn quickly to identify and can resolve them within minutes (when I read the story, it states Fish could 'walk them off' initially).

Panic/anxiety can also be some sort of chemical/electrical imbalance that may or may not be connected to some deep-rooted psychological issue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panic_attack

Who knows what the issue is/was. It seems they chose to be proactive dealing with the problem. Hopefully, they solved it.

Luckily Cardiologists have the ability to monitor rhythms directly through monitoring and don't have to use patient symptoms to diagnose rhythm disturbances. These sorts of things are well worked out and the appearance of rapid rhythms as a result of anxiety and those caused by an abnormality in the communication between the pacemakers of the heart and the musculature of the heart look totally different, even if they feel silimar to two patients with the two different diagnoses.

The story stated he wore a portable EKG for several weeks and nothing unusual showed up. The docs then created the abnormality with some drug and worked from that point onward.

THUNDERVOLLEY
05-29-2012, 02:01 PM

Poor guy. If its not one thing, its another with his health. He had the surgery, but he should consider retirement. Honestly. Nothing is worth it if there's even a chance of a problem with his heart during the physical demands of the sport.

LuckyR
05-29-2012, 02:43 PM
The story stated he wore a portable EKG for several weeks and nothing unusual showed up. The docs then created the abnormality with some drug and worked from that point onward.

Other than substituting the word: "elicited" for "created", I agree wih your statement, and so does my post.

Bud
05-29-2012, 04:29 PM
Other than substituting the word: "elicited" for "created", I agree wih your statement, and so does my post.

Assuming it was the same abnormality, I agree with you. However, if they already knew how to elicit the response that was ailing him, why'd they make him wear a portable EKG for weeks - with no conclusive results? Did they really solve the correct issue or just take a stab in the dark?

It sounds like they tried to find the cause with an EKG and failed. The doctors then decided to get aggressive, based on Marty's desire for a cure. They proceeded to pump some drug into him that created (or elicited if you like) a response from his heart and worked from there.

dallastxtennis
05-30-2012, 06:57 AM

- - -

- - -

I am currently on Prozac and Xanax, trusted me anxiety/panic attacks is so freaking scary, entire of your body system is out of whack and you have to be on medication more likely for the rest of your life..in my heart I always hope and pray for my family's and everybody (included all TW members) I know does not have to experienced this.

LuckyR
05-30-2012, 09:47 AM
Assuming it was the same abnormality, I agree with you. However, if they already knew how to elicit the response that was ailing him, why'd they make him wear a portable EKG for weeks - with no conclusive results? Did they really solve the correct issue or just take a stab in the dark?

It sounds like they tried to find the cause with an EKG and failed. The doctors then decided to get aggressive, based on Marty's desire for a cure. They proceeded to pump some drug into him that created (or elicited if you like) a response from his heart and worked from there.

I kind of goes like this: someone says "I have what sounds to you like a rhythm disturbance and it occurs spontaneously once a month". Lets say he is essentially correct. You'll say "wear this one week monitor for a couple of weeks, maybe we'll get lucky and capture the rhythm". Unfortunately it doesn't happen during that time duration. You say "OK we'll stress your heart with some meds while you are on the monitor in the office and see if we can bring the rhythm out that way". It works --> diagnosis made --> treatment plan made --> carried out --> reported to media --> Tennis Talk forum thread.

Sid_Vicious
05-30-2012, 10:29 AM
"Electrical circuitry?" WTF is he the terminator?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_conduction_system_of_the_heart

Milan
05-30-2012, 12:35 PM

Hiter couldn't make Roddick look like Jesus, so he must be bad

Bud
05-30-2012, 05:08 PM
I kind of goes like this: someone says "I have what sounds to you like a rhythm disturbance and it occurs spontaneously once a month". Lets say he is essentially correct. You'll say "wear this one week monitor for a couple of weeks, maybe we'll get lucky and capture the rhythm". Unfortunately it doesn't happen during that time duration. You say "OK we'll stress your heart with some meds while you are on the monitor in the office and see if we can bring the rhythm out that way". It works --> diagnosis made --> treatment plan made --> carried out --> reported to media --> Tennis Talk forum thread.

Thanks for stating the obvious. I can follow what happened, based on the story.

What is your background with this subject? Are you an MD? A psychologist? A psychiatrist? Have you ever experienced any symptoms like those Fish experienced? Have you ever experienced a panic/anxiety attack?

Why didn't they simply do this procedure from the get go since they seemingly already had the diagnosis figured out? This could have been solved within hours rather than weeks.

I am currently on Prozac and Xanax, trusted me anxiety/panic attacks is so freaking scary, entire of your body system is out of whack and you have to be on medication more likely for the rest of your life..in my heart I always hope and pray for my family's and everybody (included all TW members) I know does not have to experienced this.

Yes, I know. However, you can learn to control them without all the medication. Fish stated that he figured out how to 'walk it off' after it happened the first time - which again points to a panic/anxiety attack. I don't know if you can walk off a heart rhythm disturbance - like what they treated.

I do hope they solved his issue as any heart issues are scary.